AEV hood vs cut hood

Powdermonkey

SAPPER
Supporting Member
Ok guys, as I ponder buying this absolutely ridiculously priced AEV hood I have a question for those of you that have seen the two. Is the AEV that much better? To my understanding the only difference is the edge. I read where people put weather stripping along the edge but that needs changed yearly. Not sure how good that would look anyway. Can a body shop roll the cut edge?

Reactions: tomtaylz
Ok guys, as I ponder buying this absolutely ridiculously priced AEV hood I have a question for those of you that have seen the two. Is the AEV that much better? To my understanding the only difference is the edge. I read where people put weather stripping along the edge but that needs changed yearly. Not sure how good that would look anyway. Can a body shop roll the cut edge?
There are more issues than just rolling the edge. When the front is cut, it breaks the crossmember loose from the sides and you need to do something to stabilize it or it will move independently from the hood shell when you latch it down. The latches are also a bit problematic as when you redrill and relocate them higher, the surface on the inside isn't flat so the upper half moves from where you want it to be due to it tilting a bit funny when you tighten down the nuts on the studs.

Also along with the cut edge, there is also the loss of support along the edge due to the missing flange. If I were to have one rolled, I would instead have the original flange put back on to stiffen the side back up. Cutting the edge cleanly to have the same reveal is hard. The good news is if the gap is a bit big, just push in on the side of the hood and that will close it up.

Remember that the top portion of the AEV hood is also cosmetically different. It has a dome on it similar to the Hard Rock hoods on the JKs with the little vents.

That’s just aesthetic of course, but it’s worth pointing out.

Reactions: Powdermonkey
There are more issues than just rolling the edge. When the front is cut, it breaks the crossmember loose from the sides and you need to do something to stabilize it or it will move independently from the hood shell when you latch it down. The latches are also a bit problematic as when you redrill and relocate them higher, the surface on the inside isn't flat so the upper half moves from where you want it to be due to it tilting a bit funny when you tighten down the nuts on the studs.

Also along with the cut edge, there is also the loss of support along the edge due to the missing flange. If I were to have one rolled, I would instead have the original flange put back on to stiffen the side back up. Cutting the edge cleanly to have the same reveal is hard. The good news is if the gap is a bit big, just push in on the side of the hood and that will close it up.

@mrblaine thanks for the informative reply. Hopefully the one I found hangs around so I can look for a less expensive one.

Remember that the top portion of the AEV hood is also cosmetically different. It has a dome on it similar to the Hard Rock hoods on the JKs with the little vents.

That’s just aesthetic of course, but it’s worth pointing out.
I did not know that. I’m still trying to get an understanding of this system. I’m not in a hurry but I felt I needed to start looking knowing how hard they’re to find.

I did not know that. I’m still trying to get an understanding of this system. I’m not in a hurry but I felt I needed to start looking knowing how hard they’re to find.

The AEV parts are made from their own designs. They look like the factory hood and fender in terms of matching up nicely with the stock body, but AEV actually made their own molds (or however they do it with body panels) for their highline kits.

Many of us have tried to convince AEV to do a small run of some more AEV highline kits, but they absolutely refuse to.

Reactions: Moliver11
It seems that most people running the highline are also running 37s. I’m planning on staying with 35s. Will 35s look too small? Or I’m I correct in thinking that I would just run less lift?

The guy that has the hood has a AEV hood with Genright fenders on his Jeep. It looks really good but his Jeep is also BUILT. Unfortunately I have never seen either in person, only on the internet.

Reactions: JMT
It seems that most people running the highline are also running 37s. I’m planning on staying with 35s. Will 35s look too small? Or I’m I correct in thinking that I would just run less lift?

..t.
Many will run hi lines and 35s to get the suspension travel. A reason I don't have 35s is because i don't want to lose what I currently have with 33s and factory fenders.

The easy answer for me is highlines.

Many will run hi lines and 35s to get the suspension travel. A reason I don't have 35s is because i don't want to lose what I currently have with 33s and factory fenders.

The easy answer for me is highlines.
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I’m thinking correctly.

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I’m thinking correctly.
It's a numbers game. Modified fenders can help get the body out of the way. Some ways more effectively than others. Whether you want that added clearance to become more travel or less lift or a bigger tire is the reason you are doing this.

Reactions: JMT and psrivats
If you get the hood I would hold out for AEV hiline fenders/flares. There have been a bunch popping up for sale on AEV Forums. Just check the classifieds daily. You’d be surprised what ppl are unloading now that the JL is out and the Gladiator is actually happening. I would run the complete hiline kit if I were you.

https://www.duraflexbodykits.com/19...e-fenders-piece-duraflex-108805-p-548650.html
1548119946356.png

It's a numbers game. Modified fenders can help get the body out of the way. Some ways more effectively than others. Whether you want that added clearance to become more travel or less lift or a bigger tire is the reason you are doing this.
I looking at modifying the fenders for more up travel. I’m not sure if there’s a “sweet spot” or not but do know that the 35s on the factory body are limited. I need to figure this out before I have the shop move forward with outboarding and raising the front shocks brackets.
Is there a more effective way to go about this?

If you get the hood I would hold out for AEV hiline fenders/flares. There have been a bunch popping up for sale on AEV Forums. Just check the classifieds daily. You’d be surprised what ppl are unloading now that the JL is out and the Gladiator is actually happening. I would run the complete hiline kit if I were you.
Ultimately I think I would prefer to have all AEV. The guy that has the hood sold a set of fenders several months ago.

Reactions: Starrs
Ultimately I think I would prefer to have all AEV. The guy that has the hood sold a set of fenders several months ago.
Well the hood you will never lose money on. I saw one sold for 2k and the guy didn’t haggle a bit. The fenders/flares have been coming for sale every month or so I’ve noticed. You never find a hood for sale.

Reactions: Powdermonkey
Well the hood you will never lose money on. I saw one sold for 2k and the guy didn’t haggle a bit. The fenders/flares have been coming for sale every month or so I’ve noticed. You never find a hood for sale.
Any marking to make sure it’s legitimate? It’s a business so I can’t imagine any issues.
C0F2A49D-FD1A-4D0B-8075-75CA8D1AC453.png

Reactions: Starrs
AEV actually made their own molds (or however they do it with body panels) for their highline kits.
Actually, only a few pieces are custom, the hood and turn signal mounts. The fender is a pretty simple flat fold. The inner fender liner is the factory part plus a 3"? strip welded in to meet the higher fender top. And a wedge cut out for steering, articulation.

There are several threads on other forums from guys who did their own highline. Doing it right involves more than a sawzall. You need a hotrodders fabrication skills.

Reactions: Chris