Advice or recommendations on sound system in 2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ

JEB-A-RONI

just a kid who's passionate about TJ's
Supporting Member
Hey guys! Quick backstory: I've owned my TJ for a little bit over a year, and have drove it around completely stock. When I bought the Jeep, nothing on it was upgraded at all. It was (and still is) running the factory head unit with a blown out subwoofer in the center console. I have made a few upgrades on the Jeep, but nothing in regards to the sound system. Anyways, I am finally going to buy all new speakers for the TJ and would like some advice and recommendations on which ones to get. I did buy a new head unit, however, it hasn't been installed yet. For reference, it is a Kenwood Excelon that I bought from Crutchfield. I can't remember the exact model. I've just been waiting to get new speakers before I install the head unit considering I don't really see the point in having a newer radio with junky speakers and amp.

I plan to purchase all parts from Crutchfield. The things I will be getting are:
-Roll bar speakers
-Corner dash speakers
-Subwoofer for center console
-Amp

My question is, what should I get? I was thinking about getting a Kicker subwoofer and amp, and then getting Polk Audio speakers but I don't really know. To be honest, I don't know a lot about speakers. I have no idea what channels and ohms are, I just want the sound quality to be good and I want to be able to play music with a lot of bass in it, considering you can't do that with a blown subwoofer.

Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Did you see my thread on this by chance?

Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I used that setup in my last TJ and it was absolutely amazing! Sure, you can come up with something even more expensive and better, but for what it ended up costing me, I'd say I got one hell of a sound system on a budget.
Okay, sounds awesome. I'll go check it out. How's the bass with the sound system? Would I be able to listen to rap with lots of bass in it?

Okay, sounds awesome. I'll go check it out. How's the bass with the sound system? Would I be able to listen to rap with lots of bass in it?

I don't listen to rap whatsoever. However, the bass is pretty damn impressive for the size of the sub. If you're looking for serious bass though, you'll probably want an enclosure to go in the trunk with 2 10" or 12" woofers.

I have a similar setup to what Chris recommends. Bass is solid, not gonna knock like 2 12's will, but it sounds clean. Plus it takes up no space at all if you have a stock sub in the console.

I don't listen to rap whatsoever. However, the bass is pretty damn impressive for the size of the sub. If you're looking for serious bass though, you'll probably want an enclosure to go in the trunk with 2 10" or 12" woofers.
Alright, I'll probably go with a sound system similar to yours because it sounds pretty good. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Chris
I have a similar setup to what Chris recommends. Bass is solid, not gonna knock like 2 12's will, but it sounds clean. Plus it takes up no space at all if you have a stock sub in the console.
Yeah, it sounds pretty good. Plus, I don't want to sacrifice any room in the back.

Go big or go home!
P1020971.JPG
P1020982.JPG
P1020985.JPG

JK. In all seriousness, I got tired of no storage space, so I ditched all that nonsense for a more stealthy system with a center console sub.

@JMT has a nice setup with a powered sub he put in the rear seat. Might be another option for you.

Reactions: JMT
New head unit
Rockford Fosgate PS-8
Polk DB’s in dash and sport bar
$450

Total stealth

RFosgate is mounted on underside of rear seat. 😊

3 years going 💪

Reactions: bobthetj03
Yes! I have a Kenwood Box in the back trunk area. It does work very good.

Reactions: Chris
Hey guys! Quick backstory: I've owned my TJ for a little bit over a year, and have drove it around completely stock. When I bought the Jeep, nothing on it was upgraded at all. It was (and still is) running the factory head unit with a blown out subwoofer in the center console. I have made a few upgrades on the Jeep, but nothing in regards to the sound system. Anyways, I am finally going to buy all new speakers for the TJ and would like some advice and recommendations on which ones to get. I did buy a new head unit, however, it hasn't been installed yet. For reference, it is a Kenwood Excelon that I bought from Crutchfield. I can't remember the exact model. I've just been waiting to get new speakers before I install the head unit considering I don't really see the point in having a newer radio with junky speakers and amp.

I plan to purchase all parts from Crutchfield. The things I will be getting are:
-Roll bar speakers
-Corner dash speakers
-Subwoofer for center console
-Amp

My question is, what should I get? I was thinking about getting a Kicker subwoofer and amp, and then getting Polk Audio speakers but I don't really know. To be honest, I don't know a lot about speakers. I have no idea what channels and ohms are, I just want the sound quality to be good and I want to be able to play music with a lot of bass in it, considering you can't do that with a blown subwoofer.

Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you are looking for a simple system that gives you bass, that can be accomplished but you need to set a budget and then back into what you need. You also need to determine if you want stealth, as you can get an 8" Kicker into the center console with minimal work, but cost and ability to trim some stuff come into play. The 6.75" is much cheaper to install.

Amplifier
Speakers
Subwoofers
Wires/misc

Budget first, then pick an audio plan, and then pick the equipment.

I will be having some audio equipment coming to the for sale section in the next few days, and depending on your budget I may have some good stuff.

Alright, I'll probably go with a sound system similar to yours because it sounds pretty good. Thanks for the help.

That would be Chris' old system.

How are you guys installing the head units so they are solid? There is nothing to secure the unit to. The stock support bar has to come out to fit the deeper unit and then you're left with an empty hole. The unit I have is a cheap one that needs to go already but I'd like to do it right this time around.

How are you guys installing the head units so they are solid? There is nothing to secure the unit to. The stock support bar has to come out to fit the deeper unit and then you're left with an empty hole. The unit I have is a cheap one that needs to go already but I'd like to do it right this time around.

What kind of head unit are you going for? For a single DIN check out Metra model number 99-6000.

If you do not think the free one from crutchfield will work, the go with one of those.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029X1O6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

• Fits most models of Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth through 2003 as well as select Jeep vehicles
  • Includes add-on corner support components that eliminate any flexing or rocking of the kit that has been experienced with other kits on the market
  • Special design accommodates DIN or DIN pullout and removable-face DIN radios
  • Comes with under-radio CD jewel case pocket
Jeep
Cherokee 1997-2001
Grand Cherokee 1993-1995
Grand Cherokee 1996-1998
Wrangler 1997-2002

What kind of head unit are you going for? For a single DIN check out Metra model number 99-6000.

If you do not think the free one from crutchfield will work, the go with one of those.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029X1O6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

• Fits most models of Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth through 2003 as well as select Jeep vehicles
  • Includes add-on corner support components that eliminate any flexing or rocking of the kit that has been experienced with other kits on the market
  • Special design accommodates DIN or DIN pullout and removable-face DIN radios
  • Comes with under-radio CD jewel case pocket
Jeep
Cherokee 1997-2001
Grand Cherokee 1993-1995
Grand Cherokee 1996-1998
Wrangler 1997-2002

Thanks for the reply. I'm still confused how that secures the head unit. I have an installation kit that looks very similar to the one you linked. When you slide the unit into the provided "hole" (for lack of a better description) nothing bolts the unit in. What stops the it from sliding forward? It just flops around until the face plate falls off.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still confused how that secures the head unit. I have an installation kit that looks very similar to the one you linked. When you slide the unit into the provided "hole" (for lack of a better description) nothing bolts the unit in. What stops the it from sliding forward? It just flops around until the face plate falls off.

The free one from Crutchfield, which is a Metra brand, provides enough support. The head unit weight like 2-3 lbs, so not much to support, and this Metra bracket attaches to the front of the head unit, which attaches then attaches to the Jeep, with a male peg on each side and four screws, two on each side.

My Jeep's audio happens to be apart right now so I snapped some pics. I have had an aftermarket head unit installed like this in my Jeep for a long time, 7-8 years, and multiple head units.

1590070986860.png
1590070997536.png

I guess I'm not describing the issue well enough. I have the same install kit. Looks almost identical. The only thing keeping the head unit in place is the tiny plastic surround on the front of the unit. I don't have my Jeep so can't take a pick but it's the plastic trim on the front. That tiny trim piece clips to the metal and is the only that thing that keeps it from falling back into the dash. If I hit a bump, or even just push a button too hard, that trim piece falls off and the whole unit falls into the dash.