advice on TPS

Ksteelrobinson

I have a 97 Wrangler with a check engine light on and running rough. Put it on OBD scanner and came back that it was the throttle position sensor. Bought a new one but it doesn't match up in order to plug it into the wire harness. Went to the dealer and they said that the part was discontinued and isn't made anymore, they suggested to cut the old, discontinued one off, buy the new harness, plug, etc and install that and and then use the replacement sensor that shows up when you look up the TPS for my year....this sounds weird to me. Does that mean everyone with a 97 whose TPS goes up has to do this?? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm also going to try the FB page again. Thanks.

See this:

http://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...rd=throttle+position+sensor&fromString=search

There are TWO TPS units available. One is for up to 07/1997 production dates, the other is for 08/1997 production dates and later.

That being said, figure out what your production date is, go down to AutoZone (my local store has BOTH of these units in stock), buy the right sensor for your production date, and you should be good to go.

Avoid the dealer in this case, I think they're giving you bad advice.

Thanks! Gave them the VIN # for my Jeep and the one they recommended is the same one I already bought from Auto Zone that doesn't match up to the plug that's there....it doesn't sound right that Jeep would discontinue something and make a replacement that won't even fit the old plug? That's why I wanted to check with you guys.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks! Gave them the VIN # for my Jeep and the one they recommended is the same one I already bought from Auto Zone that doesn't match up to the plug that's there....it doesn't sound right that Jeep would discontinue something and make a replacement that won't even fit the old plug? That's why I wanted to check with you guys.

That doesn't sound right to me either. What I would do is I was you is go to AutoZone and buy BOTH of those TPS sensors. Go in the parking lot, try them both and see if one fits. Then just return the one that doesn't fit. AutoZone will let you do that no problem, I've done it many times before.

I'd bet money that one of those will fit.

You can look at both and see they are different from the one that came off of mine...the pins are totally different. Thx though. Was thinking maybe someone had switched the motor or something before I got it and it didn't match the VIN but when the parts guy at the dealer started talking about the TPS being discontinued for the 97 it made more sense but not really.....smh.

You can look at both and see they are different from the one that came off of mine...the pins are totally different. Thx though. Was thinking maybe someone had switched the motor or something before I got it and it didn't match the VIN but when the parts guy at the dealer started talking about the TPS being discontinued for the 97 it made more sense but not really.....smh.

Is yours a 4.0 or is it a 4 cylinder?

Interesting. Well, the dealer may very well be correct here and you might need a new harness / sensor.

This is all news to me though as I never knew about this.

Make sure you are looking at the TPS, and not something else. Sounds kind of silly, but I did it when I changed mine out....(embarrassed):confused:

Ask for a TPS for a '95 Wrangler YL 2.5L engine, early '97 TJs got a lot of YJ parts like that. My 3/96 manufactured '97 TJ used '95 YJ sensors in a couple places. I had the same issue when I asked for a '97 TPS and it didn't fit.

Bring your old sensor in with you and make sure its connector matches up with what you buy and you'll be golden.

Last edited:
27a5e9e836eef66225c1b61dc6f0607f.jpg

Reactions: Chris and Stinger
replaced mine with a part from autozone no problem I have a 2004
Keep in mind that aftermarket sensors, especially when purchased from low-end stores like AutoZone, don' t have a good reputation for quality or longevity. Sensors are critical devices and personally, I always recommend sticking with Mopar whenever possible.

Years ago, I had to go to AutoZone three times in one day before I finally got an oil pressure sender that worked properly on my son's Grand Cherokee. If it hadn't been a Sunday, I would have never gone to AutoZone in the first place.