AC only blowing out of defroster vents

Scott armstrong

Hey guys, I got an 01 TJ and my AC will come out of my defroster no matter what setting I have it on.
1. I checked for vacuum leaks on the line
2. No cracks at the infamous T or by the intake manifold, cruise control works fine
3. I replaced the AC fan switch on the dash
What else is there to do or check? Mechanic said there’s no vacuum leaks and I’m not finding any. No matter what setting I’m on, it’ll blow weakly out of the selected vent, and heavily out of the defroster.

Sounds like your blend door is stuck then. That’s almost always a vacuum leak, but it could be broken or jammed too.

I would do a smoke test on the vacuum system to see if you can identify any vacuum leaks you might be missing, assuming the mechanic didn’t do it already.

Reactions: BoldlyGoing
What about the vacuum switch itself? Mine did the same and that was it. A week later it did it again and it was the vacuum line under the hood.

So the blend door looks fine. I took off the kick panel under the steering wheel and watched it change position every time I turn the switch. But for some reason the majority of my air still comes out of my defroster.
Where can I find the vacuum switch?

Mine ended up being the control panel itself. On the back there is a part that as you change flow between vents, it changes the vacuum. Unfortunately that part is discontinued... thus a whole new control panel. Morris 4x4 has them.