Advice on replacing front pinion seal

brad

Ready to replace my front pinion seal. 2004 LJ stock axle. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Should I purchase a yoke puller from Advance Adapters?

Put front axle on jack stands. Remove front wheels, brake calipers and rotors. Hang calipers with wire, rope, bungees whatever you have. Remove front driveshaft. Check rolling torque of pinion. Four or five revolutions will get you an accurate number. Write that number down. Remove pinion yoke nut and yoke. Remove seal. Inspect yoke seal surface for wear. If okay install new seal, install yoke and nut. Use loctite on the nut if you’re not using a new one. Slowly tighten nut and periodically check rolling torque until you reach the number you wrote down earlier. Then reinstall driveshaft, rotors, calipers and wheels. Easy peasy.

I would leave it on the ground, pull the driveshaft, pull the yoke nut, pull yoke off by lightly tapping the back with a hammer, pry out seal, use a seal instaler (big socket) to replace it, put it back together, torque nut with a torque wrench, install driveshaft.

Reactions: JEG