Advice from RV owners out there?

What are the good quality brands out there, say within the past 10 years or so. I own a 2011 Thor Class C, and I'm not impressed with the quality, fit or finish of a lot of the coach portions of the RV. I've heard Winnebego, Jayco, and Fleetwood are some good makers to look after. How if Forest River? Any experience with these makers or others?
What are the good quality brands out there, say within the past 10 years or so. I own a 2011 Thor Class C, and I'm not impressed with the quality, fit or finish of a lot of the coach portions of the RV. I've heard Winnebego, Jayco, and Fleetwood are some good makers to look after. How if Forest River? Any experience with these makers or others?
Most of the RV forums I have reviewed generally favor Tiffin and Newmar if you are considering new. I have owned both a Winnebago 31 Foot Class A Vista and a year ago we bought a new 31 foot Tiffin Allegro. Both are on a Ford F53 chassis with the V10. The main difference between the two is the Tiffin is a six speed and that has made all the difference in the world in shift patterns. The quality control of Tiffin was very poor, but there is no paper covered particle board. Everything is solid surface and real wood. Tiffin customer service is exceptional and I have heard the same about Newmar. Regardless of what you buy, If you are an RV owner, you better be handy because STUFF breaks and stops working or breaks on a regular basis.

Reactions: KMET
This is about as far from a class-A as you can get but it suits us fine. It is an Adventurer 86FB on a F350.

Truck_camper_Rubicon.jpg

That is a nice setup! Ours is a little cozy with the 2 of us and a 85lb. pup. Hoping to upgrade to a 27-28 footer in the near future.
20171124_145028.jpg

Reactions: TJDaveX
Nice set up! You can go a lot of places with that set up.

Exactly! We've gone to Death Valley a couple of times with that and camped way up the side of the valley with a beautiful view. You have to be at least 1 mile off the main road to be legal and this rig worked perfectly. We've seen people pull small trailers up there but I doubt you could get a class A/B/C to that spot. We camped there and played around with the Rubicon during the day. Meanwhile, down at Furnace Creek people are camped cheek to jowl with generators running and music blasting.

Reactions: lowranger
I'm sure you have already done it, but if you really want to get away from the camping crowd, unhook the Ruby and let your wife follow you. Looks like your truck is 4 wheel drive. :)

I'm sure you have already done it, but if you really want to get away from the camping crowd, unhook the Ruby and let your wife follow you. Looks like your truck is 4 wheel drive. :)

The F350 is 4WD with a locking rear diff. It hasn't had any problem towing the Rubicon, at least not yet.

Keep an eye on the NorCal Jeep Adventures thread and come join us one of these times. If we do an overnighter, bring your set up and camp out with us.

Thanks for the invite. Note that I am a newby at this and my Rubicon is not "Rubicon trail" caliber. I have scared myself a few times with it, but I've never done any rock crawling.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Thanks for the invite. Note that I am a newby at this and my Rubicon is not "Rubicon trail" caliber. I have scared myself a few times with it, but I've never done any rock crawling.
That's okay. Who ever puts on a run will let you know how the trail is going to be ahead of time. I'm not a rock crawler or hard core kinda wheeler. I don't want to tear my stuff up. Knowing you're a newbie, we'll help you out.

You get the best of a Class A with GVRW, but still get the class C driving comfort. I wouldn't be opposed, other than the diesel, but at that point, the weight would require it.

Reactions: Mike_H
You get the best of a Class A with GVRW, but still get the class C driving comfort. I wouldn't be opposed, other than the diesel, but at that point, the weight would require it.
Your point about driving comfort piques my interest. What is it about driving a class A that is uncomfortable? Is it the position out over the front wheels, or is it just "different?"