AC compressor questions/on passenger side??

jwmays.81

Supporting Member
Hey guys and gals! First time poster and new to the TJ world. I bought my 2000 TJ knowing that the AC didn't work, but I'm now trying to see what all needs to be done to get it working properly. The puzzling thing is that is appears that the AC compressor is mounted in a completely different location than every other engine bay pic that I've come across, which have the AC compressor under the power steering pump on the driver side. It also looks to me that the wire loom around the wire that runs to what I believe is the refrigerant pressure switch is newer than others under the hood. There is also the unused plug that is zip tied above the fuel rail with newer looking wire loom. There are currently no wires running to the AC compressor clutch, but I have verified proper functionality with test wires.

Is this a retrofit kit or an optional factory mounting location? The current location does make it more difficult to remove that most forward bolt on the coil rail to replace the sparkplugs. Everything else seems to be in place to complete the system.

Thanks in advance for any information!

AC compressor location.jpg

Hey guys and gals! First time poster and new to the TJ world. I bought my 2000 TJ knowing that the AC didn't work, but I'm now trying to see what all needs to be done to get it working properly. The puzzling thing is that is appears that the AC compressor is mounted in a completely different location than every other engine bay pic that I've come across, which have the AC compressor under the power steering pump on the driver side. It also looks to me that the wire loom around the wire that runs to what I believe is the refrigerant pressure switch is newer than others under the hood. There is also the unused plug that is zip tied above the fuel rail with newer looking wire loom. There are currently no wires running to the AC compressor clutch, but I have verified proper functionality with test wires.

Is this a retrofit kit or an optional factory mounting location? The current location does make it more difficult to remove that most forward bolt on the coil rail to replace the sparkplugs. Everything else seems to be in place to complete the system.

Thanks in advance for any information!

View attachment 250525
The location is 100% factory as the compressor was installed in different locations depending on year, same as my 99.