Affects of a Body Lift

Calvin.8

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My Savvy 1.25in BL came in yesterday and I'm planning on installing it today. Just wanted to ask before I start is what all does a BL affect? I know it can sometimes people can't shift to 4 low, but other than that I'm not 100% sure what all it affects. Such as the steering column?

The fan might hit the fan shroud. I installed a 1” motor lift at the same time as the 1.25” body lift.

Reactions: BlackSheep
You also need to make sure to disconnect the gas tank filler hose/neck from the body. There are four screws on the filler bezel, just undo them and then reattach after the BL is installed.

My body lift caused me to not be able to engage 4 low, even after adjusting the stock linkage. I may be completely wrong, but I think with a 1" BL, there is enough adjustment in the stock linkage to not cause any problems. The extra .25" on the Savvy may (or may not) make the small difference, as I was able to get the shifter almost into 4 low, but it would pop out.

The easy solution is a Savvy cable shifter.

You also need to make sure to disconnect the gas tank filler hose/neck from the body. There are four screws on the filler bezel, just undo them and then reattach after the BL is installed.

My body lift caused me to not be able to engage 4 low, even after adjusting the stock linkage. I may be completely wrong, but I think with a 1" BL, there is enough adjustment in the stock linkage to not cause any problems. The extra .25" on the Savvy may (or may not) make the small difference, as I was able to get the shifter almost into 4 low, but it would pop out.

The easy solution is a Savvy cable shifter.
So do I have to completely take out the hose and all that or just take the screws out so its loose?

So do I have to completely take out the hose and all that or just take the screws out so its loose?
Just loosen the filler neck screws.

What transmission do you have? Body lifts will interfere with the manuals by raising the center console.

Reactions: Calvin.8
Just loosen the filler neck screws.

What transmission do you have? Body lifts will interfere with the manuals by raising the center console.
I cant think of think of the name of it right now. It's a 2002 Wrangler Sport Manual. So it has the 4.0l

I cant think of think of the name of it right now. It's a 2002 Wrangler Sport Manual. So it has the 4.0l
Buy a leather shift boot. You may need to move the center console back.

On mine, the t-case shifter worked fine after adjusting the linkage. But I also put in a motor mount lift at the same time.

Pay attention to the body bolts while you remove them. If you get any resistance, tighten them back in to help clear the rust from the threads. Work them out slowly.

Buy a leather shift boot. You may need to move the center console back.

On mine, the t-case shifter worked fine after adjusting the linkage. But I also put in a motor mount lift at the same time.

Pay attention to the body bolts while you remove them. If you get any resistance, tighten them back in to help clear the rust from the threads. Work them out slowly.
Will I be able to get by with just the shift linkage bracket for now? Not long term though

Reactions: Hotrodbud
Will I be able to get by with just the shift linkage bracket for now? Not long term though
Adjusting the linkage is easier than installing the drop bracket. Start there. Go further if needed. You'll be adjusting the linkage no matter what you do.

I never used the drop bracket and the linkage worked fine for years before I eventually added a cable shifter.

Also, JKS has excellent instructions for their body lift which I followed to install my savvy. Maybe JKS has instructions online

Reactions: jjvw
Adjusting the linkage is easier than installing the drop bracket. Start there. Go further if needed. You'll be adjusting the linkage no matter what you do.

I never used the drop bracket and the linkage worked fine for years before I eventually added a cable shifter.
Just to make sure I'm talking about the same thing, is this the drop bracket that worked fine...
20190112_113949.jpg

Loosen all body mount bolts, but only remove one side at a time so everything lines up easily. I didn't have to do anything to my gas filler hose on my 04. JKS 1.25"bl. I did install a JKS 1" motor mount lift at the same time. Mine is a auto, no trans shifter modifications needed. I did have to adjust TC linkage. Still never shifted right until I installed a TC shifter modification that eliminated the engine to tub marriage. I went with the AA bracket before the cable shifters came out. I would go with a cable shifter and be done with it, so future modifications will not mess with your TC linkage alignment.

So I have one side in right now. And I have the 11 regular spacers, but they gave me 2 spacers i have no idea where they go.
The one on the right is the unknown, the left one is the regular spacer (the unknown is threaded by the way) 20190112_133038.jpg

Last edited:
I can't recall where those 2 go, and I don't have my 06 tj here to look at, I want to say they go towards the rear....sorry.

When I did my 1 inch body lift, I used the drop bracket, used the radiator shroud drop brackets, and left it at that. No MML. I did notice that the steering shaft did protrude up into the rubber seal at the firewall a touch, but nothing major. Everything is solid ahs been working fine. It took a while to figure out where those 2 extra pucks went. They are not extra universal parts......well on mine anyway. also can't remember the brand of lift. It was the company that Genright recommends for the Extended range fuel tank they build.

Maybe look that up and hopefully there will be online instructions that show where those two extra pucks go...
Ray

So I have one side in right now. And I have the 11 regular spacers, but they gave me 2 spacers i have no idea where they go.
The one on the right is the unknown, the left one is the regular spacer (the unknown is threaded by the way) View attachment 71987

Pretty sure those go under the grill, right? They're meant to space out the rubber grill snubbers. The 11 regular pucks are for the 11 body mounts.

Here is my TJ with a Savvy BL. You can see those two spacers on either side of the grill.

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 3.46.24 PM.png

IMG_0362.jpeg

Pretty sure those go under the grill, right? They're meant to space out the rubber grill snubbers. The 11 regular pucks are for the 11 body mounts.

Here is my TJ with a Savvy BL. You can see those two spacers on either side of the grill.

View attachment 71993

View attachment 71994
Thank you, I was all ass-backwards. My extra 2 were for the grill, not the rear area.
Ray