AEV Pintler Refinish

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
A month or so ago, I picked up a set of JK Pintlers. I would have preferred Bridgers, but I'm not willing to pay that kind of money for a set of wheels. Anyway, I got these wheels cheap, as they had some wheeling rash on them. One of the wheels had a small, 3" crack along the outer lip. I paid 300 bucks for them including two 285/70R17 tires with about 13/32 tread. The tires are General Grabbers AT2's.

Anyway, I started working on them about a week ago, getting them ready to repaint. I don't have a lot of extra pictures from before, but here are a couple.

This is about the best of them.
9O3ZXKfJuA9ZV5giXgxhRRpt7MjhpqgTM-wlvpK3H46Ncv9vrRAnOgRUkm0POdcC6AJtg-43ADU1oPC5EKO=w474-h631-no.jpg

Here is the worst! I've already started to fill scratches and what not here. The missing area is what was cracked. I broke it out, and took it to my Uncle, who runs a Fab shop.
1eyRy7K0g3IaaIwzGy0uOyQ5wWyP92mlNv5hitJP12nsyLGL-ahmSYvuk1LvzMP1Vqq-DPUZ1LcwG2cB562=w842-h631-no.jpg

b304zUIhRARYu2i7uKaq9sczcWbF-fn8NPYt5gA7mQWnZwF4SptM9B7cHGOCDlSMoA17umFdigh7305gUEJ=w842-h631-no.jpg

After welding...
0SLOLNSz_dIzOVSM6YfU-W4zTdn_vNRPbuVrSDFVuR4VLZTHxGq6fgcY5zKZphjJMfTdoS5cHPAAQiwGvW=w1122-h631-no.jpg

Here are all the wheels, all sanded and major scratches filled. The outer lips still have some rash on them, but I filled the major gouges and rebuilt missing material with JB weld. The minor scratches were either sanded out or filled with Bondo putty (the stuff for pinholes that comes in a tube).
05vYkVu5MkGDzQyYV3pmyMnXWCPWmwUfT8o1RrL2OwIPKEs2py1GSLJhK5k7QWmGvyipmrW_guLFqHlyA4N=w355-h631-no.jpg

Interesting thing about these wheels (and most alloys, I assume) is that your NOT supposed to powdercoat them. Apparently, it ages the aluminum...so when they are produced new, they are given a powdercoat primer to fill in the minor casting defects, then paint is applied over that. The powdercoating process is actually part of the heat treatment process, so it doesn't age the wheels prematurely. The dark gray spots in my wheels are where the paint was thin and I sanded into the powdercoat. These are about ready to prime. I need to give them a REAL good cleaning.

As far as painting is concerned, I'm going to mix up some Argent paint, starting with Duplicolor's Paintshop line. Its a ready to spray Lacquer. I've had really good results with it in the past on a golf cart I build with my Dad. Picture of said cart, just because I'm as big of a picture whore as the next guy!
kJXY6_ejW-Yw8q8vYcQcaWEXduthrjgY4gc3Lng7V0jFPeBdubYM5ovzv_3VjJ97RCnZ_AlbOfyAGeUM9Y=w1122-h631-no.jpg

I'm starting with their metallic silver and I'll buy some black model paint. Thanks to @techster82 who clued me into the paint code for the Argent color (Chrysler's Mineral Gray PDM). I'll pick up some touch up paint and mix up some batches with different amounts of silver and black. I should be able to get it pretty close.

Worked out in the barn for a little bit tonite. I bought a touch up pen of Mineral Gray and painted about a 1 x 1 square on a scrap piece of sheet metal. Then I mixed black and metallic silver together in various ratios until I got something close. Its MUCH more black than I expected. The color match I'm going to use is 2 parts black to 1 part silver. Here is my sample board.

j1Dq5Wy9eI7boHwGvmvQ_VbVqNi1ss2PG-CNIe46MuTSC2XBByjVSR_2cqbIJ77p5aSQs3JtjjjZPG6wH4=w1122-h631-no.jpg

Note: Duplicolors Wheel coating aerosol in Graphite is also a VERY close match to the Mineral Gray. Here is the sample board against my old Wheels.

MCDzuV0MtXnZgch4LGBO4mU_w-M1lXCYVrcQYstHJN9CI2hYb-jBNA5Ueu25YEzQnpjwgW2UFOU-JiCQNN=w1122-h631-no.jpg

Also, Since this is for primed wheels, a picture of the Repaired wheel, with Self etching primer on the bare Al.

pd2JYyfy3goRZxKyWljqaeUCdanRbzUjOu76wSEzo-AiXHqvN0V58kOwchmYZal-2s4-KbKGJYVNIow1aH=w1122-h631-no.jpg

Wheels are in Primer. I used a Harbor Freight HVLP with the 1.4mm tip. Worked pretty well for the price (about 20 bucks)
Q_5-0S0qBIA_933j9P6NbynSomiWxzDXNMM5ONSYualJq21F_3_d27-rqfHf34E3AOmXou6iIpbXLpT5XQh=w332-h589-no.jpg

_yGBjR75nJS__ClpVlWuzbZjV_RaRzdLADofjaaXMDNhM6uBtXO5_gyeH_rEKEel0ZIcFG70uLNcnjdHY6=w1113-h626-no.jpg

Got a little bit of Orange Peel, but not too bad. Going to sand with 1000 grit before color.

GYT6W98JwFojy2fvnhyDCoZRVJDCaFcvoUMJggl0ZjILkLTG6IqB7JVXa5qOR5vZGWAj9x3rplDjndGQfm=w1113-h626-no.jpg

Last edited:
Painted wheels. To get a close color match (to my eye, anyway) I bought a quart each of Duplicolor's Paint Shop line of sprayable lacquer. I used Jet Black (BSP 200) and Brilliant Silver (BSP 202). I mixed 16 oz of Black to 8 Oz of Brilliant Silver (2:1 ratio). Again, poured it through a strainer, into my Harbor Freight HVLP. Pressure was at 30 PSI, 1.4 MM tip size, and adjust flow to suit. Metallics are tough to get "right." I'm sure I didn't... When you spray a metallic color, you need to keep the gun position very consistent so the metal flakes lay down evenly. Its VERY tough to spray wheels and keep a consistent gun position, due to their shape and different areas to paint. I also lack of a way to rotate them. I need to rotate around the wheel...so my paint will not be as good as a pro job.

Anyway, here are a few pictures. These have been drying about 10 minutes at this point. Need to wait an hour before clear.
FksBdRJ0I_z5tyY7Aw226G-mdIS5ShmU5EtZ49M6TubH-RMCN4X3am7ggKXLaTbpDzV_gMBzOPUw-EHJmBy=w353-h626-no.jpg

I1PtfLn32nzhWwSiyYm6kAYCsxGYkS_Lel1V_sH1TygmhGTmS2o7C2e0b0-GWWMdNYFNbv_a-u46grSkaF=w1113-h626-no.jpg

After the paint dried for a couple hours, I hit them with some clear...

20180922_183737.jpg

20180922_183746.jpg

20180922_183758.jpg

20180922_183844.jpg

pAmM0TLiCM2GGcmEzXI4-8U-UsVy_rd8g-37MltlYWnIuMkxTiymaYl0y7OdHDOTapp8aK34lymJ1Ea5O_=w1113-h626-no.jpg

ST-7UCLDWXqmuQg3_-42NsICOrWQBpbjddxfFu3besspz4DNn7Y5n9onjsHJj6Dt4wxrrAerIcU0stuAbr=w1113-h626-no.jpg

Last edited:
I love projects like this. Anxious to see the end result and also how the color looks. You got this brother!

Reactions: Mike_H
@techster82 nice jeep!. Ever consider a build thread or members thread?
Nice front bumper too

I have a build thread but nobody really looks at it. They’re too busy looking at all the stuff @Chris is buying.

Appreciate the compliment. It’s still a slight work in progress but most of the major stuff is done at this point.

A month or so ago, I picked up a set of JK Pintlers. I would have preferred Bridgers, but I'm not willing to pay that kind of money for a set of wheels. Anyway, I got these wheels cheap, as they had some wheeling rash on them. One of the wheels had a small, 3" crack along the outer lip. I paid 300 bucks for them including two 285/70R17 tires with about 13/32 tread. The tires are General Grabbers AT2's.

Anyway, I started working on them about a week ago, getting them ready to repaint. I don't have a lot of extra pictures from before, but here are a couple.

This is about the best of them.
View attachment 55070

Here is the worst! I've already started to fill scratches and what not here. The missing area is what was cracked. I broke it out, and took it to my Uncle, who runs a Fab shop.
View attachment 55071

View attachment 55072

After welding...
View attachment 55073

Here are all the wheels, all sanded and major scratches filled. The outer lips still have some rash on them, but I filled the major gouges and rebuilt missing material with JB weld. The minor scratches were either sanded out or filled with Bondo putty (the stuff for pinholes that comes in a tube).
View attachment 55074

Interesting thing about these wheels (and most alloys, I assume) is that your NOT supposed to powdercoat them. Apparently, it ages the aluminum...so when they are produced new, they are given a powdercoat primer to fill in the minor casting defects, then paint is applied over that. The powdercoating process is actually part of the heat treatment process, so it doesn't age the wheels prematurely. The dark gray spots in my wheels are where the paint was thin and I sanded into the powdercoat. These are about ready to prime. I need to give them a REAL good cleaning.

As far as painting is concerned, I'm going to mix up some Argent paint, starting with Duplicolor's Paintshop line. Its a ready to spray Lacquer. I've had really good results with it in the past on a golf cart I build with my Dad. Picture of said cart, just because I'm as big of a picture whore as the next guy!
View attachment 55075

I'm starting with their metallic silver and I'll buy some black model paint. Thanks to @techster82 who clued me into the paint code for the Argent color (Chrysler's Mineral Gray PDM). I'll pick up some touch up paint and mix up some batches with different amounts of silver and black. I should be able to get it pretty close.
Talk about attention to detail. You’re the man!

Reactions: Mike_H and KCsTJ
Can’t go wrong with a 300 dollar investment. With fresh paint they will look brand new. You saved a ton, but had some labor time in these. Seems to be worth it to me. Way cheaper than Bridgers that’s for damn sure!

Can’t go wrong with a 300 dollar investment. With fresh paint they will look brand new. You saved a ton, but had some labor time in these. Seems to be worth it to me. Way cheaper than Bridgers that’s for damn sure!
Yeah, at 235 a piece for new, I have some room for my labor! I have about 60 bucks in paint and probably 20 hours total in labor to fully restore them. If my uncle wasn't such a great guy, I'd have paid about 100 bucks to fix the one wheel too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starrs
Personally, I like the Pintlers more, so I think you made the right choice. Hard to tell from the pics, but looks like that color might have a hint of blue in it.

If I find some pintlers or Bridgers I’ll have them shipped to you, check in the mail, you paint, ship to me...:)

Your buddy would do a much better job, I promise...and without the hassle of shipping!
Well, yes, there is my friend Joe!

My post was just a way of giving you a well deserved compliment. ;)