Acceptable alternator brands?

TheBoogieman

Jeepaholic
Supporting Member
Jeep was having issues with the battery being dead. Replaced the battery last Thursday and all was good..............until a few hours ago. Lights, radio and all worked fine, but wouldn't start. Click click click. Jumped it to a rough idle and wouldn't stay running without high rpms. Dash volt meter reading around 12 unless I rev the engine. I'm guessing my 19 year old alternator is bad. What brands are decent? Denso is in it? Not looking to spend money for the best. Don't say Duralast either. :cautious:Thanks

Last edited:
The old answer would have been a NAPA Gold, but they have cheapened their product line to compete with AZ, etc. Curious to see what people are having good luck with.

Rebuilt OEM.

If you don't have an OEM unit, get one from a junkyard and have it rebuilt.

I've been around the restoration world for a long time and I've dealt with too much parts store crap. The way It's been described to me is that these parts (starters and alternators specifically) are built to OEM minimum specs, i.e. worn out right out of the box.

Edit; just FYI, it's been a few years, but the last one I had rebuilt cost me $40 at my local shop. Let's assume that now cost double, you still come out better than anything I know about, and you should have a better product.

Last edited:
Reactions: R49
Jeep was having issues with the battery being dead. Replaced the battery last Thursday and all was good..............until a few hours ago. Lights, radio and all worked fine, but wouldn't start. Click click click. Jumped it to a rough idle and wouldn't stay running without high rpms. Dash volt meter reading around 12 unless I rev the engine. I'm guessing my 19 year old alternator is bad. What brands are decent? Denso is in it? Not looking to spend money for the best. Don't say Durolast either. :cautious:Thanks

https://www.paperformance.com/alternators/jeep/97-06-wranger-tj/

I’ve seen people in the past say they have had success with this one. They have a 136 amp one too for a little more.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...er-2001-2006-210-0475-290-5113-400-52100.html

That one looks exactly like the Autozone 100% new one. I cant remember the companies name that makes them, but i know several people rebrand them. I have had one on my WJ for a couple years with no issues. I have had a Mean Green on my TJ for over ten years with no issues, but those are a little pricier.

DB Electrical. It was $90 ish in 2020. I still have my OEM but it squeaks.

This has give me zero issues. Amazon doesn’t seem to carry it any longer

1AB7BA2C-60C7-45F9-ADC8-8C39E5AEE208.jpeg

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Reactions: txbemis69 and BlueC
My original is sitting in a box in the garage, and it charged ok but squeaked badly, I’m wondering if I could replace the bearings and have one good to go.

I've never done it personally because I've always had a good local shop who can do for a reasonable price, but I've seen them rebuild one of my alternators (or maybe it was a starter) in under 30 minutes while talking to me. With some basic mechanical skills, tools and youtube, I'd bet someone could do it in an hour or two.

https://alternatorbrush.com/product...j-wrangler-4-0l-bearings-brush-holder-brushes

https://www.maniacelectricmotors.co...0004530-1210003820-1210003821-1210003810.html

Found this, no reviews. I’m curious, for $25 to rebuild the original? Warranty or no, I’m just curious.

My original is sitting in a box in the garage, and it charged ok but squeaked badly, I’m wondering if I could replace the bearings and have one good to go.

with a simple you tube video and you should be good to go.

After cleaning a corroded terminal to my alternator and hoping it fixed the issue, no dice after 2 days. Bought a local parts store alternator so I can return it if needed and also get the core charge back immediately. I did take advantage of their free same day home delivery. They delivered it within an hour. Only time will tell if this fixed the issue. Thanks for all the replies and help.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom