Aaron's Yellow Submarine

MeanGreen86

Buy once, cry once
Supporting Member
I was introduced to off roading when I bought my xterra. It was a great rig and I learned alot but the aftermarket sucks and IFS can only do so much. I picked up my 04 LJ auto about a month ago. It already had BDS springs and bilstien shock and GOD awful poly body mounts that squeak so much (on my short list to replace). So far I replaced the wheels and put on 33x10.5 general grabber x3 tires. I'm waiting on some free time to install my bed rug kit. Plans are for 4.56 gears and to stay 33 until I get the wifes subaru as a daily in a few years when she upgrades.

Before taking ownership: 35's and wheels that wont pass inspection in PA. I'm new to Jeeps but thanks to this forum, I've already fixed a few items.
Day 1
DNcGYuJ.jpg

Today 1.16.2024
33" general grabber
1" spacers
3" rock jock springs
1.25 Savvy body lift
Barnes stubby front bumper
Barnes rear bumper
Barnes gas tank skid
Barnes 2" belly skid
Adams Offroad driveshafts front/rear
RockJock control arms
RockJock front/rear track bar
Savvy cable shifter
Warn 9000 winch
Universal crossmember tummy tuck
Genright aluminum boat sides
Savvy engine skid
AntiRock sway bar
...thats it for now. Saving for 35's/lockers/axles
ZTDihMC.jpg

YYRjP7P.jpg

and one shot of my old ride for fun.
4ZN4t01.jpg

Last edited:
Not much to post lately. I dropped of the LJ at a shop to have them go through it with a fine tooth comb and state inspection..... ouch
things wrong:
-ebrake
-almost all control arm/suspension bolts were loose-ish
-cats replace and new exhaust system
-driver wheel seal leaking- turns out the driver rear axle had some damage that ruined the wheel seal AND the rear diff! big ouch. The gear was replaced, the axle, added a LSD
-The poly body mounts the PO put on were not even designed for the Jeep and was causing the squeak!! those have been replaced with stock

I'm hoping to get it back this week and get back to enjoying the LJ and add the parts on.

Last edited:
I had a productive weekend with the EL J this weekend.
Paramount flares- they're a cheaper version of the bushwhacker flat flare. $190 from Quadratec and I'm pretty happy. they're a little flimsy out of the box but when you bolt them in they firmed up. the led turns are pretty bright too.
3gw1VqW.jpg

I also started adding the interior lights with LEDs and found a bonus piece of metal behind my stereo. any thoughts?
EkBGTIy.jpg

bKf6bvA.jpg

crKeM3U.jpg

I'm also troubleshooting my the stereo isn't transmitting sound to the speakers. Could it be just a ground?

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
This weekend I put the front half of my bedrug in, swapped out my marker lights with some newer ones, and my mml came in. This weekend starts thanksgiving break and I plan to finish the LED interior lights, install the rear bed rug, and start my custom front bumper build. if anyone has a link for small 3" flush mount fog lights let me know.
iZWLuUO.jpg

oiPMTaf.jpg

With school going on and work i haven't made it up to the off-road park so i had a little fun on the loading dock at work.
zBa3507.jpg

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I am loving this thing. A buddy hooked me up with a bestop nx top for a steal of a price. My currie control arm kit came in along with my spicer diff skid (going on dec 5) I'll have to wait until after its shakedown test at the off-road park to put the teraflex track bars, body lift, and MML in. I also chopped the bumper and added a steering skid (no name on amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MH2F122/?tag=wranglerorg-20 34$). future plans are to add factory style tow hooks (purchased) a winch and smooth out all the extra holes. I'm still not sure if I want to add any bar work in the front.
waVQXhY.jpg

UZe01XY.jpg

I was introduced to off roading when I bought my xterra. It was a great rig and I learned alot but the aftermarket sucks and IFS can only do so much. I picked up my 04 LJ auto about a month ago. It already had BDS springs and bilstien shock and GOD awful poly body mounts that squeak so much (on my short list to replace). So far I replaced the wheels and put on 33x10.5 general grabber x3 tires. I'm waiting on some free time to install my bed rug kit. Plans are for 4.56 gears and to stay 33 until I get the wifes subaru as a daily in a few years when she upgrades.

Before taking ownership: 35's and wheels that wont pass inspection in PA. I'm new to Jeeps but thanks to this forum, I've already fixed a few items already.
View attachment 193828
View attachment 193829
View attachment 193830
View attachment 193831
and one shot of my old ride for fun.
View attachment 193832
Nice! that's how my journey started also, wanted to "wheel" my taco but realized its the WRONG platform unless a SAS and tube bed are in the works.

Reactions: MeanGreen86
I finally took the LJ out on the trails this past weekend. I went with a buddy in his lifted LJ and another in his stock tacoma. I was the only one with off-road experience so we stuck to the easy trails...this time. Being the trail leader meant no good action shots. The jeep handled every obstacle so much better compared to my Xterra. I'm looking forward to going back and pushing it a bit harder. Plans from here are engine and gas tank skid. Hopefully get my Saavy control arms on soon. then by spring a tummy tuck, sye and driveshaft. gears would be nice too haha
lJxjAbo.jpg

eaUTflG.jpg

YZJUI14.jpg

I finally took the LJ out on the trails this past weekend. I went with a buddy in his lifted LJ and another in his stock tacoma. I was the only one with off-road experience so we stuck to the easy trails...this time. Being the trail leader meant no good action shots. The jeep handled every obstacle so much better compared to my Xterra. I'm looking forward to going back and pushing it a bit harder. Plans from here are engine and gas tank skid. Hopefully get my Saavy control arms on soon. then by spring a tummy tuck, sye and driveshaft. gears would be nice too haha
View attachment 210694
View attachment 210695
View attachment 210696
Looks like all of that mist is going to be a lot of white stuff tomorrow. Hope you can get out in it - wish I was there.

Looks like all of that mist is going to be a lot of white stuff tomorrow. Hope you can get out in it - wish I was there.
The fog was ridiculous. If I went more than 30 yards ahead I couldn't see the guy behind me with his lights off.

we got close to a foot. I stopped for a picture on my way home.
ZqydF06.jpg

This weekend I ordered:
New mirrors with body mount brackets
Single din stereo to replace the double din that hasn't worked since I bought the jeep
Off brand Grabars thank you @Mike_H for providing the link in your build thread

My heater controls have been wonky. I replaced the vacuum line under the hood and all was good... for a few weeks then i only had defrost. after my wheeling trip i noticed that my actuator attached to the vent selector had fallen out. I think i'm missing a clip so duct tape will have to do for now. So a little PSA before you tear apart your heater system, check this actuator under the dash in front of your center console by the floor.
MHrkDIR.jpg

and make sure the arm is pressed onto the vent control arm
finally a picture just because I'm loving this Jeep.
pvXJzE8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_H
I joined the round tail light club this weekend. Big shout out and thank you to @Alex01 for all the help an info on the tail lights. I still need to figure out a rear side marker/parking light but I'm happy with the look.
Litedot= $200
Amazon route= $30 for tail lights, $30 Milwaukie 4.5" hole saw, $0.87 worth of butt connectors and heat shrink = $61
I also picked up this slick rear license plate mount with a third brake light. Trailer hitch has been removed as well. Next on the list is savvy engine skid and body lift.
HunDBIG.jpg

4.5" hole saw
FORDOtq.jpg

uaqrzOt.jpg

I joined the round tail light club this weekend. Big shout out and thank you to @Alex01 for all the help an info on the tail lights. I still need to figure out a rear side marker/parking light but I'm happy with the look.
Litedot= $200
Amazon route= $30 for tail lights, $30 Milwaukie 4.5" hole saw, $0.87 worth of butt connectors and heat shrink = $61
I also picked up this slick rear license plate mount with a third brake light. Trailer hitch has been removed as well. Next on the list is savvy engine skid and body lift.
View attachment 222337
4.5" hole saw
View attachment 222338
View attachment 222339
Great job!!! Welcome to the club.