A seat back storage idea borrowed from the YJ

jscherb

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Recently I came across photos of factory seats from a YJ Sahara. These seats had a band around the seatback with a bag attached to the back.

YJSaharaSeatBand_zpsjvgky8h4.jpg

I thought this might be useful in the TJ so I sewed one to test the idea. I sewed it using approximately the original YJ Sahara colors even though my seats are gray. The bands on the YJ seats are a permanent part of the upholstery but I implemented these as separate bands that slip over the seat back and have a snug fit so they don't go anywhere.

YJSaharaLJTest2_zpsmhl3zomw.jpg

YJSaharaLJTest1_zpspuhwqkrx.jpg

The YJ has webbing straps on each corner of the band and it isn't clear to me what those straps were intended to be used for but I included them in my TJ version anyway. Also the bags on the YJ seats are permanently sewn in place but I wanted a little more flexibility so I sewed a leather Molle strap across the back:

YJSaharaLJTest4_zpss2oi0dk4.jpg

Using the Molle strap, ordinary Molle bags can easily be attached. This is a military surplus belt pack:

YJSaharaLJTest5_zpskrll5lpb.jpg

A couple of other Molle bags:

YJSaharaLJTest6_zps93x6bcty.jpg

In this photo an Overland Outfitters "Grab & Go" bag (https://www.overland-outfitters.com/store/p11/Grab_&_Go_Bag_6"_&_12".html#/) is attached - unlike Molle bags, these bags have clips on the back that are like belt clips so the attach and remove much more easily than Molle bags.

YJSaharaLJTest3_zpsgxbmx3an.jpg

I think the seat strap is pretty useful so I think I'll sew a pair in gray to better match my seats.

BTW the bag on the inner fender is also an Overland Outfitters product, they call it a "Saddlebag" (https://www.overland-outfitters.com/store/p15/SADDLE_BAG_JK/JKU_2_Door/4_Door_(Pair).html#/) and it attaches to the hardtop bolt holes. They sell them for the JK/JKU but I added additional holes to the mounting strap so it matches the LJ hardtop bolt holes.

Recently I came across photos of factory seats from a YJ Sahara. These seats had a band around the seatback with a bag attached to the back.

View attachment 147889

I thought this might be useful in the TJ so I sewed one to test the idea. I sewed it using approximately the original YJ Sahara colors even though my seats are gray. The bands on the YJ seats are a permanent part of the upholstery but I implemented these as separate bands that slip over the seat back and have a snug fit so they don't go anywhere.

View attachment 147890

View attachment 147891

The YJ has webbing straps on each corner of the band and it isn't clear to me what those straps were intended to be used for but I included them in my TJ version anyway. Also the bags on the YJ seats are permanently sewn in place but I wanted a little more flexibility so I sewed a leather Molle strap across the back:

View attachment 147892

Using the Molle strap, ordinary Molle bags can easily be attached. This is a military surplus belt pack:

View attachment 147893

A couple of other Molle bags:

View attachment 147894

In this photo an Overland Outfitters "Grab & Go" bag (https://www.overland-outfitters.com/store/p11/Grab_&_Go_Bag_6"_&_12".html#/) is attached - unlike Molle bags, these bags have clips on the back that are like belt clips so the attach and remove much more easily than Molle bags.

View attachment 147895

I think the seat strap is pretty useful so I think I'll sew a pair in gray to better match my seats.

BTW the bag on the inner fender is also an Overland Outfitters product, they call it a "Saddlebag" (https://www.overland-outfitters.com/store/p15/SADDLE_BAG_JK/JKU_2_Door/4_Door_(Pair).html#/) and it attaches to the hardtop bolt holes. They sell them for the JK/JKU but I added additional holes to the mounting strap so it matches the LJ hardtop bolt holes.
Did you make the tray for the ammo can?

It's not a battery tray, it's something I designed specifically fit on the inner fender of the LJ although a battery can be carried in it. I also designed a TJ version but since I don't have a TJ, I haven't built one. A few photos of the LJ tray in place:

LJTray6_zpsntyv0ca2.jpg

I use one on the driver's side to carry the battery for my Trail Kitchen:

LJFridgeBattery_zpsp6wwzs7x.jpg

The battery is vaguely visible on in the tray in the front of the fridge:

LJKitchenInstalled2_zpsvaitqklu.jpg

I made the one on the driver's side and the one on the passenger side (in the photos in the first post in this thread) is a prototype made by a company that signed up to put the trays in production.

It's not a battery tray, it's something I designed specifically fit on the inner fender of the LJ although a battery can be carried in it. I also designed a TJ version but since I don't have a TJ, I haven't built one. A few photos of the LJ tray in place:

View attachment 147930

I use one on the driver's side to carry the battery for my Trail Kitchen:

View attachment 147931

The battery is vaguely visible on in the tray in the front of the fridge:

View attachment 147932

I made the one on the driver's side and the one on the passenger side (in the photos in the first post in this thread) is a prototype made by a company that signed up to put the trays in production.
You did a great job on those straps around the seats! Nice setup. is there any reason that ammo can tray for the LJ wouldn't work on a TJ?

Reactions: Fonz54
You did a great job on those straps around the seats! Nice setup.

Thanks. As soon as I get a little time I'll sew a set in gray to match the seats, I think those will look even better.

is there any reason that ammo can tray for the LJ wouldn't work on a TJ?

The LJ ammo can tray design can't be used in the TJ because the distance between the roll bar and the steep downward slope of the inner fender is a lot shorter on the TJ then it is on the LJ. The TJ design has a bracket to support the front corner of the tray; the LJ version has a simple screw-adjustable foot. The TJ version is more like the version I did for the JK 2dr, you can see the support bracket in this photo of a JK 2dr tray:

FinalFat50_zpsjnxluegn.jpg

Reactions: TJProjectRon
@jscherb Very nicely done. You might want to look at this also :)
Thank you.

I experimented with a full seat-back panel a while back (https://colemans.com/u-s-g-i-molle-ii-vehicle-panel, when I bought it they were on sale for $12.95) and I didn't like how that style looked or fit. When I saw the YJ photos in my first post I thought it would be worth a try because I didn't want to hang a bunch of things on the seat, just one or two.

I also sewed another style seat-back solution, I'll get the photos together and post about that soon.

Thanks. As soon as I get a little time I'll sew a set in gray to match the seats, I think those will look even better.

The LJ ammo can tray design can't be used in the TJ because the distance between the roll bar and the steep downward slope of the inner fender is a lot shorter on the TJ then it is on the LJ. The TJ design has a bracket to support the front corner of the tray; the LJ version has a simple screw-adjustable foot. The TJ version is more like the version I did for the JK 2dr, you can see the support bracket in this photo of a JK 2dr tray:

View attachment 148016
So there is a TJ version. That answers my question. Thanks jscherb.

Here's another seat back Molle idea. This one also slips over the seat, it sits higher on the seat than the first one in this thread, it's designed to go around the headrest portion. On the back it's got a leather Molle strap and note the zipper along the bottom in the back.

TJZipperM_zps2a4zozlf.jpg

Some of the things that can hang on it...

Molle bags:

MolleLJ_zpsbg1mhqj5.jpg

A larger military surplus waist pack. In the first post of this thread I showed this bag attached using the Molle straps it has on the back but in this case it's attached using a zipper I sewed on the back of the bag. Why the zipper instead of the Molle straps? Because it zips off and on in seconds vs. having to thread or unthread the Molle straps through the loops.

MilitaryOnLJ_zpsaj3l1pfe.jpg

A leather bag designed for motorcycle handlebars. I modified this one, removing the handlebar straps and sewing a zipper across the back so it can quickly zip in place/zip off:

BikerLJ_zpsircnez0b.jpg

An Overland Outfitters "Backpack" Bag. This one zips in place and also comes with a shoulder strap for use like a messenger bag and with straps for wearing as a backpack. It's intended for the JK and JL but the zipper I put on the strap on the seat is compatible with it.

TJZipperFBackpack_zps6enucbl3.jpg

A trash bag I found at Walmart for $5. It was designed to strap around the headrest posts (which TJ's don't have), so I removed those straps and sewed a zipper across the top.

TrashLJ_zpsoybbwsp6.jpg

At the start of this thread I posted this Molle band for the LJ's seats:

YJSaharaLJTest2_zpsmhl3zomw.jpg

The idea came from YJ Sahara seats, although on the YJ the bands are permanently sewn to the seats. I updated the design so the band just slips over the seat and is removable, and it supports Molle bags on back.

A pair of YJ originals that have seen better days:

CLSeats1_zpsa8ibywez.jpg

Even though my interior isn't Spice color, I sewed the one in the first photo in Spice/tan to match the YJ originals just to see how they might compare to the original. I just sewed a set in gray to match my leather upholstery.

YJSaharaGrayBand2_zpsxbq844wj.jpg

YJSaharaGrayBand1_zpsdmcvpp5p.jpg

With a military surplus Molle bag:

YJSaharaGrayBandMolle_zpsvvckd9g5.jpg

Reactions: Fonz54
The YJ Sahara came with a bag permanently attached to the back of the seat:

YJSaharaSeatBand_zpsjvgky8h4.jpg

I also sewed an updated version of the bag. I made it all gray without the Spice accents because my interior is gray/dark gray. Might look better in dark gray but I had all the necessary materials in light gray so that's what I used.

SaharaBagProto1b_zpsebawowti.jpg

My updated design bag is removable and attaches with Molle straps. It also has a shoulder strap.

SaharaBagProto1a_zpsnwxalvwc.jpg

I'm not sure the YJ style bag is very useful because it's pretty small and doesn't hold much, but I can see lots of uses for Molle bags hanging on the seat backs.

YJSaharaGrayBands_zpsuedmwawq.jpg

Do you sell these? They're beautiful and exactly what I need for my Jurassic tribute. Awesome idea!
I don't sell anything, I just design stuff for my own use but sometimes companies pick up my designs and bring them to market. In this case, I recently did some designs that a company did pick up, like this canvas/leather seat back bag:

OOTanBagOnYJStrap.jpg

A version in black with red stitching:

OOBlackBagOnYJStrap.jpg

These are part of a set of products that include luggage, and fitted inner fender bags:

OOLuggage.jpg

These are all shown in my LJ, and the seat back bags are hanging on the YJ Sahara straps I made, but the company hasn't picked up the YJ Sahara straps. You could ask them, though, they've done custom work before - you can use the "Contact Us" link on their web site (https://www.overland-outfitters.com) and ask them if they'd be willing to do something for you.

Jeff, do any of the JK or JL Overland Outfitter saddle bags fit the LJ? I see your bags in the photos and something like that would be very handy for my girls on long trips in the back of the Jeep. I'm just not familiar enough with the geometry to know if the geometry is close enough to allow for a clean install on the older model, and I see they don't offer anything for TJs or LJs.

Reactions: Midnight LJR
Jeff, do any of the JK or JL Overland Outfitter saddle bags fit the LJ? I see your bags in the photos and something like that would be very handy for my girls on long trips in the back of the Jeep. I'm just not familiar enough with the geometry to know if the geometry is close enough to allow for a clean install on the older model, and I see they don't offer anything for TJs or LJs.
The Saddlebags I use in my LJ are their JK version. I mounted it using the JK 2dr mounting strip they provide. The shape of the bag works well with the LJ's inner fenders but I had to punch new holes in the webbing to line up with the bolt holes in the LJ tub.

Reactions: en480c4
I started this project because I was intrigued by the factory YJ Sahara bags - I like the look and functionality and thought it would be interesting to see if the same idea could be easily adapted to TJ seats without modifying the seats. That experiment succeeded and now it's turning into something...

A company you would all know is doing a special Jeep build to celebrate their anniversary. They've got a retro design theme for the Jeep and they like the idea of the YJ Sahara seat bags too. They also like the Overland Outfitters storage products and they've asked OO to do a special design for their anniversary build so OO has asked me to help them with the design.

The interior of the company's anniversary Jeep has Corbeau seats with custom upholstery and they've asked for a modernized version of the YJ seat back bags to mount on those seats. The production version of the Overland Outfitters bags has a zipper attachment that mounts to the headrest posts, but the Corbeau seats don't have removable headrests - they have a one-piece seat back with a hole in the upper back for a 4-point harness to pass through so I came up with a mounting method for those seats that doesn't require modification to the seats. I sewed a quick proof-of-concept and "installed" it in a cardboard mockup of the Corbeau seat back.

CorbeauProofOfConcept.jpg

I sent the company those photos and they liked it so a week ago I met with them to test the proof-of-concept design on their actual anniversary Jeep project Corbeau seats. They fit great so it looks like the seat back bags are a go for the anniversary Jeep. They seem to like the smaller tan bag in the photo above, so I think they'll be going with those in the anniversary Jeep.