Advice on reassembly after new A/C and heater cores

VadeerHunter

Supporting Member
Long story, short version, Shop I hired to install my fully rebuilt and pressure checked air box, cracked the AC Core when failing to read the instructions on how to insert and align the lines. They claim the AC Core was defective. So, I am stuck replacing the core myself. Air box is back in and lines for AC and heater have been pressure tested, no leaks. So, the question is at what point can I reinstall the battery so I can plug in and check things as I reconnect stuff? The dash is hung but not screwed down and I have the HVAC connections, radio and switches to sort out. Steering is in place, fuse panel back and secured air bag connected. I'd like to be able to check things as I go. Suggestions, comments, warnings, advice all appreciated. I'm 71 and this has been a huge job for me.

TNX Pat (AKA VAdeerhunter)

Put the battery in after its all done. Take pictures of everything you disconnect if you need reminders to plug them back in.

Put the battery in after its all done. Take pictures of everything you disconnect if you need reminders to plug them back in.

I'm well into reassembly, I'm down to the radio and the switches. I took picts I just wanted to check connections as working as I go.

Airbag is the only thing I'd worry about. That thing punches you in the face while you're down there working and it'll be game over.

Well I made sure everything was hooked up only thing was making sure I didn't get two of the switches crossed but they wound up right. Dropped the battery back in started right up and everything worked amazingly enough! Evacuated the system for an hour, shut down the pump, closed the valve's let it sit for another hour, held vacuum. 2 cans of R134A and I have cold air coming out! It was only 55 here when I filled it so may need a touch more 134, but it held overnight so works like it should.

Reactions: ColoJeep
Both are new. Maybe a defect in one. The resistor is the cheaper approach, I guess.

No need to guess, pull the switch and disconnect the connector from the blower speed switch. Turn the a/c mode switch to any position except off. Jump a wire from the dark blue wire with the white strip to the other 4 wires this will test the wiring and resistor.This is a diagram for a 06, if the colors are different need to know the year.
33CC6E91-DC5D-422F-9BF6-CE7B09B1AAD4.png

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Thanks! sure beats trying get at the resistor. Considering all the things that have happened with this, I appreciate something easy to test for a change. The AC is working (it was 68 here over the weekend) so if I can get the blower sorted out that’s one less problem. Defrost isn’t working but traced that found as I suspected the insert for the defrost power is broken off in the connector. Power on the inbound side none on the outbound. Hoping to find the insert but I will jump around as a last resort. one more nut on the plenum to attach (the one on the firewall behind the block) and heat and AC good to go.

Defrost isn’t working but traced that found as I suspected the insert for the defrost power is broken off in the connector. Power on the inbound side none on the outbound. Hoping to find the insert but I will jump around as a last resort.

I don’t understand this. Vacuum is supplied to the doors to change the vent settings. When there is no vacuum the system defaults to defrost.