Aftermarket Exhaust Options

JonathanP24

Thinking about changing my stock exhaust. I realize the 4.0 isn't a great sounding engine, but are there any cheap aftermarket exhaust option to make it sound a little better? Nothing too loud, just maybe a better tone and slightly louder. I've looked into the Flowmaster FX muffler which is cheap, but apparently has some drone. Also considering the Dynomax super turbo. Just something cat-back, or even just the muffler. I also saw where deleting the 3rd cat might change some? Just not sure what the best way to go is.

I've had a lot of different exhausts on 4.0L powered Jeeps over the years. Usually there is a compromise. It is very difficult to get a system that sounds good, but also doesn't drone. I had the Super-Turbo, and while it sounds good at first, it tends to drone and get annoying the longer it is on there because the packing inside wears out. Flowmasters and Magnaflows are typically loud unless you get the really large mufflers. I recently heard a Flowmaster Super 50 series on a 4.0 XJ that I thought sounded decent. Probably the quietest flowmaster I've heard on a Jeep. Still had a decent sound, but fairly quiet compared to most aftermarket exhausts. Part # 52557. Otherwise a Walker Quietflow ss seems to be the closest to a stock replacement.

Deleting the 3rd cat in my experience just makes the exhaust more raspy sounding.

My buddy has the Thrush Welded on his XJ. Sounds like a loud mail truck and I can hear him when he is a mile away.

I had it on my XJ too. The guy who bought it (for his son), wanted it changed to something quieter. I put a Walker SoundFX muffler on it because it was cheap. When they came to take it home, his son asked me if I still had the old muffler to give him. He liked it louder. :unsure:

From personal experience with the Banks catback system, all I can say is that it is pretty loud. (I like or used to like loud vehicles) It does have a bit of drone at highway speeds as well. I will probably be looking at something else myself or at least throw in an inline silencer.

I think I'm going to go with a MagnaFlow Glass pack, the more I've thought about it I'm not going to mind the extra noise too much. It's also cheap with what seems like a pretty easy install. Might also delete the 3rd cat if I want a more raspy Thank y'all for the insight though!

I literary just installed this last night. No drone at all, not loud, and has a nice little "rumble" when accelerating ('00 4.0). You can also get a 10% coupon by clicking the promo tab at the bottom of the window. It was $253.29 to my door and got to me in one day. Straight forward and easy install. You'll want to cut the exhaust pipe after the muffler to make the stock one easier to remove. Might as well replace your exhaust hangers while you're down there. You can hear a clip of it on extreme terrain website.

https://mbrpexhauststore.com/s5500al-mbrp-cat-back-single-wrangler-tj-00-06-alum/

I literary just installed this last night. No drone at all, not loud, and has a nice little "rumble" when accelerating ('00 4.0). You can also get a 10% coupon by clicking the promo tab at the bottom of the window. It was $253.29 to my door and got to me in one day. Straight forward and easy install. You'll want to cut the exhaust pipe after the muffler to make the stock one easier to remove. Might as well replace your exhaust hangers while you're down there. You can hear a clip of it on extreme terrain website.

https://mbrpexhauststore.com/s5500al-mbrp-cat-back-single-wrangler-tj-00-06-alum/

Sounds great! Not sure if I'm doing the entire cat back or just the muffler. Either way I'm sure the sound will be similar enough.

I think I'm going to go with a MagnaFlow Glass pack, the more I've thought about it I'm not going to mind the extra noise too much. It's also cheap with what seems like a pretty easy install. Might also delete the 3rd cat if I want a more raspy Thank y'all for the insight though!

Staying with my logic that longer muffler a less likely to drone , thrush has a 31” long glasspack…could that reach from in front of the cat to rear tail pipe…🤔