A salute to my daughter

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
With graduation season in full swing I’m proud to recognize my daughter, youngest of my kids, for her accomplishments. Somewhere around 10th grade she announced she was going into the military, but you know how kids are at that age, they change their mind with the weather. Growing up she was a typical girly girl, dancing was her thing & she did it 7 days a week from the time she was around 3 years old, recitals, competitions, the whole nine yards, so the military seemed a bit out of character. But it stuck, she kept talking about it & by the time she entered her freshman year in college she immediately enrolled in ROTC with the intention of becoming an officer. She loved it & sometime during the spring semester she announced that she had enlisted in the Army and would depart for boot camp as soon as the semester was over. Of course, I was concerned about the sudden shift in direction but she explained that she wanted to experience the type of training soldiers get as opposed to the officer track. Anyway, off to Fort Leonard Wood she went & absolutely kicked ass, won the leadership award as voted by all the drill sergeants over all 180 of her peers & as a result of her performance upon her return to school in the Fall was sworn in as a cadet & given a full scholarship. She went on to perform admirably her remaining years there & climbed the ranks of her service fraternity to become president. Two weeks ago I attended the ceremony where she was sworn in as a 2nd Lieutenant in the US Army & the following day she received her Bachelor’s Degree. The day after that she left for Fort Indiantown Gap Pennsylvania for her annual training & in the fall will begin officer training in Virginia.

It’s difficult to explain how proud I am, but I’m sure most reading this understand. This is a shot of her first salute by SSG Murphy, her mentor, who traveled there to be part of the ceremony. I can tell you she was trembling.

IMG_9959.PNG

her mother and I painfully trying to attach her bars

IMG_9956.PNG
IMG_9955.PNG

the commission

Ali & the commission.jpg

the day before, just being a goofy college kid (she's on the left)

Ali & the donut.jpg

and finally, what I see every time I look at her

Ali.jpg

Congrats to both her and you! A job well done on both counts.

Reactions: Fixer6
Congrats to you and your daughter! Having two daughters myself, I look forward to things like this. I'm just trying to enjoy the time while they're still little... as hectic as it may be.

Reactions: Indy
That is totally cool that she found what she wants early in life and kicked ass doing it. It is also cool that she can still be "girly girl college kid" and an officer at the same time. Seeing that my daughter is going into her senior year of HS I can only hope she finds her passion as yours has done. You obviously did something right raising her (actually many things right)!

Congratulations! It’s been a little over 29 years since I pinned my Lieutenant and gave him his first salute. I still have that silver dollar

That is totally cool that she found what she wants early in life and kicked ass doing it. It is also cool that she can still be "girly girl college kid" and an officer at the same time. Seeing that my daughter is going into her senior year of HS I can only hope she finds her passion as yours has done. You obviously did something right raising her (actually many things right)!

Thanks, I’ll add that their mother packed up & split to follow her own interests & left the kids with me (thankfully), this young lady was 14 at the time so I ran with the football from that point forward – we are pretty tight to say the least. That said I can’t take the credit, she’s one of those rare people we all know in life that are so driven it’s something to behold, honestly I don’t know where she gets it, I’m no slouch but she leaves me in the dust. And yes she really is fortunate for having found something that she loves so much so early in life, her devotion to it makes it so obvious, we should all be so fortunate. Love this kid

IMG_9890.JPG

Congratulations! It’s been a little over 29 years since I pinned my Lieutenant and gave him his first salute. I still have that silver dollar

Excellent, and thank you! Nothing rattles this young lady, usually, but I'll tell you what got to her, awaiting the arrival of SSG Murphy prior to the ceremony had her pacing back & forth, he had such an influence on her in a positive way throughout the years leading up to that moment, his presence to give her that salute meant the world to her & I was glad to have a front row seat to watch it - it's a world I'm really not personally familiar with but I can understand it when she talks about it.

Great story! Your daughter is an impressive young woman and you've done a great job raising her. This is the type of story that I shared with my kids when they were young. I always wanted them to think of the future and the opportunities that were available to them. Congratulations and thanks for sharing this.

What a truly phenomenal success story about an amazing young woman. And as for being the proud papa, I can imagine you're about ready to burst with pride. Congratulations to all involved! (y)