Affordable communication options on the trail

Josh Harder

Im looking for an affordable way to communicate on the trails
-I primarily ride with 1 or 2 others as the offroad scene in northern alberta isn't very hot
- i ocasonally drive active logging roads
cb radios are handy when driving logging roads but for local trails I'm thinking a handheld walkie would do.

what are people running on here?

Handheld CBs are great because they can be used as walkie talkies and as CB radios. So you can communicate handheld to handheld or handheld to car or car to car all on the same channel.

They don't quite have the same range as a base or vehicle CB setup, but you can often get a couple miles out of them

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/handheld-cb-radios

Reactions: Alex01 and DrDmoney
I have a CB and a ham radio in my jett Er p and even two small handhelds for when I run with someone who has no other way I just give them the small handheld

Since you frequent logging areas, and since logging trucks routinely use CB and post the active channel for the area being worked, it appears that CB would be the clear choice for you.

Imagine how nerve wracking it would be to encounter an oncoming fully loaded logging truck being driven by a guy in a hurry because he is being paid by the delivery and then have to back down a rough graded single track road around several blind turns to a spot wide enough to get out of his way. Then imagine the names you will call yourself when you realize that it could all have been avoided had you been paying attention to the CB.

BTDT. :(

A CB radio capable of dual channel monitoring will let you communicate with your buddies on one channel and listen to the logging trucks and heavy equipment on the other. Even without automatic dual channel monitoring, being able to hear the CB logging channel is a very good idea.

You will thank me later. ;)

P.S. - I run a Uniden Pro520XL CB, Kenwood TM-281a 2 meter ham, and carry a cheap Baofeng UV-5RA as a backup. (The Baofeng is capable of Tx/Rx on 2m and 70cm ham, FRS and GMRS, although not legally per US FCC regulations.)

Reactions: Apparition
You can get a small fixed mount CB like a Uniden Pro-520xl for $40 or so plus $30 or so for the antenna and mount. I'm all about radio 'stuff' and have been involved with ham/military/commercial 2-way radios since the 60's. Hand-held "walkie-talky" radios seem like the thing to get for a Jeep but once you have them for a while, you'll figure out that they're a PITA for use inside the Jeep due to the need for them to be connected to the Jeep for power and to an outside antenna. I'd only suggest a hand-held as a second radio. Not to mention the range on walkie-talkies is poor due to the small antennas they come with.

Installing a fixed-mount CB is not difficult and once you're done, you're set from then on. There's a little to do like tuning the antenna but even that's not hard and there are lots of us here and on the web that can talk you through the not-difficult process.

Reactions: Ephry73
If you want affordable. This is it. And someone above mentioned these are 5w and can run on FRS and GMRS. Not legally. But there are several reasons that these are the best low cost choice. Many many people run these. And they are very cheap. I have a 2w(?) set of GMRS radios. I wish I would have bought these 5w instead. I will eventually.

This is their official site. I wouldn't buy from anyplace else. There are alot of knockoffs of these radios.

Just get their standard handheld. It will do way more than what your asking for. And you can buy tons of accessories for them.

https://www.baofengradio.com/?fbclid=IwAR0YhrshCVlyMFxevgmJnqPIvw1ww4QVaadKe94QTsJ1-cHUMuoEwmxlB4Y

If you want affordable. This is it. And someone above mentioned these are 5w and can run on FRS and GMRS. Not legally. But there are several reasons that these are the best low cost choice. Many many people run these. And they are very cheap. I have a 2w(?) set of GMRS radios. I wish I would have bought these 5w instead. I will eventually.

This is their official site. I wouldn't buy from anyplace else. There are alot of knockoffs of these radios.

Just get their standard handheld. It will do way more than what your asking for. And you can buy tons of accessories for them.

https://www.baofengradio.com/?fbclid=IwAR0YhrshCVlyMFxevgmJnqPIvw1ww4QVaadKe94QTsJ1-cHUMuoEwmxlB4Y
They do a lot but they can't communicate with the CBs used by the vast majority of offroaders. They're fine as a 2nd or 3rd radio but I'll always recommend installing a CB as the first radio.

I have both a CB and a 2m ham radio but I'd give up the VHF ham radio before I'd give up the CB.

CB is BY FAR the most popular and common method for talking on the trail. It's extremely rare to see FRS or GMRS except in small isolated groups who choose to go their own way and don't care if they can't talk with everyone else not in their group/club.

They do a lot but they can't communicate with the CBs used by the vast majority of offroaders. They're fine as a 2nd or 3rd radio but I'll always recommend installing a CB as the first radio.

I have both a CB and a 2m ham radio but I'd give up the VHF ham radio before I'd give up the CB.

CB is BY FAR the most popular and common method for talking on the trail. It's extremely rare to see FRS or GMRS except in small isolated groups who choose to go their own way and don't care if they can't talk with everyone else not in their group/club.

I'm of the latter group. lol.

If you want affordable. This is it. And someone above mentioned these are 5w and can run on FRS and GMRS. Not legally. . . .

@Josh Harder is in Alberta.

The Canadian version of the UV5R is here:

https://baofengradio.ca/

However, note the following from the Canadian Baofeng webpage:

As you may notice, we have UV5R and UV82 back in stock. But before you make any purchases, make sure you read the product detail page carefully, since the UV5R and UV82 we have in stock right now is different from the original one.

The main difference is the frequency range, before the frequency range for UV5R and UV82 is VHF 136 -174 MHz, UHF 400 - 520 MHz, Now, in order to make them legally in Canada, we need to restrict their frequency to HAM radio band which is VHF 144 - 148 MHz, UHF 430 - 450 MHz.

Therefore, please make sure these "New" UV5R and UV82 will meet your requirement before place an order.

In 2019, the FCC in the U.S. and I.C. in Canada put a stop to the importation of Baofeng and other brand radios capable of transmitting on both ham and non-ham frequencies.

The FRS/GMRS frequency band is 462 - 467 MHz. The new "legal" Baofeng UV-5r radios no longer transmit on those frequencies, making them less useful as an "all frequencies in one" alternative.

There are still some of the non-compliant UV5R and UV82 radios with FRS/GMRS capability on the market, but they are getting harder to find and what is available appears to be "grey market." One needs to read the specifications carefully to know which is being sold. [As of 3/1/20 the U.S. outlet linked by @moab still lists specifications showing FRS/GMRS capability, but who knows how long that will last.]

Request: Please obtain the appropriate ham license before transmitting on a ham-capable Baofeng or please don't purchase one. Bootleg unlicensed operators on the ham frequencies will ruin those frequencies for everyone. It will only take a few hours of your time to prepare for and pass the test and it only costs a few dollars.

Last edited: