Add-on Gauge / Switch Panel

I did a quick test this morning - the same panel could easily be mounted on the a-pillar of a later model TJ/LJ. Don't mind my hand holding the panel in place, I didn't want to actually screw it into the a-pillar trim for this quick test :).

View attachment 395203

I swear this could be lowered 3/4" by cutting into the instrument bezel, and then tilting it back like 20*.

I swear this could be lowered 3/4" by cutting into the instrument bezel, and then tilting it back like 20*.

i'll send you pics of my setup once i have it dialed in. zero cutting of factory bezel and it is turning out pretty sweet with a nice tilt so it's not blocking line of sight.

should hopefully get it dialed in by mid next week.

More to think about. I showed this in a previous post:

81GhWEZvbXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Well, you can ALSO get these:
IMG_6334_2048x2048.jpg
from here:https://12vtechnology.com/collectio...n-black-panel-mount-swb0-swr0-swy0-swg0-swblk that fit the openings, and ALSO fit
these:
61SB-XsWq1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VMQGG5L/?tag=wranglerorg-20.
These would easily mount in the Dash Tray, on top of the dash, or under the factory switch panel in front of the shifter.

I have the same voltage gauge mounted below the clock. It is out of view in the picture I posted earlier in this thread. Matches the clock color and design. And I have the dual USB port mounted in the stock cig lighter location.

Can I order A pillar pod, cool cowl and back dates grille at same time 😉

In all seriousness you create some amazing products for our rigs. Am constantly amazed by what you come up with. Just wish more were available.

Reactions: MikekiM
Can I order A pillar pod, cool cowl and back dates grille at same time 😉

In all seriousness you create some amazing products for our rigs. Am constantly amazed by what you come up with. Just wish more were available.

Thank you. Actually lots of my designs have gotten to the market - I designed pretty much all of MORryde's products, all but two of Overland Outfitter's products, a few Gr8Tops products and random things for 3 or 4 more companies. I've lost count but it's probably close to 100 different products by now. (And, for the record, I'm not an employee of any of the companies, I'm just a Jeep hobbyist like you guys, I design things for my own use and companies sometimes pick up the designs, manufacture and market the products).

BTW I'm testing several preproduction prototype storage products on my LJ that I designed for Overland Outfitters right now, I'll post about them soon.

I've kept all of the molds for my fiberglass designs so more of anything can be made. But I don't sell anything, I'm just a designer. Occasionally I'll mold something for a friend, but beyond that if anyone wants to arrange production of any my fiberglass designs I'll be happy to discuss it with them. The molds for the Cool Cowl, the CJ Grille Kit (CJ-style hood, fenders, etc), the Safari Cab hardtops, and the CJ/JL Style TJ Grille and more are just sitting in storage here. A couple of years ago a forum member wanted to have some Cool Cowls made so we worked out an arrangement for him to borrow the molds and have a fiberglass shop make a few cowls for him, so sometimes my fiberglass designs do escape into the wild :).

cowlfinal32-jpg.174307

RiverCrossing3_zpsfc3b2715.jpg

JKLEDMockup.jpg

Would you lean the A-pillar version "back" a little? My earlier model wouldn't work with it anyways 😞

Man, I have visions of a pod on my A-pillar with spots to snap OEM style switches in to. Maybe a spot for a gauge as well. Tis but a dream.......

I've got a commercial a-pillar panel in my JKU; it leans back with the windshield a bit and I don't mind that at all. At the moment I've got a switch in it for my auxiliary battery and a gauge for my AirLift air bags and both are perfectly visible so I don't know if a TJ version would really need to be angled. I could also angle the panel slightly towards the driver but my experience with the one in the JK says that's not really necessary either.

JKAuxPowerSwitch1.jpg

I would be really curious to see a final product for the A-pillar. I keep trying to out switches there but I can’t ever make the dimensions work for the switch body.

Switches like these aren't too deep so the depth of the panel isn't much of a challenge. Gauges vary a lot in depth, so if the panel is to support random gauges it would have to be a lot deeper than if it were just made for switches. The dual USB outlet I've got in the test panel is also deeper than the switches, so that needs to be accounted for in the depth of the design as well.

It would also be possible to build one that sits on top of the dash between the a-pillar and the instrument panel bezel although there isn't as much room there, it might only hold 3 switches.

DashCornerPanel.jpg

Almost anything one could think up is possible, it's pretty easy to make a mold master contoured for whatever space one would want to fit it in and make a mold from that. And they don't cost much to make - the large one I made the other day used about 3 ounces of gelcoat, 8 ounces of resin and literally small scraps of fiberglass mat left over from some of my larger fiberglass projects (hardtops and such), so even if the materials had to be bought (I have materials on hand), the materials in each panel would cost probably $7.50.

I did this in my JK...

I later labeled each switch. If memory serves me.. top to bottom were front fogs, rock lights, rear cargo light, the DPDT was for aux reverse lights (off, on and on with reverse) and OBA.

2012-03-26 Switches (2 of 2).jpg

I recently did this:

vcTXyg.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20230120008.jpg

The switches are for my lights, the voltmeter is in one of those pods I showed yesterday, and the clock is inset into the shift console. The power ports below the switches, the voltmeter, and the clock get power from the old cigarette lighter wiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashvilleTJ