Adding a receiver hitch

Bringing this thread back to life.
My jeep has a barricade style rear bumper / tire carrier. It has a hitch on it but I’m not happy with it. It’s probably fine for towing light stuff, but what I use it for is a bike rack, which sounds like a no brainer…. But in reality, the bumper flexes too much, especially with 3-4 bikes on it. So I ordered a Curt tow hitch that will bolt to the frame but I’ll have to integrate the new hitch with the existing bumper. Anyone done this? I’m thinking I’ll just have to plasma cut the bumpers hitch out to “notch” the bumper for clearance. Here’s some pics.

View attachment 323427

View attachment 323428
Not a good choice for either IMHO. I'm not a fan of bumper-mounted hitches but here's one that is likely better/stronger than most of them. I've installed two of his rear bumpers and they are well built and strong. And if you need a little something different Robert is usually ok with doing it for you.

American made and it has an integrated receiver hitch. https://www.thedirtworx.com/copy-of-cherokee-and-xj?lightbox=dataItem-ksz75vob2

Not a good choice for either IMHO. I'm not a fan of bumper-mounted hitches but here's one that is likely better/stronger than most of them. I've installed two of his rear bumpers and they are well built and strong. And if you need a little something different Robert is usually ok with doing it for you.

American made and it has an integrated receiver hitch. https://www.thedirtworx.com/copy-of-cherokee-and-xj?lightbox=dataItem-ksz75vob2
I’m not a huge fan of them being combined either, and I don’t really want to buy another bumper set up, but if it comes to that, this is likely the path I would choose. For now, the curt seems like a solid hitch.

Doesn’t it tuck up behind the fuel tank skid plate/cover? Making that still the lowest hanging object in that area…?

I’ve been pulling trailers, cargo racks, and 4-bike carriers for years with frame tie-in’s. So have a lot of people in here.
They seem like a viable option, but I’m guessing they don’t stop the bumper I have from twisting in the center, as they add support to the outter section, which on mine, is plenty strong.

I think it will look terrible with two hitch receivers. They kill clearance. I’ve had 3 of the Curt units. All of them were installed by the PO. I replaced 2 of them with a good bumper with receiver. The 3rd one is still functioning under the stock bumper. It does scrape off-road. The tailpipe also vibrated against it, so I had to trim some metal off for clearance. All good now.

Last edited: