A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

Somebody is going to offer you a price that you can’t refuse for yours in 6 mos tops and you’ll be in an LJR....I am certain of this lol. Your not spreading the build out enough. Your gonna be done and the rush will be gone haha...and your family will outgrow the TJR. Let’s all take a bet on this hahaha

I don't care for the look of the longer LJs to be honest. I thought I did at one point, but I'm over it. Plus, if I were to sell this thing, someone would have to offer me 35k at least. I simply don't want to start over on any big project like this. Not until the kids are grown or something!

The outboard is a big enough can of worms. I'll warn you their are 5-6 movements and points of reference that all need to line up at once. That's each side.

Mine turned out fairly well. But I know where it could be better and I can definitely see how easy it is to screw up.

Really? It seemed pretty simple. GenRight says their outboard mounts come with instructions in regards to where to mount them. I'll have the same shop that is doing my gears install the kit, as they said they've done plenty of outboard shock conversions, so I have to imagine they know what they're doing.

That’s a very fair price. If you do decide to go coilovers down the road check out MotoBilt, they have kits that make it a breeze as long as you or a buddy can weld. They even have TJ and LJ frame back half kits which is in the next stage of my build along with axles.

What kind of axles are you going to run, Dana 60s?

I hadn't heard of MotoBilt until now, only King. I'll check them out!

Reactions: DA RUNT

Really? It seemed pretty simple. GenRight says their outboard mounts come with instructions in regards to where to mount them. I'll have the same shop that is doing my gears install the kit, as they said they've done plenty of outboard shock conversions, so I have to imagine they know what they're doing.

Looks are deceiving. Its a very nuanced installation If your shop knows what they are doing, then it should be fine. :)

Looks are deceiving. Its a very nuanced installation If your shop knows what they are doing, then it should be fine. :)

That's why I'm paying for them to do it. I can't weld, so I wouldn't do much good installing them myself anyways!

I'll be happy to have it done though. That tummy tuck has my driveline thinking I've got 7-8" of lift, so my rear axle is tilted so far back that even with the lower shock mount extension brackets, the shocks are still almost touching the lower spring perch.

If I moved the driveline up even an inch more, my track bar would be hitting my fuel tank skid.

Reactions: DA RUNT
What kind of axles are you going to run, Dana 60s?

I hadn't heard of MotoBilt until now, only King. I'll check them out!

If I can’t find 60’s for a reasonable price I’ll end up building some junkyard 14’s or older 60’s.

Yeah motobilt is a smaller company but they really cater to the older jeeps

I about fell over when I saw the mods you did at the start .....I knew that nice Rubi you started with wasn't found cheap.

I have the Bartact seat covers too , really glad I got them.

Reactions: Chris
I about fell over when I saw the mods you did at the start .....I knew that nice Rubi you started with wasn't found cheap.

I have the Bartact seat covers too , really glad I got them.

I'm over 15k in mods, haha. It's absurd how much money you can spend on these things.

I still need to grab a pair of Bartact covers!

@Chris that's a very fair price and you will be supporting a good local shop which is always nice. Plus they will warranty the work and will take care of you if something isn't right, so it's a win-win-win. Please post your thoughts on before vs after when you get the TJ back!

Reactions: Chris
Somebody is going to offer you a price that you can’t refuse for yours in 6 mos tops and you’ll be in an LJR....I am certain of this lol. Your not spreading the build out enough. Your gonna be done and the rush will be gone haha...and your family will outgrow the TJR. Let’s all take a bet on this hahaha
I’d put money on this. Just don’t steal my future LJR Chris!

I’d put money on this. Just don’t steal my future LJR Chris!

Used to have an LJR (albeit I don’t have any photos unfortunately). I don’t miss it. I prefer the short wheelbase personally! I sold it specifically for that reason, because I wanted a TJ.

Well guys and gals, I decided to add up the cost of parts (not including shipping or labor) that I've put into my TJ so far and I came up with this number:

$17,286

Read post number one for a breakdown of the cost of parts.

It's official, I've gone off the deep end.

Reactions: EJD
Haha a number I’ll never calculate.

It was boredom. @Starrs seemed a bit shocked when I told him the other day via text that I estimated I'd probably put 15k into it. He didn't see how that was possible, but now he can definitely understand how it's possible.

I wasn't expecting the number to be that high, haha! :risas3:

Reactions: Starrs
It was boredom. @Starrs seemed a bit shocked when I told him the other day via text that I estimated I'd probably put 15k into it. He didn't see how that was possible, but now he can definitely understand how it's possible.

I wasn't expecting the number to be that high, haha! :risas3:
I forgot all the little expensive things you had bought lol. Tummy tuck was expensive!

I forgot all the little expensive things you had bought lol. Tummy tuck was expensive!

It all adds up fast! But this further reinforces the fact that if I ever were to sell this, I wouldn't even consider it unless someone offered me an outrageous amount of money. Otherwise I'd be losing so much money I wouldn't even be able to stomach it.

It all adds up fast! But this further reinforces the fact that if I ever were to sell this, I wouldn't even consider it unless someone offered me an outrageous amount of money. Otherwise I'd be losing so much money I wouldn't even be able to stomach it.

Thats why you see those insane figures for some of those builds out there, whether they're your style or not the price tag adds up quick.