Accessory bar for your TJ

Queticon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
There are some options out there if you want to install an accessory bar. Most of them are quite expensive.

I've developed an accessory bar system utilizing carbon fiber+nylon printed parts and off the shelf 80/20 extrusions. This mounts to two of the dash screws that are underneath the dash cover on the top.

I've had it installed for over a year and it's worked great.

1597526140695.png

1597526188950.png

That looks awesome and this is one of those things I've always wanted for my LJ. I'm finding it hard to imagine the screw mounting locations your talking about, could you take more pics of how it mounts. Is that front support rattle proof? I've attempted mounting to that top center bezel storage area where the rubber mat is but everything rattles like no tomorrow while I'm driving.

That looks awesome and this is one of those things I've always wanted for my LJ. I'm finding it hard to imagine the screw mounting locations your talking about, could you take more pics of how it mounts. Is that front support rattle proof? I've attempted mounting to that top center bezel storage area where the rubber mat is but everything rattles like no tomorrow while I'm driving.
If you pop up the defrost trim, there are studs at the base of the windshield that the dash hangs on.

Looks complex.. I had this mounted on my dash (vent surround) to mount my aux GPS for years. Took it off three or four years ago when I got the Rugged Ridge dash multi-mount.

20201201_174252.jpg

It's actually very simple. All the joint parts are 3D printed and form fit into the 80/20 rails.

I will get a picture of the mounting points. They aren't the studs mrblaine mentioned, but that could be another option.

there is absolutely no rattling. The joints are printed out of carbon fiber and are extremely stiff. There are adjustable pegs that can be tightened to level the area where the cameras are mounted. It stiffens the assembly a bit more by putting upward force on the bars. For an even more rigid mount, I was thinking of either some kind of plate that would come up from behind the bezel or just drilling holes in the bezel to screw into. I'd rather not drill holes in the bezel, however. The camera mounts are just clamps that fit into the grooves of the rails.

It's my plan to make all this available as open source at some point through my Open Overland project. I'm also working on a modular replacement for that vent trim that will include additional mounts as well as usb power inlets.

Note the word 'plan'. It's possible I'll be responding to this thread years from now with, "hah, remember when I was thinking about doing that?"

It's actually very simple. All the joint parts are 3D printed and form fit into the 80/20 rails.

I will get a picture of the mounting points. They aren't the studs mrblaine mentioned, but that could be another option.

there is absolutely no rattling. The joints are printed out of carbon fiber and are extremely stiff. There are adjustable pegs that can be tightened to level the area where the cameras are mounted. It stiffens the assembly a bit more by putting upward force on the bars. For an even more rigid mount, I was thinking of either some kind of plate that would come up from behind the bezel or just drilling holes in the bezel to screw into. I'd rather not drill holes in the bezel, however. The camera mounts are just clamps that fit into the grooves of the rails.

It's my plan to make all this available as open source at some point through my Open Overland project. I'm also working on a modular replacement for that vent trim that will include additional mounts as well as usb power inlets.

Note the word 'plan'. It's possible I'll be responding to this thread years from now with, "hah, remember when I was thinking about doing that?"
I will await your pictures!

That's a great idea about creating a modular replacement for the dash vent trim. Something that comes to mind is how the SPod for the TJ comes with a completely new upper trim piece (the one that the visors are screwed in to) to make the finished install look stock without having to modify stock parts.

I might start to work at coming up with a design for that front dash vent part as well. There are some serious business opportunities out there for the TJ platform still with custom parts!