Advice from RV owners out there?

Your point about driving comfort piques my interest. What is it about driving a class A that is uncomfortable? Is it the position out over the front wheels, or is it just "different?"

That, and the higher sitting position in the driver seat just makes it a different experience.

What are the good quality brands out there, say within the past 10 years or so. I own a 2011 Thor Class C, and I'm not impressed with the quality, fit or finish of a lot of the coach portions of the RV. I've heard Winnebego, Jayco, and Fleetwood are some good makers to look after. How if Forest River? Any experience with these makers or others?

A year ago I was consuled, instructed and taught far more than I could remember about Motor Homes by a widow who had spent a dozen years traveling in more than one fifth-wheel and two or three motor homes, my sister.

Because of her I bought a 38' 2002 Newmar Dutch Star. She said it had "Good Bones" meaning from the chassis up this is a very solid rig, and it is. Because of it's age I was able to buy it for less than half the price of a newer, or new Dutch Star.

Understand that her experience is a decade ago and the makers you mentioned must have improved their quality, as has the rest of the market. But her basic advice is true, buy quality over prettiness.

Also, Join Good Sam with a Camper World membership, and Join Escapees RV Club.

Happy RVing.

A year ago I was consuled, instructed and taught far more than I could remember about Motor Homes by a widow who had spent a dozen years traveling in more than one fifth-wheel and two or three motor homes, my sister.

Because of her I bought a 38' 2002 Newmar Dutch Star. She said it had "Good Bones" meaning from the chassis up this is a very solid rig, and it is. Because of it's age I was able to buy it for less than half the price of a newer, or new Dutch Star.

Understand that her experience is a decade ago and the makers you mentioned must have improved their quality, as has the rest of the market. But her basic advice is true, buy quality over prettiness.

Happy RVing.

Kind of what I've been thinking as far as a MH goes. I'd go up to 2007 pre diesel particulate filter.
Getting my ducks in a row and hopefully some cash in my pocket before I get super serious.

Do run into some bargains in Apache IE snowbirds that became residents and no longer use the motorhomes?

Reactions: Shatto
You might look into a lazy daze. I've had a 92 model and now an 05. I tow my jeep fine with it. Mine is 27 ft. It drives like a car and hasn't had any serious issues . Our 92 had 140,000 on it and spent a week towing thru Utah the last summer trip. We only sold it because we thought it was time, I believe lazy Daze actually invented the class c motorhome. They have one store and plant in SoCal, and a waiting list for buyers. They are around used but hold their value pretty well. You might look into one. We've enjoyed ours.

My sister said Apache Junction is a hot spot for the northern Snow Birds who winter here and, yes farmergreg, they die off, get tired and for other reasons sell their RVs. Florida and Texas are also the big used RV places. You'll need to be ready to go as the good deals are snapped up.

Interesting read! I just bought my first RV: 1998 Allegro bay 34' on Ford chassis with the V10. I was nervous about driving it home, but it wasn't that bad! Planning on flat towing my Jeep with it all over! Hopefully I get to EJS 2020 next year too!

Reactions: ac_ and bobthetj03
We own a Forest River toyhauler. It's a 2012 which we bought new in 2011. Its the best trailer we've ever had. Aluminum wall frames and fiberglass siding.
That being said, RVs are for fix it people. Handyman types. The construction quality will make one chuckle. If you can replace a power outlet or toilet in your home, or change the brakes on your jeep; You should be good. Otherwise, you might be better off in a hotel or tent.

Reactions: Alex0413

Happy RVing.
So.... Half off a Dutch Star... That's still about a buck fifty, no? They are very nice though... Newmar is top of the line. Been in the production facility in Middlebury, IN.