Advice on inspecting a totaled "parts Jeep"

Muddyjeep276

I recently bought a parts jeep that had a major front end collision. Im hoping it will have some usable/rebuildable parts I can use on my simalar model Jeep.

Is there any way to inspect the axle housings and transfer case to know if theyre worth rebuilding or scrap.

The controll arms in front were bent, and the impact destroyed the front clip and motor accessories on the drivers side.

I know ill be looking for cracks and leaks with the transfer case and transmission. Im especialy interested in good ways to check axles.

20210320_172421.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Squatch
That is a pretty messed up Jeep. There may be more OK parts behind what might be called the B pillar then anywhere else.

Hopefully the transmission and transfer case are Ok.

I think if you want to check the rear axle all you really need to do is is take a good look at the control arm mounts to make sure they are OK then measure the distance between each good wheel wheel at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock to make sure they are all the same. Hopefully those wheels are good. I want to say the front axle needs the same measurements but any good toe in is probablye long gone and even if you fixed that the axle may still be bent.

Maybe measuring from each end of the axle housing to a long straight edge at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock may let you know but I'm not sure about that.

Reactions: Muddyjeep276
That is a pretty messed up Jeep. There may be more OK parts behind what might be called the B pillar then anywhere else.

Hopefully the transmission and transfer case are Ok.

I think if you want to check the rear axle all you really need to do is is take a good look at the control arm mounts to make sure they are OK then measure the distance between each good wheel wheel at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock to make sure they are all the same. Hopefully those wheels are good. I want to say the front axle needs the same measurements but any good toe in is probablye long gone and even if you fixed that the axle may still be bent.

Maybe measuring from each end of the axle housing to a long straight edge at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock may let you know but I'm not sure about that.
Thanks Jeepcjtj. Ill try that for the back. I've got a few days before delivery, calling in favor to get it hauled.
The rear control arms look good, but the front arms are bent and the flange to the axle i think also.
Im pretty suspect the front could be bad but optimistic enough to check.

The previous owner had just replaced axleseals.

I'd be surprised if that transfer case is not damaged.
A front end hit typically drives the shaft into the transfer case.

Not sure what parts you bought it for, but I’d say you may get a good mirror out of it. And maybe a gas cap.

In a all seriousness, the rear diff is likely just fine.

Reactions: CharlesHS
A front end hit typically drives the shaft into the transfer case.

Not sure what parts you bought it for, but I’d say you may get a good mirror out of it. And maybe a gas cap.

In a all seriousness, the rear diff is likely just fine.
I struck out on the gas cap, it had a locking cap I won't have the key to. btw mine has been busted a while.
I guess I'll quit putting off buying a new gas cap now.

Reactions: Chris
Working overtime so I've only got to check it out a few minuites. Im pretty sure the tub is out of square, frame is toast from impact mostly on the front shock tower.

I think ill have to pressure wash underneath to get a better idea about the transmission/transfer case. Theres definitely oil underneath so I cant tell of its from a rear main seal or valve cover, or something broke. Possibly all the above.

It all depends on what you paid and what you want. If it was $200 and you needed seats, seatbelts, and a rear tailgate, you'll be able to sell dash misc, the passenger door, rear pieces, and some wheels and still come out ahead.

But I'm finding shipping is a pain. Scrap prices are going up and the local U-pull-it yard would give $400 for that and pick it up.

If it's a Rubicon and the transfer case is good, you might get $1000-1,500 and similar for the rear axle and all the locker stuff.

You'd be amazed at how much there is to strip off the engine bay. It may not be worth your time, but in a DIY wrecking lot it would get picked clean by people needing minor parts, wiring harness, lights, brackets,ECU, etc. Even lug nuts and the remaining tires would go fast.

Last edited:
The only way to accurately inspect the axle housings is to pull them out and strip them down to the bare housings. Have a local machine shop make some "pucks" to the OD of the carrier races and the ID of a tight tolerance 6' rod from Mcmastercarr. This will tell you if the axles are good and can be used as a gauge to straighten.

20200701_184621_resized_1.jpg

The only way to accurately inspect the axle housings is to pull them out and strip them down to the bare housings. Have a local machine shop make some "pucks" to the OD of the carrier races and the ID of a tight tolerance 6' rod from Mcmastercarr. This will tell you if the axles are good and can be used as a gauge to straighten.

View attachment 241629
Thanks, that picture explains a little more what a friend and fabricator told me.

Ive been thinking about a regear, I guess I can pull theese and have them checked by the same shop to do the regear.
Im thinking I can pull these have them checked, regeared and possibly some fabrication work done.
This way I could avoid some downtime with my Jeep since its my only vehicle right now.

If you got it free to do a video on the dangers of texting and driving for teens, you win. Otherwise it's just a future rat's nest and keeps you from mowing the grass under it. :unsure:

p.s. If you have the extra cash, buy this 04' for $2500 and put an engine in it and I'll give you $7,000 cash for it. Please paint the fender flares too. I'm an hour away from it.
https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/d/fredericksburg-2004-jeep-wrangler-tj/7302438901.html
Id say a little bit of poison might be in order on mice, the snakes came with it and probably helps some too.

Good luck on that green jeep it looks solid even it is green. Im looking for the right tub to fix my jeep that I daily drive. Just waiting on money and opportunity to meet...lol