Acceptable replacement for water pump bolts?

06lj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I have an 06 4.0 that I'm replacing the water pump on. The OEM bolts have been discontinued. Has anybody else replaced theirs? Would stainless steel bolts from the harware store be an acceptable replacement? My current bolts could probably be reused but I always prefer new if possible.

Just take your existing bolts out and go to your local ACE Hardware or Home Depot. Match them up with an identical steel bolt and you'll be good to go. Nothing special in terms of grade or anything, just regular steel bolts as far as I know (y)

Stainless steel, although they won't rust they are pretty soft. Use regular steel. Personally, I would clean up the old one and reuse them.

Stainless bolts might cause a galvanic corrosion issue. I don't know for sure, but I'd probably go with zinc coated Grade 8. Get flange bolts if they'll fit.

Yes, no reason not to re-use the old ones unless they are rusted or something. Just apply anti-seize to them when you put them back in. Not tons, just a small amount.

Thanks all!
I guess I'll take a trip to Ace and see what they have. If I don't find anything good I will just reuse the originals.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Skip those bargains at the hardware store. They will start to rust before you get to close the hood. And many of those grade 5 bolts they sell are closer to grade 3. So they like to bend, stretch, and rust. I personally try to spend the money to get grade 8 bolts for almost any application. They have a vastly superior corrosion resistant coating and will not snap off the next time you need to pull them.
Those crappy bulk grade 5 bolts I use as shear pins. And I've found some that can't even do that job well.

Skip those bargains at the hardware store. They will start to rust before you get to close the hood. And many of those grade 5 bolts they sell are closer to grade 3. So they like to bend, stretch, and rust. I personally try to spend the money to get grade 8 bolts for almost any application. They have a vastly superior corrosion resistant coating and will not snap off the next time you need to pull them.
Those crappy bulk grade 5 bolts I use as shear pins. And I've found some that can't even do that job well.

How do you find the correct grade 8 or high grade bolts? I'm having a terrible time finding these water pump to fat bolts.

Are you referring to the fan to water pump studs?

Yes! both the studs and the nut! I bought Crown J4006714 but they are too long and don't fit, rubbing onto the water pump. I found that the battery hold down nut does fit the stud allowing me to connect the fan, I just can't find the right stud now. The 1997-1999 water pump solution is very challenging.

I unfortunately do not have the original stud, original nuts. It had an aftermarket water pump and suspect bolts that were impossible to remove and are slightly worn/stripped. I am screwed here : (

Do you guys know of a bolt size that will work? I think the water pump thread may be 5/16-24 but I am not sure nor do I know of a length that will work. I am hoping someone with an older TJ model can help me here, thanks

As far as I know, all the studs used on the 4.0s were the same. If the part that screws into the pump hub is too long and rubs the pump, just cut them down to length.

Do you guys know of a bolt size that will work? I think the water pump thread may be 5/16-24 but I am not sure nor do I know of a length that will work. I am hoping someone with an older TJ model can help me here, thanks

I am in a similar boat only I still have mine.
I just removed the water pump studs from my '97 and they are 5/16-24 (on one end) and 5/16-18 (on the other). The finer thread goes into the water pump. I used a 13 mm wrench to remove the nut but found a 1/2" nut worked when I was removing the studs. As far as the length.....1 1/4" Total. Coarse side is ~ 9/19" and fine thread is ~ 7/16" with ~1/4" section (no thread) in between.