Advice on how to sell my Jeep

Dude - let me put it this way. A Jeep TJ was the vehicle I always wanted growing up. I worked for 4 years after college before I finally had the balls and money saved to buy it (w/payments brand new). Before that, I drove around in a turquoise Dodge Neon that cockblocked me more than I care to admit. 19 years later, I still own that TJ which is relegated to weekend fun. Point is, you seem to fall in and out of “love” pretty quickly and that is going to get you in trouble. (Already has.)

These so called “dream” cars are not necessarily rare. You may miss out on one but something else will always come along. You’ve got a decently reliable vehicle with a lot of utility right now. I would drive that and save your money. An old, used Miata should never be considered anyone’s dream car and scrounging around for 5k to buy a 20 year old vehicle is not something you want to do. Fix the Jeep (you’ve been given a looooot of advice on how to do that), pay it off, and save up for when the time is right.

Reactions: Chris and Zedd
Dude - let me put it this way. A Jeep TJ was the vehicle I always wanted growing up. I worked for 4 years after college before I finally had the balls and money saved to buy it (w/payments brand new). Before that, I drove around in a turquoise Dodge Neon that cockblocked me more than I care to admit. 19 years later, I still own that TJ which is relegated to weekend fun. Point is, you seem to fall in and out of “love” pretty quickly and that is going to get you in trouble. (Already has.)

These so called “dream” cars are not necessarily rare. You may miss out on one but something else will always come along. You’ve got a decently reliable vehicle with a lot of utility right now. I would drive that and save your money. An old, used Miata should never be considered anyone’s dream car and scrounging around for 5k to buy a 20 year old vehicle is not something you want to do. Fix the Jeep (you’ve been given a looooot of advice on how to do that), pay it off, and save up for when the time is right.
No interest in fixing the jeep. I did abit already and that was enough for me. Mechanically it’s great and that’s what matters really. When I get a good price for the jeep like I said or the thing with my mother works out I’ll make the Miata happen. My goal this time is to get the car I want and not do what I did with this Jeep. Someone else will appreciate it more than I.
I don’t see why cheap older cars can’t be dream cars. I mean my dream car was a TJ and look how that turned out lol. But hey I got the wrong one I’m just gonna fight harder to get the car actually want.

That being said, a guy’s got a Miata he wants to trade for my Jeep + Cash. I’m going to go see it today the problem is that it’s blue with white stripes so it’s incredibly ugly and it’s an automatic transmission which I don’t want. This is a great example of what happened with getting the jeep where I didn’t fight for what I really wanted cuz money. It would take away the jeep for me and it would pay off my payment. So this trade is actually exactly doing what I want to do. However the problem is - is the car itself and I know if I had it I would be unhappy and would want a different Miata so I would just be doing exactly what I did before😂 Plus it’s a rebuilt title😂😂 if I actually did this trade I would be doing myself a huge disservice emotionally and have learned nothing!😂😂

Last edited:
You could wait years for a thread like this to turn up and when it finally does it's just so delicious. I want it to go on forever!

I don't know where I stand here. On the one hand grown-up me sees him as just an impulsive boy who can't get out of his own way (we've all done this sort of thing), but on the other hand immature me sees a smart-ass know-it-all pitching a bitch fit because he wants what he wants and he wants it now and by God NO! he did not make a dumb mistake getting himself upside down with the orange Jeep. It's a fine fine fine Jeep - NO FRAME DAMAGE!!! - but he's not in love with it anymore and has instead fallen hard for that sweet little Mazda with its tight trunk and perky little headlights. This is high comedy friends. :) :)

I think the clincher though is he's now trying to drag his Mom into his mess. His Mom! "Hey Mom, how about I take MY problem and make it YOUR problem?"

A few things are clear though:
1. This kid ain't taking anybody's advice, ever.
2. He'll be on a Miata forum (if he isn't already) talking all about his DREAM CAR and how in love he is...until the radiator goes. Because, you know, it's all fun and games until somebody gets his eye poked out.
3. There's at least 10 people in his circle secretly chuckling about this.

Please keep this thread going. It's pure entertainment.

@OP...just keep the jeep for now,and once the rainy season is over and the never ending blue sky dry summer days are here you'll be loving it again. Lol...

Good luck selling..I got no dog in this fight.

@OP...just keep the jeep for now,and once the rainy season is over and the never ending blue sky dry summer days are here you'll be loving it again. Lol...

Good luck selling..I got no dog in this fight.

Come to the party late my friend. Hope you brought beer :) :) :)

So are those the Endless Mountains back there?

…. rainy season is over … dry summer days are here you'll be loving it again. Lol...

This is true … and if the OP still wants to sell it someone else might love it enough to buy it for these reasons and at a decent price.

I bought my TJ at a 3 ring circus. Original vendor inherited it from his mother but didn't want it. He wanted a snow mobile and found a guy who was having a hard time selling one in March so they traded. That guy didn't want the TJ either but knew it would be easier to sell in March. I had just retired and wanted a TJ. This all happened in about 10 days. All 3 of us got what we wanted.

0573DC8C-B89F-4095-A1E9-7AFE96F1027D.jpeg
Ok we are ready now. Had to make some snacks 🤣

Take the $5000 pay off your debt and buy a cheaper MM like this;

00w0w_dJiU1adWeow_600x450.jpg

1991 Mazda Miata MX-5
SUPER fun Miata. If you're shopping for an NA Miata, then you know what you're in for — the best original, RELIABLE roadster. Direct road-feel, manual steering, manual transmission. ***Long nose...
portland.craigslist.org
or this;

00G0G_MSJbJ8sFf1_600x450.jpg

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible Special Edition
1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible Special Edition 5-Spd Ready To Upgrade Your Ride Today? We Make It Fast & Easy! Call (or text) ☏ Sunset Motors LLC 2927 SE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR 97266 Copy...
portland.craigslist.org

I think you paid more for your T J than it’s true worth so why do you expect to get more for your TJ than what you paid?

Reactions: reddvltj
I would highly recommend staying away from any of these Miatas. The asking price might be low but parts for these are as rare as hens teeth. Mazda only recently announced they may start making some essential components for enthusiasts again but these aren't going to be cheap. Aftermarket support is not like it is for TJs and even there parts are sometimes hard to get. Add to that the pure impracticality of these with no room whatsoever and you’ll quickly regret it. These are perfect as a second or third car when you’re older but not when you’re making payments and actually need a vehicle to get around. The good news is the newer miatas are even better so if you hold off, you can always put one of those in your garage later.

I would highly recommend staying away from any of these Miatas. The asking price might be low but parts for these are as rare as hens teeth. Mazda only recently announced they may start making some essential components for enthusiasts again but these aren't going to be cheap. Aftermarket support is not like it is for TJs and even there parts are sometimes hard to get. Add to that the pure impracticality of these with no room whatsoever and you’ll quickly regret it. These are perfect as a second or third car when you’re older but not when you’re making payments and actually need a vehicle to get around. The good news is the newer miatas are even better so if you hold off, you can always put one of those in your garage later.
But you don’t understand, he’s in love for the second time in 5 months and you’re being pragmatic. No amount of good advice outweighs getting your most recent dream car.

Edit: I'm just trying to help him get into the next forum.

Wow....this thread! I can’t believe I waited this long to click it. Should be made into a Netflix series.

I’m about 15 years older than the OP so it’s not too long ago I was in your shoes. I can relate somewhat. I wanted to trade in cars for other cars that I probably couldn’t afford. I was impatient and materialistic and not focused on the financial impact of these decisions. Like most early 20 somethings, I didn’t have much savings either. Luckily, those 2 times I almost pulled the trigger (first time on a mercedes c-class hatchback, second time being a G35), I just couldn’t sign the papers. Commitment issues I suppose. Looking back on it now, those were some of the best financial decisions I ever made. It’s stupid and would have put me wayyy behind the 8 ball. So I know it’s hard to not get what you want at the moment, but sometimes it’s what’s best for you. And being 23 I realize you want to do the opposite of what everyone is telling you to do.

I agree with majority of the advice already given. You already made it known you want to get rid of it so I won’t say just keep it. But I would have taken the $5k because I feel like that’s the ceiling for your particular TJ. Pay off the rest and buy a car you can afford. Or save up and get a bus pass or use Uber until you have enough to buy what you really want. At the moment you can’t afford that Miata. If it is your “dream” car, you have to keep dreaming for a bit longer. You’re only 23. IMO still kinda young to know what your dream car is. Good luck.

Well before this post gets closed I figured I would jump in. My second Jeep is a 2004 2.4 that has a clean title, with 124k at the time I bought it also has a solid frame it was sold to me for a whole 2k. I put shocks, timing belt, plugs etc. its my beater with a heater. I could sell it for more then I paid in a heartbeat, but I got it to have fun.

If you do post it on Craigslist watch out for scams.
One that I came across is the perspective buyer will ask you to run a car fax type report. They’ll send you the link...
Ask me how I know 🤪

Reactions: reddvltj
And, I'm still not sure what you paid for it. 4K cash plus a loan for 3k, totaling 7k? Or a loan for 4K, totaling 7k with interest? Oregon is a state where there is no penalty for early loan payoff. Either way, I'd take the 5k offer too. Most cars depreciate anyways, rare is the person that makes money on them.