Adding air conditioning?

wmblore

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I tried looking thorough search and “how to” section but I might have missed it.
Is there a walk-through or parts list of what I need to add air conditioning to my 2002 4.0 L 5 spd. Thanks

Reactions: Dougj169
If you Google 'JeepAir' there's some instructions on there but not the complete instructions. IIRC I think @jeepins installed a.c. but not for sure.

I tried looking thorough search and “how to” section but I might have missed it.
Is there a walk-through or parts list of what I need to add air conditioning to my 2002 4.0 L 5 spd. Thanks
HVAC box under dash set up with evaporator for AC
HVAC dash control
AC compressor
AC receiver dryer
both AC lines with clips
New Serpentine belt for AC equipped engine with compressor mount
Pressure switches in the lines
Condenser in front of radiator

That should get you close. When you swing by, we can look under the hood of the 01 that is here and see if I missed much. Maybe a few small brackets that can be scrounged if need be.

No sir, not me.. factory air. Now if "installed ac" means putting the soft top back on and turning on the AC well then yes i've installed ac several times recently. 🥴
Well sorry bout that. I can't keep all the boys and their projects straight sometimes. 🤪

Reactions: jeepins
I just installed a Jeep air kit a few weeks ago. Everything fit pretty well other than the aftermarket AC lines they use were WAY OFF. They were nowhere near fitting as they came but eventually I got them to fit. It's nice that they supply all the little stuff you need like the recirculation door and actuator, AC compressor brackets, receiver/ dryer bracket, etc. I just wish they supplied better lines with their kit. I ended up having to replace all the o-rings after tweaking the lines countless time to get them close to where they should be.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I just installed a Jeep air kit a few weeks ago. Everything fit pretty well other than the aftermarket AC lines they use were WAY OFF. They were nowhere near fitting as they came but eventually I got them to fit. It's nice that they supply all the little stuff you need like the recirculation door and actuator, AC compressor brackets, receiver/ dryer bracket, etc. I just wish they supplied better lines with their kit. I ended up having to replace all the o-rings after tweaking the lines countless time to get them close to where they should be.

Anyway you could/would be willing to do a write up or how to? Any pics of the install, parts, or finished product would be great also!

I've got some pictures in my build thread: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ding-this-money-on-my-house-build.4501/page-2

I really didn't take enough pictures to do a how to article on the install. Between the factory service manual found on this site and the instructions that come with the kit you should be able to make it work. The hardest part was getting the AC lines bent without kinking them. Taking the dash out isn't that hard, just drop the steering wheel down and out of the way and rotate the dash back at the passenger side. You don't have to take it all the way out.

1997 SE 2.5
has anyone put Jeep Air on the 2.5? I know there isn’t much power to work with but we don’t use it anywhere where we need much. I see the bracket and the connector are there.
its a bit of a deep dive into the dashboard but that’s ok.

I’m in the process of adding a Jeep air kit to my 2003 4.0. Does anyone have a pic of the factory ac compressor wiring connector? There is a 2 wire connector (black and blue) pretty close behind where the compressor mounted, but before I cut it off and wire it to the compressor,I wanted to make sure that was the correct one.
thx
Scott

I’m in the process of adding a Jeep air kit to my 2003 4.0. Does anyone have a pic of the factory ac compressor wiring connector? There is a 2 wire connector (black and blue) pretty close behind where the compressor mounted, but before I cut it off and wire it to the compressor,I wanted to make sure that was the correct one.
thx
Scott

I know this is late to the game and way after the fact, but my kit lines were not exact fits either on the air add to our 2006 4.0 6 spd Rubicon.

On mine, the black plug with the blue/white and black wires was the right one to cut off and splice to the compressor. To verify it before hand I put in a jumper at the relay (across the two large slots 3 and 4, I think) and measured 12v at the plug.

Also, my low side connector (the green plug) was nowhere near my accumulator. Apparently in 06 the factory air picked up the low side sensor off the low line in the area not too far from the high side sensor and plug. I had to cut my green plug off and extend the wires over to the accumulator. It was the green plug with blue/yellow and slate/white wires.

Lastly, my high side plug (black plug with blue/orange and green/white wires) was within reach of the connector, but was not keyed to fit the sensor that came with my kit. I'm sure JeepAir would have sent me the right sensor, but instead a used my hand grinder to remove the tabs so the plug would fit. It all worked in the end, but certainly not plug and play.