Affordable battery lug crimper

I will admit, up until very recently I would have been soldering harnesses as well for any sort of wiring. However, after Blaine brought it to my attention a while back that this wasn't a good thing, I have stopped doing that completely and started using crimping tools instead.

I guess you really do learn something new every day. I seriously would have thought a soldered connection was a better connection, but clearly that's seldom the case.
Many moons ago when I was messing with high end stereo, I did a ton of research on what constitutes a good connection and came across signal transmission tests done by a company that used a high end long grain oxygen free silver conductor to build stereo speaker wire. The tests showed that the best possible connection was a good connector of the proper size and wall thickness crimped to form a void free mechanical connection to the conductor.
That started me on the road to research why and when to solder and then a bit of critical thought allowed me to examine all or mostly all the connections done on the OEM side of things whether it was autos, offroad vehicles, trucks, fire trucks, etc. and discover that soldered connections are rarely used. Given that warranty has to be provided for tolerable lengths of time, one has to wonder why they would do it that way if it weren't better.

So that leads me to to this question: When have you found is an acceptable time and use for soldering a connection?
You always ask questions with obvious answers.

solder terminal switch.PNG

That and lots of cable connectors for radio use have solder only jacks and sockets. Any place that high density connectors are needed that a readily available crimp connector is scarce.

Reactions: Chris