Affordable battery lug crimper

You'd be smarter if you didn't.

Just to take that further...
Electrical connections need to be physically secure without the use of soldering.
Soldering is done to provide an electrically sound connection.

Soldering without crimping (or a good twist / linemans splice / western union splice) is not a good physical connection.

Crimping or twisting without soldering is not a good electrical connection.

Needs both. Finished with weatherproof heat shrink tube.

Electrical connections need to be physically secure without the use of soldering.

Soldering without crimping (or a good twist / linemans splice / western union splice) is not a good physical connection.

Wire connections typically don't have much in the way of problems when you solder them provided you understand and know how to do so properly.

Cable on the other hand, requires a lot of heat to tin the conductor and then to get that to properly flow into the lug and bond the connector to the lug. With that much heat, two bad things happen. The solder wicks down the cable and creates a stress riser at the spot where it stops that vibration can affect and break the conductor strands. The second thing is the heat degrades the insulation to a point where it has to be repaired. Not a big deal to do but that should be an indicator that something is being done that shouldn't be.

Any idea what the difference is between the 50B and the 50BI?

in the questions section:
Actually the HX-50B and HX-50BI are totally same now in imperial jaw size on cable lugs. We firstly try to distinguish the metric and imperial size between HX-50B and HX-50BI, now they are totally same.

Reactions: twistedlv

Reckon I’ve been lucky for 60 years. So far never had a problem, Jeeps, heavy equipment, race cars, and radio batteries

Reckon I’ve been lucky for 60 years. So far never had a problem, Jeeps, heavy equipment, race cars, and radio batteries
I've seen a rig driven from Oregon to SoCal with the jam nut loose on the front track bar. They didn't die. Could have but didn't. Just because they and others have gotten away with something we all know is wrong doesn't make the use of a jam nut properly tightened any less correct. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: K0LCB
Magna-lugs crimped with a proper tool on the proper setting, and DW heat-shrink are the only thing we would stand behind at the shop I worked at. No solder! The pressure exerted on the wire strands with the heavy-walled terminals is extremely high and eliminates any voids. We would never use those flimsy bell-mouth terminals.

As testament to what has been said above about not soldering harness connectors, take a look at any automotive, aircraft, military, NASA, etc. wiring harness and try to find any soldered connections. Circuit boards get soldered, wiring harness connectors don't.

As testament to what has been said above about not soldering harness connectors, take a look at any automotive, aircraft, military, NASA, etc. wiring harness and try to find any soldered connections. Circuit boards get soldered, wiring harness connectors don't.
On the TJ harnesses, there are about 2 maybe 3 soldered connections in the main harness. They bring several grounds together, solder them, and then seal the connection with adhesive lined heat shrink that is clear so you can see the placement on the joint. That is the only spot I know of that is soldered. It is also one of the main trouble spots folks know to look for when they start having intermittent sensor issues that are not on the signal side.

I will admit, up until very recently I would have been soldering harnesses as well for any sort of wiring. However, after Blaine brought it to my attention a while back that this wasn't a good thing, I have stopped doing that completely and started using crimping tools instead.

I guess you really do learn something new every day. I seriously would have thought a soldered connection was a better connection, but clearly that's seldom the case.