Accent color suggestions for a black TJ?

m9199

VibraJeeper
Supporting Member
I've got a black Jeep and I'm not a huge fan of having everything blacked out, but I like silver/chrome even less. I've already painted the headlight bezels and the antenna matte black. Does anyone have any suggestions on what colors to have and where to break up the all black.

I was already planning to bed line the faded fender flares and hard top. I considered using a dark grey rather than black, but I don't know how that'd look.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if "grew" means grey or green but if you like it, I'm sure it will be OK.

One thing to be aware of is colors being paired together.

Red could work pretty good too but black and red could be related to the Atlanta Falcons, the Cincinnati Reds or the Chicago Bulls and who knows who might hate any of them enough to hate your Jeep.

Yellow would look good but that could connect your Jeep to all three teams in Pittsburgh, no basketball there.

I'm sure their are other colors and teams, I'm not saying you have to avoid them.

I'm not sure if "grew" means grey or green but if you like it, I'm sure it will be OK.

One thing to be aware of is colors being paired together.

Red could work pretty good too but black and red could be related to the Atlanta Falcons, the Cincinnati Reds or the Chicago Bulls and who knows who might hate any of them enough to hate your Jeep.

Yellow would look good but that could connect your Jeep to all three teams in Pittsburgh, no basketball there.

I'm sure their are other colors and teams, I'm not saying you have to avoid them.
That in fact was supposed to be grey. Fixed

Last edited:
Purple, Purple, Purple... LOL If you seen my Jeep, you would understand. :D. On a side note, I did have a black and purple VW pick up and it looked great. :D

I’m eventually wanting to accentuate my black TJ with some green, likely in the form of some fir trees. Probably something like this:

My 97 the is black and I did some accents with a blue that looks like it is anodized, I did the handles and the little hood loop where the windshield is supposed to strap too. Also put blue handles for getting in. I like it but maybe not for everyone.

Reactions: JMT
Good thing is, black is a good base...IMO almost any color goes with black. For me personally, it would be orange, but I'm biased being an SF Giants fan. Black and yellow if you're a Mizzou fan? Getting away from the sports combos, I think your idea of dark grey would look good, as long as it's dark enough to not look faded while being light enough to break up the black. Maybe some gunmetal colored wheels? Just my 2 cents. :)

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
Good thing is, black is a good base...IMO almost any color goes with black. For me personally, it would be orange, but I'm biased being an SF Giants fan. Black and yellow if you're a Mizzou fan? Getting away from the sports combos, I think your idea of dark grey would look good, as long as it's dark enough to not look faded while being light enough to break up the black. Maybe some gunmetal colored wheels? Just my 2 cents. :)
My biggest worry was that it would look faded. Now, does anyone know who makes gunmetal bed liner?

I usually like the bright colors on black Jeeps, like yellow and orange, but you need to keep it minimal so it doesn't look too bling. Seat cover inserts, grab handles, and maybe the synthetic winch line if you have one.

Got a black LJ and I'm trying to decide on an accent color as well. If I had the guts to do it I'd go with a Monster Energy green and black combo.

Gold. Agree with Fade’s suggestion to keep it minimal. I was thinking of doing a few things like door hinges, and maybe the front fenders that are getting replaced in black. My bike was all chrome when I got it, not my favorite look, so I had the whole thing powdercoated black with just a few chrome pieces here and there. There are computer programs that can show you different combinations of colors.

Last edited:
My biggest worry was that it would look faded. Now, does anyone know who makes gunmetal bed liner?
Raptor liner has a tintable bedliner. You can just get the color from the paint shop mixed without the binders and have gunmetal or any other color

I've got a Pearl Moss Green Jeep and I'm not a huge fan of having everything blacked out. Does anyone have any suggestions on what colors to have and where to break up the all black. Thanks
dbefd27783bb8053d595828c41a3bc50.jpg
1ed63750f36e8a95a0a844b52d9c0fea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After four Wranglers, all with contrasting color fender flares - my '99 blue Sport w/black flares, my '03 beige metallic w/black flares, and my '96 in HD orange w/black flares, I have to say that my current '04 Wrangler Columbia Edition in black with its contrasting Dark Graphite Metallic (a Chrysler color) is my most favoriteist! I recently had the flares repainted - I get more compliments on this Wrangler than I did on ALL the others combined...

ColumbiaMineA.JPG

Mine is all black. I like red as an accent, but again...its VERY easy to overdo it. I've been going the gunmetal route tho, as it ties in with the brighter silver of the Jeep sticker and Rubicon Sticker. I would eventually like to add a more modern looking Rubicon hood sticker, in gunmetal with a red shadow effect. Same with the Jeep logo. That kind of stuff is so far down my list of what I want to do though, it will probably never get done.

Reactions: JMT and TheGanzman
I've got a Pearl Moss Green Jeep and I'm not a huge fan of having everything blacked out. Does anyone have any suggestions on what colors to have and where to break up the all black. ThanksView attachment 83146View attachment 83147

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silver or machined wheels. Factory spec chrome headlight bezels. It will make it look like the Jeep engineers designed it.

Reactions: B252
After four Wranglers, all with contrasting color fender flares - my '99 blue Sport w/black flares, my '03 beige metallic w/black flares, and my '96 in HD orange w/black flares, I have to say that my current '04 Wrangler Columbia Edition in black with its contrasting Dark Graphite Metallic (a Chrysler color) is my most favoriteist! I recently had the flares repainted - I get more compliments on this Wrangler than I did on ALL the others combined...

View attachment 83150
I have the same Jeep and get compliments all the time as well. Do you have a lift and what tires are those? I really like the look. Mine is stock, no lift.

View attachment 83150
I really have thought about doing Silver flares with my Flame Red TJ. I could easily blend the bumpers and rock sliders in by painting them silver too. The problem with Red is everyone does black and red (obviously, what else are you going to do?) Well, do silver. I even ran across some Sahara Flares in Silver that I almost bought. Genright has a TJ they built in Red and Silver and it looks unique and awesome, like yours! Well done.

Reactions: Fouledplugs