Advice on 31X10.50R15 tires

Creakydoor

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Part of my TJ build includes getting new tires to replace my current 15 (!) year old ones.

I’ve read a lot of threads on 31’s vs 33’s. I know I would like the look of the 33’s more because of the extra height, and I can fit them with my current lift upgrade plans. But I really don’t *need* them for what I’m planning with my TJ. Not that everything always has to be just based on need. :)

Ultimately, I don’t think I want the extra hassle and expense of possible upgrades needed for brakes, axles, regearing, worse gas mileage, more unsprung weight, etc. This all said, there’s still a nagging part of me that says to go for some 33/10.5/15 and live with the downsides. E.g. I have a 4.0L with a 5 speed, so I could make due.

Any last words saying I should go for the 33’s in spite of some downsides?

Ok, now back to practical talk about 31’s.

I need tires that will be well mannered (I.e. good ride, not too loud) onroad since that’s where it will live 80-90% of the time. And I’d like them to be capable for some off road duty as well—nothing too extreme needed though. This is *not* my DD, so I can make some trade offs if needed. I’ve read a lot of threads and they are all over the place because people have very different needs. I’m leaning towards good ALl Terrain tires since I think that’s the right balance for me. But I’m open to ideas.

Here’s what’s currently on my short list based on what I think I want the end result to be. I would love to hear feedback on them and am open to suggestions about others.
- BFG AT T/A K02
- Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
- Mickey Thompson Baja ATZP3

Thanks in advance.

The first two on your list are very popular with good reason. I run the DT and it's a good tire. Pretty quiet, are wearing well, work well off road, no issues on road

I looove my bfg ko2 at.

Just did a joshua tree desert run (soft sand) combined with sharp rocks, and mtn trails ( big bear) the day before. Tires performed excellent! And a 2.5 hr freeway drive.

20180902_151817.jpg
20180902_145900.jpg
20180902_131416.jpg
20180901_161552.jpg

I have nothing but good things to say about Goodyear Duratracs! I ran them for years, in just about everything. They perform awesome all year round.

I have nothing but good things to say about Goodyear Duratracs! I ran them for years, in just about everything. They perform awesome all year round.
I have gotten the sense you love them from other threads. :). And you’re happy with on road performance too?

I have gotten the sense you love them from other threads. :). And you’re happy with on road performance too?

Absolutely. They perform amazing both on-road and off-road. Rain, snow, mud, forest service roads. They are a great all around tire!

Reactions: Creakydoor
Thought about 32" tires? Happy medium. I'll be getting tires before winter. I'm going with Falken Wildpeak MTs. I know four people with them and no complaints.
The problem I saw with the 32’s were that they were quite a bit heavier because they were 11.5 instead of 10.5. So I would be getting the weight of some of the 33/10.5’s but not the extra height.

Reactions: RGTJ24
Absolutely. They perform amazing both on-road and off-road. Rain, snow, mud, forest service roads. They are a great all around tire!
But, Chris, the Duratrac’s only have a max speed of 100 and the BFG’s can go up to 112. I’d really be making a big compromise if I can only do 100. :)

In looking at the Discount Tire web site, all the feedback and ratings are very very similar between the two. So both look to be good choices.

Reactions: Sancho and Chris
But, Chris, the Duratrac’s only have a max speed of 100 and the BFG’s can go up to 112. I’d really be making a big compromise if I can only do 100. :)

In looking at the Discount Tire web site, all the feedback and ratings are very very similar between the two. So both look to be good choices.

Haha! I’d be scared to take my TJ to 100!

The two tires are comparable and I wouldn’t hesitate to run either the Duratrac or the KO2

Never heard a bad thing about the ko2 or duratrac.

I run ko2 at... ko at before that. They last a long time.

Reactions: Creakydoor
I have had nothing but bad luck with K02's personally. I have never had a set wear good, and I have had them on different vehicles. I actually just bought a 3/4 ton truck that has a set of 35's k02s, and they are the best warn set I have ever had, but I do like the duratracs. I would say they balance better than the BFG's in my opinion. I just bought a Cooper STT pro and I am really liking those on my TJ. They are slightly noisier than the Duratracs, but a little more aggressive. I have found the Duratracs to be quieter than the k02's too at least on my TJ.

Also as a fun fact Mickey Thompsons are owned by Cooper. I thought you would get a kick out of that!

I would say +1 for the duratracs and +1 for the cooper stt pro if you are looking for a little more aggressive. I am starting to be more of a Cooper fan lately.

I am not sure why the k02's are so popular, maybe I just got some bad ones, but I sure have not had much luck with them. Now years ago I ran the MT's exclusively and I really liked them, but I think now I would run Cooper over BFG's

This is just my opinion, and by the looks of it not a popular one, but there you have it.

Reactions: Mudflat
I put 31x10.5x15 Yoko Geolanders on my 2000 TJ 4.0 5 speed. I wanted to keep the suspension stock and avoid build issues when I am doing no rock crawling, 40% highway, 30% country roads, 30% dirt roads and over land. My decision was to stay stock regarding suspension, and from what I have read on this forum, 31's are the max for stock. I had to add two washers to my steering stops to stop the rubbing, but no real big change in turning radius, but I know it is not as tight as if I had the original size tires with no rubbing. I am very satisfied with the Geolanders for my use, ride good on highway and seem capable enough for my off road use. Not going mudding or rock climbing anytime soon, so 31's seem perfect for me.

I have 31x10.5r16 Milestar Patagonia A/T that I got just so I could put my wheels on. I told the shop "I need a 31 in a/t tire that is cheap" and this is what they put on. I want to say I payed a little over $150/ tire for mount and balance. And they work surprisingly well. You can't hear any tire noise with the top on and only a faint noise with the doors off. When aired down they actually work very well off-road.
I put Pro Comp 31 Series wheels. There's not much to say but they look awesome and with the combo I don't rub at all.

upload_2018-9-8_11-29-43.png

May I suggest Cooper ST Maxx, for me it's best all round tyre.
In twenty eight years of jeep ownership ( 1990 YJ until 2006,2006 TJ-L now ) I've driven on both KO&KM's in 33-9.5 and 33-10.5, now 31-10.5-15 ST Maxx.

They wear very well and off-road they're very robust. As for trail excursions I've gotten excellent traction!

My TJ-L is DD as well, they're a smooth riding tyre, rotate and balance every 6Kish!
Good Luck!

May I suggest Cooper ST Maxx, for me it's best all round tyre.
In twenty eight years of jeep ownership ( 1990 YJ until 2006,2006 TJ-L now ) I've driven on both KO&KM's in 33-9.5 and 33-10.5, now 31-10.5-15 ST Maxx.

They wear very well and off-road they're very robust. As for trail excursions I've gotten excellent traction!

My TJ-L is DD as well, they're a smooth riding tyre, rotate and balance every 6Kish!
Good Luck!
They really have an aggressive look...they were just being introduced when I put my duratracs on so I went with a "known"

K02's were my first choice the problem I had with them when on the trail every little tiny pebble & rock stuck in the tread and when I got on the road they came flying out like bullets at 55-70 mph. Some guy flipped me off in 3 different languages I recognized two of them. I have know doubt they are a good tire and last a long time but I ended up buying a more aggressive, self cleaning, directional tire, no regrets.

Reactions: Creakydoor and JMT