Advice on 6" bench vise

I need a 6" bench vise. Any recommendations? I couldnt tell a good from a bad one.
Need it for u joint replacing, etc

Look around locally on craigslist or facebook marketplace for a big old American hunk of metal. Sometimes you get lucky and get a decent find otherwise it's chinese castings. I have an older imported Wilton that does well.

Reactions: jgaz and KCsTJ
Depends on what on what you need a vise for. If you need one for heavy duty , buy a Wilton. I use mine for gunsmithing, and both my Craftsman vises have held up for years and keep on going strong.

Reactions: KCsTJ
If you have time, check estate sales, garage sales and craigslist. They can be expensive. I just feel into one about 2 months ago. It’s heavy duty

Reactions: Jack72 and KCsTJ
Another great brand to look at is an old used record, but it must say made in England on the casting. All the newer ones are made in China.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: PCO6
Look around locally on craigslist or facebook marketplace for a big old American hunk of metal. Sometimes you get lucky and get a decent find otherwise it's chinese castings. I have an older imported Wilton that does well.

I agree with above advice. Keep looking they are out there.
I looked for over a year with my heart set on a Wilton Bullet, couldn’t find anything.

Then I found this 4” Columbian that was filthy and quite rusted.
I restored it about eight years ago and quit looking.
(It’s shown here with DIY wooden jaws)

54D9BBC0-05C9-4DF0-8920-82958A4E5D77.jpeg

Since then I’ve seen two Bullets but both were waaay more money than my Columbian.
Good luck

Reactions: KCsTJ and TJ4Jim
If you have the money a Wilton bullet or round shank vise are near unbreakable.

Reactions: KCsTJ