A TJ owner building up a JKU

lovemachine

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Yea yea, I know this is a TJ forum. But I like this forum better than the others. And I want to build my new JKU from a TJ owners view.

I bought a 2015 JKU Rubicon because it’s a pain getting my sons in the TJ. They are 18 months and 1 month old. My TJ will become the new fun weekend toy. My JKUR will be my daily driver.

2XlfXbc.jpg

TR9hHkw.jpg

My new JKUR came with 285/70/17 tires with 17” American Racing wheels. Mastercraft tires. The look fairly new, so I’ll just keep running them until I need new tires. I’ll either go to Duratrac or KO2’s.
It does drive me nuts the previous owner didn’t buy a matching spare. I may fork over $200 for a matching spare.

At the moment, I’m not sure if I will lift it. I still have time to consider that. I would like to hear some input from you guys though. Be aware that this is MY “minivan” for my boys :)

I plan on buying new front and rear bumpers. Right now, I’m going to get a front bumper and a winch. I want to go with aluminum. With the weight of steel plus a winch, I have read that the springs will really settle, and cause more of a rake on these JKU’s. And since I don’t plan on lifting it yet, I prefer the light weight of aluminum.

I really like the looks of Rock Hard 4x4. And since I have their rear bumper and tire carrier on my TJ, I know they make good quality stuff.

I like:
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5048.htm

And:
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5045.htm

I just can’t make up my mind if I want full or mid width.

Any thoughts? I am VERY hopeful to get some input from other TJ owners :)

Is the color called Anvil, or is that what you call the rig? That is an appropriate name, either way. I really do dig that color. Wonder what a TJ would look like in that...?

Is the color called Anvil, or is that what you call the rig? That is an appropriate name, either way. I really do dig that color. Wonder what a TJ would look like in that...?

It’s the color.

I will admit I have thought of pricing to have my TJ painted the same color....

Reactions: Squatch
The ARB stubby is a nice JK bumper. 2.5” 35s and you want to regear for sure. IMO 33s are just a tad small on the JKU. Build it how you want at the end of the day. Your driving it

Well I decided to get the mid width. Went ahead and ordered it, with a Warn Zeon 10-s winch.

And tomorrow I’ll be stopping at the bank and paying off the remaining balance on the Jeep. :)

Be aware that this is MY “minivan” for my boys :)

You can do a 2 inch budget boost on the cheap and run 285/75/17 on those rims(I assume are stock BS with the tires on it), they are just shy of 34s and will look good. My wife's is still very capable offroad. She opted to not go with more lift due to DD and kids/dogs.

Here's stock and 2 inch boost
PhotoGrid_1499979587761.jpg
with the 255/75s (32s) OE tires.

3 inch of lift and 35s you have to climb in and out. Her JKU next to my JK.
20171211_191048.jpg

Reactions: Squatch
So hopefully my bumper and winch will ship out this week.

And my JKUR is officially paid off. Hoping to get the title soon :)

Hah! It’s called Anvil. It’s my all time favorite color on the JKU’s.
I also like Anvil. You said you weren't sure about lift, but here's my JKUR.

It's a 10A and has stock metal bumpers. They are thin metal so not real heavy. If I replace them I would definitely go aluminium. Anyway, 3.5" metalcloak lift, 37" STT Pro, aluminum skids, Currie steering, Revolution shafts, teraflex ball joints and other odds and ends. Its drives great on the street. In fact, drove it to VT this week for the Killington Jeep Jamboree.
20180606_110817.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's a 10A and has stock metal bumpers. They are thin metal so not real heavy. If I replace them I would definitely go aluminium. Anyway, 3.5" metalcloak lift, 37" STT Pro, aluminum skids, Currie steering, Revolution shafts, teraflex ball joints and other odds and ends. Its drives great on the street. In fact, drove it to VT this week for the Killington Jeep Jamboree.View attachment 47900

If I ever went to the dark JKU side it would be an Anvil 10A. Great looking rig!

Reactions: Pokey02
What happened to yours? Did you sell? Dont see as many of them anymore, that's for sure.

Yeah I sold it, It was a 6 spd and my back got so bad I couldn’t wheel it anymore. I’ve had surgery since then, maybe one day the old back will be good enough that I can get another.

Reactions: Pokey02
Yeah I sold it, It was a 6 spd and my back got so bad I couldn’t wheel it anymore. I’ve had surgery since then, maybe one day the old back will be good enough that I can get another.
Ah, sorry to hear about your back. I will hope you have a full recovery and can get another!

Reactions: DA RUNT

It's a 10A and has stock metal bumpers. They are thin metal so not real heavy. If I replace them I would definitely go aluminium. Anyway, 3.5" metalcloak lift, 37" STT Pro, aluminum skids, Currie steering, Revolution shafts, teraflex ball joints and other odds and ends. Its drives great on the street. In fact, drove it to VT this week for the Killington Jeep Jamboree.View attachment 47900

Nice 10a, makes me miss mine just a little
View attachment 48216

And now I’m thinking I want to lift mine now. I almost decided against it.

Dang you guys :)

Reactions: DA RUNT
I’m hoping to get my bumper and winch this week. Rock Hard 4x4 informed me that they are waiting to get my winch from Warn. I just ordered at a bad time I guess.

I didn’t want to be a typical JK owner. So LED light bar was out of the question.

Instead, I went with a pair of KC Gravity Led’s :)

KbrAK5y.jpg