Adding a flasher to your 3rd brake light

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Super easy mod. Thanks to @dla for pointing me in the right direction to find the part.

I ordered this unit from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SQEI4GO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

3rd brake flasher.jpg

I installed it tonight after work. I put it under the cover on the tailgate connected to the wires in there. It's tiny; about the size of a stamp.

Check which contact on the tub side is the power with a test light. It was the upper contact on my '06.

1. Remove screw on contact wiring cover and pull cover off.
2. cut the power wire (white wire on tailgate on mine)
3. connected the yellow wire to the end of the white wire that went to the 3rd brake light
4. connect the red wire to the end of the white wire that went to the contact on the tailgate
5. connect the black wire to the other wire (ground) for the 3rd brake light. (black wire on the tailgate on mine)
6. (optional) connect the blue and white wire together for a fast flashing 3rd brake light or do not connect them for a slower flash.
7. Reinstall contact wiring cover and screw.

I liked the slower flash personally and left the blue and white wires disconnected, with a little heat shrink on the ends. The fast flash seemed to fast for me.

I fastened the little black box, or chip or whatever it's called, to the tailgate body with some Velcro.

This is with the blue and white wire NOT connected. Slow flash.

For reference, this is with the blue and white wire connected. Fast flash.

Nice but subtle!
I'm doing the same thing to both tjs

I got this Levenli strobe flasher off amazon. Blinks 2x, installing today, i think it was around $8.
20181225_081802.jpg

May I ask what you used for the two lights, did you use a couple of standard red LED lights ?

Reactions: MountaineerTom
@MountaineerTom This might be a dumb question - When you have the headlights turned on, does the 3rd brake light stay solid till you push the brakes at which point it flashes and then becomes solid again? Considering this mod with the stock CHMSL or with an LED light that that goes into the 2" reciver hitch (and connected to the existing trailer wiring).

Last edited:
As far as I know it doesn’t. I’ve never checked with the headlights on though.

Every time I checked it the 3rd brake lights were off, then when you press the brake they flash a few times then stay on steady until you let off the brake then they go out.