Adjusting rear seat height

Creakydoor

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I recently installed amp and a sub under my back seat. The sub just barely fits under the seat. As in, the fabric on the bottom of the seat clears the sub but about 1/2” on the front, but sits right on the sub enclosure in the back. It’s the soft part of the seat, so its not the metal frame which could mess up the enclosure. I’ll keep an eye on whether it causes any heat issues, but that’ll be a different topic.

When I was putting the back seat in, I saw the adjustable feet on the back of the seat which look like it could give me about 1/2” or so more height in the back. So I extended them out all the way. However, when I did that, the seat back would not latch in the upright position. I adjusted it down about 1/4” or so and it latched. So a little better than it was, but I’d like all the height I can get.

However, I noticed the brackets on the back sides of the seats where it latched has some sort of adjustment that rotates a bit. I tried to adjust one, but only could move it a tiny bit without having to cut the carpet to adjust it more, which I didn’t want to do because I wasn’t sure if it would help or not.

I was wondering if anyone had adjusted these brackets a bit more and was able to get the back seat a bit higher.

I'd just remove the seat and not worry about it 😜, oops I mean I'd just remove the mounts that are bolted to the floor, add some spacers and use some longer grade 8 bolts to bolt them back in.

I don't know what year your TJ is but the rear seat mounts changed at some point, probably in 2003(?).
I'm sure it would work on my 2006 TJ and I bet it would work on the others.

Last edited:
I used a 1-1/2" front seat lift kit (8 blocks) for the back seat. You have to drill out the smaller diameter holes for the larger bolts. And, find your own, longer, back seat bolts.

I see how that could work for the front brackets of the back seat.

However, for the back brackets, they are mounted in the side of the tub, so I don’t see how blocks would work there. See picture for those back brackets.

F28F9C1C-EC57-48D5-B15F-AF4610E16E9A.jpeg

Oops, sorry. I didn't know that yours was a '97. That method worked in my '03 and '06. All four seat mounts are on the floor of the tub.

Weird...

OTOH, you could relocate those side mount locations higher. Maybe?

I knew they were different but that's weirder than I expected.

OTOH, you could relocate those side mount locations higher. Maybe?

This would probably work. The original bolts are probably screwed into thicker metal to keep the seat in place during an accident. I'd want to make sure the new holes in the fenders don't end up in just the sheet metal. Nuts would need to be added.

I used a 1-1/2" front seat lift kit (8 blocks) for the back seat. You have to drill out the smaller diameter holes for the larger bolts. And, find your own, longer, back seat bolts.
Do you have a photo of your rear seat blocks installed?

And a backing plate too.
Some good ideas there. However, I’m not sure that I want to mess with safety stuff like this. And cutting and drilling into the tub as suggested. Call me conservative. :)

I wonder if there are other brackets I could get like those that are a bit taller. Anyone ever heard or seen anything like that before?

Tagged - I am also looking for a way to lift my rear seat an inch or two but I really don't want to modify or drill into the tub. Can the method used in 03 and up be applied to 02 and older?

Tagged - I am also looking for a way to lift my rear seat an inch or two but I really don't want to modify or drill into the tub. Can the method used in 03 and up be applied to 02 and older?

From above, I think they changed something in 03 where the rear seats were mounted to the floor in both front and back. Not the case with my ‘97. So will be curious to see if anyone has successfully done what we are looking to do on the older TJ’s.

Here are the pics. Just of the right rear mount but, they are all the same. You can see where I had to clearance the bolt heads that hold the rear shoulder harnesses. The other pic is to show what I store under there. I tuck the plastic I under the seat when I put it down and it keeps everything in place.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks for the photos. I'm guessing those are all of the rear of the back seat...did you use spacers on the front of the seat also?

Thanks for the photos. I'm guessing those are all of the rear of the back seat...did you use spacers on the front of the seat also?

Yes. That's why you need 8 spacers, 2 per rear seat bracket. 2 brackets on the front of the rear seat, 2 brackets on the back of the rear seat.