AC Refrigerant Leak

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
OK, so it's getting close to summer here in Texas and my AC was not cooling well. So I bought some refrigerant . When I put it in I immediately saw a couple of little pools leaking. Is it worth it to give it a try to add some product that says it will stop leaks?

Any shop can perform a dye test and see where the leaks are. Many times it is simply o rings that need replacing.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid the Stop-Leak, generally it does more harm than good. Where are the leaks showing up.
Why I always ask now! Thanks. Arrows aren't the best but I saw Refrigerant pooling in these two locations.
IMG_5825.JPG

What you are seeing at those locations is condensate from the cold pipe vs the warm humid air and it is totally normal. If you have to add refrigerant they have cans with UV dye as Rob suggested and with a UV light some leaks can be easily traced.

Yeah, I just called my mechanic. He said, don't put that stuff in there, it will just swell the rings at the joints, then they'll all go bad. Said bring it in, take a look, he said the liquid, (which was clear) was oil from the condenser), said we'd have to add some more once we fixed the line or replaced it, so we don't lose so much we burn it up...

For kicks, I asked him about re-gearing from 3.73 6 speed to 4.56 for 33's. He said he doesn't do that stuff anymore. Wanted to know why I wanted to do that. After I told him he said, just try the 33's and see what its like before spending all that money...I'll ask him later this week if he knows anyone good who does that sort of thing around here. Last quote I got from Jeep Jones was $1,900+. Crazy high.

You sure it isn't condensation?
No, I'm not sure. It could be. MAybe I'll just re-charge the system and see. Good idea....The engine was very hot and the lines were cold

What you are seeing at those locations is condensate from the cold pipe vs the warm humid air and it is totally normal. If you have to add refrigerant they have cans with UV dye as Rob suggested and with a UV light some leaks can be easily traced.
Thanks a ton!

If that was refrigerant oil it would not show up where you had the arrows on you pic so I suggest no way was that oil.

I went ahead and charged it with refrigerant. Ice cold AC, after a few minutes some condensate started to pool at the same location. That's one reason this forum is great. I appreciate it @TJ4Jim and @Rob5589 !

Reactions: Rob5589