Accelerator Pedal Knocking

JMT

Just another auto…
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Most annoying rattling noise as I go down the road over bumps. Am I missing some piece? There is some play in the hinge. It’s driving me crazy! I can duplicate it by fooling with the accelerator by hand with the Jeep just sitting there not running. The bracket attached to the firewall is tight.

4D88E91E-2B66-48AB-9B03-4C6870848EFC.jpeg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
It's super annoying. Does anyone else's accelerator rattle when you move it around with your hand? That might help me figure it out.

I need to check this out. I've had a noise in/under the dash area ever since I've had my Jeep that I haven't been able to track down. I was hoping when I replaced my heater core last year that I would find it. I didn't. LOL

Do you feel the pedal move when you hear the noise?
Does it sound kind of metallic sounding?

Reactions: JMT
Looks like you have 2 wires (maybe for an amp?) running behind the plate that bolts the petal to the firewall which wouldn't allow those bolts to be tightened down all the way. Take the two nuts off, the plate and petal should all come off and remove the wires (zip tie them to something else) then put it back and tighten it down. I bet it will stop.

I just checked mine. Is this what yours is doing? I’m not sure if this is the noise I hear when driving or not. I haven’t driven it in a few days, but I’ll listen for it next time, and see if I can feel it in the pedal. I can see the bushings moving some.

Last edited:
I just checked mine. Is this what yours is doing? I’m not sure if this is the noise I hear when driving or not. I haven’t driven it in a few days, but I’ll listen for it next time, and see if I can feel it in the pedal. I can see the bushings moving some.

Yep, that's the sound alright, that's exactly what it does, so annoying, rattles everytime I hit a bump.

Looks like you have 2 wires (maybe for an amp?) running behind the plate that bolts the petal to the firewall which wouldn't allow those bolts to be tightened down all the way. Take the two nuts off, the plate and petal should all come off and remove the wires (zip tie them to something else) then put it back and tighten it down. I bet it will stop.
The bolts were tightened down before I ran the winch and amp wires behind it. I can't remember why I didn't just run them below, maybe they were too short. At any rate, they are not interfering with the two nuts being tightened down. Thank you though! Good thought

just walked out and checked mine, no rattle.
View attachment 92851
Thanks, I'm looking at your picture trying to see if anything is different between yours and mine. It looks like behind the orange cylinder at the top, you have a black cap on the metal that protrudes from the top of the accelerator bar. Mine looks like it is missing. Not sure that would make a difference.

I need to check this out. I've had a noise in/under the dash area ever since I've had my Jeep that I haven't been able to track down. I was hoping when I replaced my heater core last year that I would find it. I didn't. LOL

Do you feel the pedal move when you hear the noise?
Does it sound kind of metallic sounding?
As you know, its hard to diagnose when you're driving. LOL. I'm going to try to see if it stops while I've got the accelerator depressed vs just coasting. Also drive it barefoot and see if I can feel the rattle coming through the accelerator pedal. I've about concluded it's not the clutch pedal and it's not the brake pedal, but I can feel it in the brake pedal, but that may be because it's closer to the accelerator and the vibration is being picked up there.

I wonder it those bushing come out easily without breaking? Could try wrapping some electrical tape around them to see it the noise goes away. Maybe even tape them a little the way it is just to test it.

Reactions: JMT
I wonder it those bushing come out easily without breaking? Could try wrapping some electrical tape around them to see it the noise goes away. Maybe even tape them a little the way it is just to test it.
It's worth a try! I'll be the guinea pig.

It’s not the accelerator. Red herring. Still don’t know! Geez

Turn the music up really loud to avoid this sound

Reactions: dudehitt