Add-on Gauge / Switch Panel

jscherb

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I came across this item in one of the British Land Rover magazines I subscribe to:

DiscoSwitchPanel(1).jpg

I've been thinking maybe an auxiliary panel custom-fit to the Wrangler dash could be useful, so I did a quick concept design and printed it on cardstock. There are a few places on the dash it could be fitted, in this photo it's at the top of the LJ's center stack. I've put two gauges and 4 switches on the mockup, but it would be molded as a flat panel so any combination of switches or gauges could be implemented.

CardstockConcept1LJ.jpg

Being there it gets in the way of the dash-top tray, so in this photo it's moved in front of the tray:

CardstockConcept1LJt.jpg

And in front of the tray it gets in the way of the defroster vent, so in this photo it's on top of the instrument panel:

CardstockConcept1LJc.jpg

Another option would be up on the center of the windshield, but I think running all wires up there for whatever switches and gauges might be there could be a problem?

CardstockConcept1LJ.Windshield.jpg

It's just a cardstock idea for the moment, but if I decide on a good place for such a panel maybe I'll make a mold and mold a few prototypes to try out. Suggestions and criticisms welcome, you can help me decide if I take this idea any further.

I'd be very interested in a switch panel. I have considered something that could attache to/fit under the center dash section in front of the shifter.

I like the idea of having it above the windshield too, but agree that wiring could get tricky. Assuming relays are used, I wonder if you could wire the switches to stranded pairs of a CAT5 cable? Then its just running an ethernet cable under the bezels and terminating it on either end. A diy/poor man's spod, if you will. Not sure how you'd feed the gauges in that setup.

Over the past few years I've done a number of detailed reviews on some alternatives to the sPod that Auxbeam offers:
The Auxbeam units are about half the price of something like the sPod, but an auxiliary panel like the cardstock concept I pictured in the first post could be done even more affordably and having a flat panel could be outfitted with whatever might be necessary - switches of any type, gauges, USB outlets, audio inputs, whatever. The basic housing could be made very inexpensively.

A real oil pressure gauge, maybe a better voltmeter.

I've got two extra gauges in both of my LJs and my JKU that are useful - a digital voltmeter and a pressure gauge for the air bags in my rear springs. I've got the voltmeter wired to a switch, in one position it measures normal switched power in the Jeep, in the other position it's connected directly to the battery. In the second position I can measure exact battery voltage when the Jeep isn't running, that way I can get an idea of the condition of the battery without the drain of any accessories.

AuxGauges.jpg

The pressure gauge is very useful for checking the status of and load on the air springs.

I'd be very interested in a switch panel. I have considered something that could attache to/fit under the center dash section in front of the shifter.

I like the idea of having it above the windshield too, but agree that wiring could get tricky. Assuming relays are used, I wonder if you could wire the switches to stranded pairs of a CAT5 cable? Then its just running an ethernet cable under the bezels and terminating it on either end. A diy/poor man's spod, if you will. Not sure how you'd feed the gauges in that setup.

You definitely could control relays using a decent quality CAT5 cable; assuming you used a chassis ground, the 4 twisted pairs in a CAT5 cable could control 8 relays.

Ever since I saw it, I've always thought that this implementation by Blaine was really very nicely done.

I don't like the location on top of the gauge cluster since it takes away visibility and also adds visual clutter in that area. With your chosen design, the location behind the dash tray in the center seems most logical.

The right choice of switches/gauges to not make it too different from stock TJ internal design would go a long way in my opinion.

Another hardy YES for the Auxbeam aux switch panels if you’re looking for additional switches and not gauges. Zero complaints with it.

C2EA21A7-5406-47B4-B56D-650853976EC5.jpeg

After messing around with the cardstock mockups in my first post in this thread, I decided to actually make an auxiliary gauge/switch panel to see if it could be useful. I made it in fiberglass, it's a pretty simple project in fiberglass and having made the mold, I can make more easily. This is a finished panel on the workbench; the gauge, switches and USB outlets are random parts I had on hand that I installed to show what's possible. I only had one spare switch so the other three switch positions are blanks.

PanelDone1.jpg

As it comes out of the mold the panel is flat with no holes in it, so holes can be made for different combinations of switches and gauges.

WranglerAuxPanel_p7GZS4fH9B3mrco5jCDwKZ.jpg

A few shots of it in my '06 Wrangler pickup. It's just setting in place, it's not screwed down for these photos.

PanelInLJ1.jpg

PanelInLJ3.jpg

PanelInLJ2.jpg

It could also be mounted on top of the instrument panel as I showed in my first post, although that probably only works for tall people like me :).

And it also works nicely in my JKU...

PanelInJKU1.jpg

Someone suggested to me that an a-pillar panel would also be a good idea, here's a concept image of what that could look like. Maybe I'll make a mold for one of these next...

APillarTJPanel.png

Have you considered that there is actually a bunch of open space above/slightly behind the instrument cluster? I've got a spare dash bezel that I've been slowly working on to have a recessed gauge or two. Unfortunately it requires a mastery of conic sections to make two contoured surfaces mate perfectly, but I haven't given up on the idea yet. If you build something like what you have, it would make a rectangle cut on the bezel much easier and then your enclosure thing could drop into the hole. Based on my test fitting, recessing them in this way would get around the valid complaints that stuff on the bezel poses a visibility problem.

like, you know, or whatever.

Reactions: MikekiM and Ocho
Have you considered that there is actually a bunch of open space above/slightly behind the instrument cluster? I've got a spare dash bezel that I've been slowly working on to have a recessed gauge or two. Unfortunately it requires a mastery of conic sections to make two contoured surfaces mate perfectly, but I haven't given up on the idea yet. If you build something like what you have, it would make a rectangle cut on the bezel much easier and then your enclosure thing could drop into the hole. Based on my test fitting, recessing them in this way would get around the valid complaints that stuff on the bezel poses a visibility problem.

like, you know, or whatever.

i use this one behind the instrument cluster:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/133363...sum=6a71005a&ref=shop_home_recs_1&frs=1&sts=1

currently in the process of mating it with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y78PG5K/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: RINC
I love the A-pillar idea. Perfect place IMHO. You might run in to issues with different years and trim though.

I did a quick test this morning - the same panel could easily be mounted on the a-pillar of a later model TJ/LJ. Don't mind my hand holding the panel in place, I didn't want to actually screw it into the a-pillar trim for this quick test :).

APIllarCheck.jpg

A bit smaller panel might be better there, this next one is crude a photo-edit.

APillarPhotoEdit.jpg

The "edited" version would still support up to 6 switches, here's another photo edit with 4 switches and a dual USB outlet. Without the outlet, 6 switches could be installed, spaced a little closer.

APillarPhotoEdit2.jpg

Could even slice/splice to make a smaller version that would only hold up to 4 switches.

APillarPhotoEdit3.jpg

I could make an "edited" panel in the same mold, because it's fiberglass it wouldn't be hard to cut a slice out of the longer part and splice the two halves together and have the result look seamless. If I were to make a few of them, I'd make a long part, slice/splice the part into a smaller version and make a new mold off that modified version. Pretty easy to do.

Maybe I'll do a shorter version. Should I do 6-switch capacity or 4?

And for tall folks wondering what the panel might look like on top of the instrument cluster...

PanelInLJ7.jpg

Would you lean the A-pillar version "back" a little? My earlier model wouldn't work with it anyways 😞

Man, I have visions of a pod on my A-pillar with spots to snap OEM style switches in to. Maybe a spot for a gauge as well. Tis but a dream.......

• Love
Reactions: hear and MikekiM
Would you lean the A-pillar version "back" a little? My earlier model wouldn't work with it anyways 😞

Man, I have visions of a pod on my A-pillar with spots to snap OEM style switches in to. Maybe a spot for a gauge as well. Tis but a dream.......

Same here…. I would much prefer the A-Piller mount, but my 2000 doesn’t have trim. I would do the center stack mount. I have one of the Daystar organizers mounted on top of the center stack it is a dust collector. Looks like the one above is best of two worlds.. you retain the original cubby on the center stack, but have the added guage/switches.

I have this one just because lack of options. Only really need a spot for the wideband. The vacuum gage is just a filler. It blocks visibility a bit and doesn't have any provisions for switches. It's good at holding my sunglasses though 😎😀

PXL_20230127_150723856.jpg

I did a quick test this morning - the same panel could easily be mounted on the a-pillar of a later model TJ/LJ. Don't mind my hand holding the panel in place, I didn't want to actually screw it into the a-pillar trim for this quick test :).

View attachment 395199

A bit smaller panel might be better there, this next one is crude a photo-edit.

View attachment 395200

The "edited" version would still support up to 6 switches, here's another photo edit with 4 switches and a dual USB outlet. Without the outlet, 6 switches could be installed, spaced a little closer.

View attachment 395201

Could even slice/splice to make a smaller version that would only hold up to 4 switches.

View attachment 395202

I could make an "edited" panel in the same mold, because it's fiberglass it wouldn't be hard to cut a slice out of the longer part and splice the two halves together and have the result look seamless. If I were to make a few of them, I'd make a long part, slice/splice the part into a smaller version and make a new mold off that modified version. Pretty easy to do.

Maybe I'll do a shorter version. Should I do 6-switch capacity or 4?

And for tall folks wondering what the panel might look like on top of the instrument cluster...

View attachment 395203

I would be really curious to see a final product for the A-pillar. I keep trying to out switches there but I can’t ever make the dimensions work for the switch body.