Advice on OBA tank, horns, and LED headlights

verf

Supporting Member
New-ish to the 'new' forum and struggling to use the search feature...

Anywho, with all this COVID fun, I've been forced into my 401k. So I figured, while I'm in there, I'll reward myself with some toys. looking for an onboard air system for tire refills that can handle 2-3 Jeeps without burning out. Also, not a fan of the OEM horn, so I'll add a tank and some trumpets. Not looking for train levels, but def LOUD. I added LED brake lights last year for brighter reverse lights and love them, no issues. But looking for LED Headlights opens up its own internet worth of products and I don't trust Amazon ratings on such things. Not opposed to the halo-style, but def want to be able to SEE while driving at night.

Thanks all, appreciate your insight and advice.

PS I'm a Grandpa, so no need for the irresponsibilities of air powered horns please. Its not replacing regular horn

Many will tell you that there isn't any need for a air tank since you can't get one large enough to make a difference when filling tires. The ARB compressors are very good and have a lot of good rating.
The next choice is something from Viair as they also have good reviews.
Last choice is to mechanical onboard air system like this: https://www.cuoffroad.com/product-lines/complete-airboss-kits/jeep-airboss-kits/
But you can do it for cheaper by using junk yard parts.

Here is a thread about onboard air: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/on-board-air-system-ideas-and-suggestions.31868/

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-for-your-tj-lj-viair-400h.10235/#post-210622
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-compressor-do-you-recommend.5484/

Reactions: verf
Engine driven York or Sanden for OBA. Gives you an endless supply of air if its lubed correctly.

20191019_165338.jpg
20191104_170522.jpg

It really depends on what kind of horn you want to run. If you're looking for a K5HA, M5, K5LA, or similar train horn, you're going to need the biggest tank you can fit.

A full size train horn generally consumes about 150 scfm at 125-150 PSI, so a tank is mandatory. The best compressor kits for the TJ only produce about 15 scfm (York or similar). Thus, you need a tank to charge and discharge.

A 5 gallon tank at 150 psi holds about 7 standard cubic feet (scf) of air. Run down to 50 PSI, you will get about 4.5 useful cubic feet out of it, or just under two seconds of blast at near full volume. Ultimately, the volume and air consumption drops as the pressure drops, but the horn will be near dead in about four seconds.

Here is a good video on runtime of various horns on a 20 gallon tank:

Assuming you're looking for something less, you can usually get away with a small compressor. But unless the horn has very low CFM requirements, you would still likely need a rank of some size. A 2.5 gallon Viair tank can easily be mounted under the TJ adjacent to the rear driveshaft.

Reactions: verf
Thanks all! I really did try searching... I appreciate the links!

And def looking at a smaller horns than those in the vid! lol, great educational vid, thanks. I figure if I'm gonna put an OBA in, might as well have some fun too. Def staying away from train horns, lol, gonna look at smaller truck horns.

I've heard about York before, do you lose A/C? I don't use it often, but I'm not getting younger, I enjoy my A/C when needed, lol

Thanks all!

Thanks all! I really did try searching... I appreciate the links!

And def looking at a smaller horns than those in the vid! lol, great educational vid, thanks. I figure if I'm gonna put an OBA in, might as well have some fun too. Def staying away from train horns, lol, gonna look at smaller truck horns.

I've heard about York before, do you lose A/C? I don't use it often, but I'm not getting younger, I enjoy my A/C when needed, lol

Thanks all!
No you don't loose your AC, I have the York system and my Factory AC and horns. I have quick disconnect fittings at the front and rear of my jeep

10_zps8ff2e017.JPG

11_zpsaaaabd7e.JPG

66_zps20e38672.JPG

Iphone6 153.JPG

Iphone6 217.JPG

23_zpsfee37e77.jpg

photo_6_zps9eec14d4.JPG

photo_7_zps393e1c0a.jpg

I really like that idea and my TJ already has the AC mount and empty space for it. Thank you for sharing

I really like that idea and my TJ already has the AC mount and empty space for it. Thank you for sharing
Their kits are designed to work with or without factory A/C. It mounts where the alternator is and lowers the alternator underneath it. It does not replace the factory A/C compressor, nor does it bolt there.

So if you have factory A/C, you can run it and the belt driven air compressor at the same time. If you don’t have factory A/C, you can still retrofit it with this kit installed.

The difference in the A/C and no A/C kits is simply the length of the belt provided.

The kit does not come with a tank. For filling tires, you really don’t need one. If you’re running air tools, horns, or an AiRock suspension (or anything where the instantaneous draw can exceed the output of the compressor), then you can add a tank.

I believe a 2.5 gallon Viair tank fits to the left of the rear driveshaft on the underside of the tub.

Reactions: verf and Ephry73
Thanks, I may go this route. Love the QD's front n back. What air tank did you use?
It's a 2-1/2 Gallon but I can't remember where I bought it from. Not sure if you really need it or not. I can say that the air coming from a york is very hot, I had to switch out my rubber hose for a SS braided Hose for the first few feet

It's a 2-1/2 Gallon but I can't remember where I bought it from. Not sure if you really need it or not. I can say that the air coming from a york is very hot, I had to switch out my rubber hose for a SS braided Hose for the first few feet

Thanks. I'm in love with the York option, however, talking the CFO (wife) in a air horn allowance increase from a $500 kit to this, oh boy. But no way to get more liable air and fast.

Reactions: Ephry73
Sure opens up a bunch of ideas
Thanks. I'm in love with the York option, however, talking the CFO (wife) in a air horn allowance increase from a $500 kit to this, oh boy. But no way to get more liable air and fast.