About to finish MS Degree in Physiology and...?

Stockli

TJ Enthusiast
I am just about to finish up my MS and I don’t know where to go from here.

I have been working since 1996 and went back to school a few years back for science. I have Management, sales, marketing and loads of lab experience in both human and animal phys labs.

My question, how can I find a job that pays me for my experience plus education?

In my field I am worried I won’t get paid what I am worth.

Does anyone here have an MA degree and willing to share your experience and maybe give me some tips?

Maybe someone in HR or something?

Thanks guys

Reactions: glwood
What can you do with a physiology degree? I worked in labs for several years Before changing professions. Can you get a job as a senior scientist at a lab? I’d think you need a PhD for that. Not sure what you can do at the M.S level

JMT I had planned on going on to get my PhD but for right now I am too burnt to get it done. I really need to get back into the workforce.

Most of the research jobs that would be available for an MS
lab manager
Staff physiologist at a hospital
Non tenure instructor
Various university admin jobs

I’m more looking for: I got out of my field and did this instead type of recommendations. Once you got out of the lab what’d you end up doing?

JMT I had planned on going on to get my PhD but for right now I am too burnt to get it done. I really need to get back into the workforce.

lab manager
Non tenure instructor

I’m more looking for: I got out of my field and did this instead type of recommendations. Once you got out of the lab what’d you end up doing?
Going back to school! LOL! Actually, like you, I went to school nights and weekends while working in the lab for another profession, one I was passionate about.

lab manager
Non tenure instructor

Just have to find what you love. You’ll usually be successful if you do that, and you’ll enjoy what you’re doing. Of course, there’s the 10,000 hr rule, which some consider false, but there does seem to be something to it. At that many hours in you’ve learned most of the ins and outs and it can get boring

lab manager
Non tenure instructor

I would think the hospital setting would be best for your skill set/credentials.

Starr’s thank you.

That is what I am thinking as well.

My biggest dilemma: I’m 41 and just getting out with my MS, I need to make my resume stand out against recent 20 something MS grads that will come cheap.

Going back to school! LOL! Actually, like you, I went to school nights and weekends while working in the lab for another profession, one I was passionate about.

Lol, going back to school was great but now I’m nervous about working, gah

Starr’s thank you.

That is what I am thinking as well.

My biggest dilemma: I’m 41 and just getting out with my MS, I need to make my resume stand out against recent 20 something MS grads that will come cheap.
I’m an assistant director of nursing at a long term care facility and when I’m picking candidates I honestly don’t notice age. We pay our employees based on experience, and that hasn’t stopped us once from hiring somebody. Have your resume proof read buy multiple buddies, buy a nice fitting suit, and sell your soul to them lol. Honestly the resume is the starter so make sure your resume is on point. Your degree and experience should bode well for you.

Reactions: JMT
I agree with @Starrs that your previous background and experience is a bonus.

It’s really what you want to pursue: University teaching or hospital or laboratory. If you’re strongly academically bent then teaching, if you’re into research then lab, if a people person and team player then hospital. I’d pursue hospital. And no worries, it’s time to start making some money. Look for a job with potential, and ask the employer what opportunities there are for advancement. Be purposeful and have some good questions

Reactions: Starrs
I feel that how you interview really seals the deal. If your resume gets you an interview, you need to take the opportunity when it presents to show them you are the person for that position. Goes back to what @JMT said, you have to want it and believe that you are that guy for that job. I thank my forensics teacher in high school for giving me the confidence to speak in front of crowds and strangers, and to be able to convey my feelings in a genuine manner. Practice interviewing with a buddy or your mom or someone. But if you are hesitant / nervous, they are going to sense that . Maybe seek some counseling to sort out why you are feeling that way . YOU CAN DO IT

As a senior manager at a manufacturing company, I cannot relate exactly to healthcare, but I do get a lot of opportunity for interviews and reviewing resumes.

Some advice... Only put relevant info in the resume. I don't need to know about every job you've had since highschool, nor do I need to know every detail of every job you've had. 2 pages...MAX. Have it proofread... Typos and spelling errors show me you don't have good attention to detail.

Write a cover letter. The cover letter should be written specifically for the job you are applying for. This is where you tell the potential employer why they should interview you, and how you can help them.

That's just to get you in the door...

Reactions: KMG
Wife has degree in Psychology and Spanish...now a Director of Account management in a Health Insurance company...no relation to her degree. Now, she was young when she started out and the HMO/insurance was an emerging industry then. I agree getting into healthcare is probably the fit. The industry is never going to disappear, it cannot be driven down profit wise by the internet (how many industries can say that?). If @Starrs is willing, I sure would run my resume past him for an honest opinion?

Reactions: Starrs
As a senior manager at a manufacturing company, I cannot relate exactly to healthcare, but I do get a lot of opportunity for interviews and reviewing resumes.

Some advice... Only put relevant info in the resume. I don't need to know about every job you've had since highschool, nor do I need to know every detail of every job you've had. 2 pages...MAX. Have it proofread... Typos and spelling errors show me you don't have good attention to detail.

Write a cover letter. The cover letter should be written specifically for the job you are applying for. This is where you tell the potential employer why they should interview you, and how you can help them.

That's just to get you in the door...
Exactly the advice I am looking for thank you

Reactions: Mike_H