Advice on how to sell my Jeep

I just have to comment.

1) If this deal falls through, call a frame shop, ask them what it'll cost to take a look at the frame and say that it's in good shape. Then you can sell it as "salvage title Jeep fixed by this mechanic and validated by this frame shop" which will carry weight for buyers open to a salvage title but on the fence about the actual damage.

2) Fix the leaks and be done with them. You don't have to disclose them if you addressed the issue. Can you imagine selling a Jeep and having to tell a prospective buyer about every fix we've had to make to our Jeeps?

3) Miata's are the most popular roadster ever. You're not going to have a problem finding one when you are ready to get one. Maybe holding on to the Jeep for a while longer puts you in a better position to get the Miata.

4) You said the Jeep with a clear title in your area was worth about $8k. Most people will tell you a salvage title will net you about 60% of a vehicle with a clear title. So..... There is a real & valid reason people are suggestion you take the first $5,000 offer you get.

5) I'm looking for a Miata too. (likely a 2021 project) What Miata forum are you on? ;)

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

That miata looks a lot better than the project I picked up a few months back.

20191202_203648.jpg
20191218_172400.jpg

Reactions: JMT and DrDmoney
Is there a Jeep/Miata relationship I don't know about? I love my Jeep and wouldn't trade it for the world. It's a great summer car that handles itself in the snow. Its simple to work on and has a huge aftermarket offering and support community behind it.

But with that being said I miss having a cheap, simple car with a manual transmission that is low to the ground and fun to corner with. (I had first get RX-7s when I was younger) I think Miatas would fit that need pretty well.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread and make it somewhat productive.

You know it. They are extremely simple cars though. I replaced the whole front subframe, control arms, engine mounts, top, fender, door, and other miscellaneous things. I told the wife it would take months to fix but it actually went together quickly without any drama. All that and I'm still into it less than an atlas 2 speed lol.

You know it. They are extremely simple cars though. I replaced the whole front subframe, control arms, engine mounts, top, fender, door, and other miscellaneous things. I told the wife it would take months to fix but it actually went together quickly without any drama. All that and I'm still into it less than an atlas 2 speed lol.
Are you hinting at a future upgrade?

1) If this deal falls through, call a frame shop, ask them what it'll cost to take a look at the frame and say that it's in good shape. Then you can sell it as "salvage title Jeep fixed by this mechanic and validated by this frame shop" which will carry weight for buyers open to a salvage title but on the fence about the actual damage.

That won't be necessary. OP mentions it's a rebuilt title, so that means the Jeep has already had a state DMV verify the fix. Once verified according to whatever criteria they use, it's eligible to convert from a salvage title to a rebuilt one.

Reactions: Chris
Is there a Jeep/Miata relationship I don't know about?

I've owned three Miatas, the most recent being a NC Miata. They are absolutely fantastic cars to own and drive. Even though the Wrangler and the Miata seem vastly different, they have a lot in common. Both smaller "convertibles" technically, and both very good at what they do.

If you get a chance to drive a Miata in the Summer with the top down on some backroads, I promise you you'll love it. Of course DO NOT bother if it's an automatic, can't stress that enough.

That won't be necessary. OP mentions it's a rebuilt title, so that means the Jeep has already had a state DMV verify the fix. Once verified according to whatever criteria they use, it's eligible to convert from a salvage title to a rebuilt one.

Depends on the state. Many states are more interested in knowing that the vehicle was fixed with legit purchased parts (not stolen) than a true safety inspection. In Illinois only a certified rebuild mechanic can apply for a built inspection and many times they just want to make sure the $500+ check clear.

At the very least having a frame shop involved negates the ’F@$k you, it was only minor frame damage’ attitude we got in this thread.

I've owned three Miatas, the most recent being a NC Miata. They are absolutely fantastic cars to own and drive. Even though the Wrangler and the Miata seem vastly different, they have a lot in common. Both smaller "convertibles" technically, and both very good at what they do.

If you get a chance to drive a Miata in the Summer with the top down on some backroads, I promise you you'll love it. Of course DO NOT bother if it's an automatic, can't stress that enough.
X2. The miata like the wrangler are both enthusiast vechiles known for being at the top of their class for their given purposes. Given it takes an enthusiast to own a 14- 23 year old vechile it's not a stretch that many of us have other "fun" cars for different purposes. I've been eyeballing na miatas since I was quite young and actually almost bought one instead of my YJ.

Around here a stick is a pain, just for me to go to work I hit 13 stop signs and 11 lights and that is only in a 14 mile commute, another reason I am getting rid of the TR6...although I will probably regret it. It spent it's entire life until 2014 in Houston and is truly rust free.

X2. The miata like the wrangler are both enthusiast vechiles known for being at the top of their class for their given purposes. Given it takes an enthusiast to own a 14- 23 year old vechile it's not a stretch that many of us have other "fun" cars for different purposes. I've been eyeballing na miatas since I was quite young and actually almost bought one instead of my YJ.

I agree 100%. And while I loved my NC, the ND is absolutely phenomenal. Somehow they manage to keep improving on the Miata with each generation, it's really cool!

I always tell everyone I know to go drive a Miata and then tell me they don't love it. They truly are fun cars!

Around here a stick is a pain, just for me to go to work I hit 13 stop signs and 11 lights and that is only in a 14 mile commute, another reason I am getting rid of the TR6...although I will probably regret it. It spent it's entire life until 2014 in Houston and is truly rust free.

A stick would be a pain around there for sure. Hell, even around here in traffic it would be a pain. However, when I look at a car like the Miata, I know that I'd never be commuting in it or driving it anywhere near traffic, so I wouldn't even bother with it if it was an auto. For the daily though, I wouldn't own anything but an auto.

Reactions: Alex01 and Tigger09
I "rented" a '92 Miata one weekend from a co-worker. Did a little road trip in it. The wife and I put almost 500 miles on it, if I recall correctly, with the majority of that having the top down. Prior to that experience, I considered the Miata as something of a foo-foo car, geared more toward an early 20-something female. Rowing through the gears and keeping the revs up in that little thing showed me that I couldn't have been more wrong. They're cheap, fun, and reliable toys! However, they're also small. Really small. I hope the OP knows what he's getting into for a daily driver, or he might have another car for sale in short order.