A rebuild of #miRustyJeep...

Anytime you have a bunch of people interacting without accountability (keyboard cowboys) you have squabbling and bitching. Happens here all the time.
I’ve been telling people this for years. We used to live in a society where you were held accountable for what you say. Generally you got popped in the mouth for mouthing off, learned your place, and the guy that popped you in the first place bought you a beer.

Now people both in person and on the internet run their mouths knowing they’re safe, either because you’ll get hit with assault charges, or you’re never gonna even see the person on the internet face to face. It’s a generation of cowards, and several of them live here on this forum.

I’ve been telling people this for years. We used to live in a society where you were held accountable for what you say. Generally you got popped in the mouth for mouthing off, learned your place, and the guy that popped you in the first place bought you a beer.

Now people both in person and on the internet run their mouths knowing they’re safe, either because you’ll get hit with assault charges, or you’re never gonna even see the person on the internet face to face. It’s a generation of cowards, and several of them live here on this forum.

Very well said.

Very well said.

John Mellencamp lyrics from Cherry Bomb:

"One night, me with my big mouth
A couple guys had to put me in my place
When I see those guys these days
We just laugh and say do you remember when"

This is exactly how I grew up! 🇺🇸

Hockey used to be a much more civil game before they really started cracking down on the fighting too.

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman
Break-in is well underway! Two 20 minute drives on the new gearset and nothing weird going on. Doing a little happy dance here.

Shit like this ruins my confidence in my abilities and makes me sensitive to every little squeak and rattle the ol girl makes. It will come back. Projects are on hold for a while though, my nerves need some time to heal, lol!

Break-in is well underway! Two 20 minute drives on the new gearset and nothing weird going on. Doing a little happy dance here.

Shit like this ruins my confidence in my abilities and makes me sensitive to every little squeak and rattle the ol girl makes. It will come back. Projects are on hold for a while though, my nerves need some time to heal, lol!

How do you like getting the power back? Can you go back to 4.10s again? 🙂

How do you like getting the power back? Can you go back to 4.10s again? 🙂
Haven't really gotten up to a speed fast enough to notice the difference yet. The manual is a whole different animal vs the auto. I think a lot of people deal with the gears they have because most wranglers (TJ and YJ anyway) are manuals. I'm sure once I start getting up to 65-70, it will be night an day, but at 55 and lower...its not a big deal. I caught myself cruising 50 mph in 4th today, because I'm just used to it, I guess.

Ok..Now I get it! I've got about 120 miles on the new gears now...in 20 to 30 minute trips with plenty of cool down time. Haven't gone over 65 yet... but wow...I can accelerate in 5th again!

So far, I'm not really noticing any vibs...My Rear view is steady as a rock, but the interior is "boomy." Having a hard time telling if its driveline vibs or just "jeep noise." My transmission is really loud, the exhaust has seen better days, and its all pretty close to the tub (not to mention that my shifter boot is probably torn...cuz aren't they all?). So, I'll crawl under and make sure my pinion angles are all good but I think this is a success...Finally.

I think the auto swap is going to happen sooner than I expected though...I need to do something with the transmission...Maybe the soft top going back on will delay that a bit. I suspect that the hardtop amplifies that rumble like a big echo chamber.

I also had some free time today to put my new fender flares on the rear to match my opened up wheel wells. I bought some of those KBS urethane ones a few months ago and painted them up with some Rustoleum Bed liner. I like that paint because its pretty durable and it matches the fine texture powdercoat on my bumpers. Tires aren't going to grab these anymore! And no, I'm not selling my Rubicon Flares...so don't bother asking, LOL.

1652673044204.png

All loaded up for a trip to the badlands this weekend. Looking forward to it for about 6 months now. First time towing the Jeep with the truck... It will be OK, by the numbers, but it's still pushing everything a bit more than I like. I wish the trailer was about 2 feet longer too. Would make weight distribution a bit better and make for better tie down locations.
IMG_20220519_194921692_HDR.jpg

All loaded up for a trip to the badlands this weekend. Looking forward to it for about 6 months now. First time towing the Jeep with the truck... It will be OK, by the numbers, but it's still pushing everything a bit more than I like. I wish the trailer was about 2 feet longer too. Would make weight distribution a bit better and make for better tie down locations. View attachment 331641

Take lots of photos .. I really need to start traveling more and visit the NPs.

I love the jeep/truck combo as well. Something to think about for me in the longer term.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_H
I love the jeep/truck combo as well. Something to think about for me in the longer term.
If it goes well, this is a pretty sweet combo. If I break the Jeep, I can move my flag to the truck and wheel that. It has lockers front and rear, off-road mode, an auto, and about 2x the power of the Jeep! Crappy rear overhang though. It would be just like driving an LJ, lol