Aftermarket radiators: What's good and what's trash?

e82e1a94b9ac9e4894369add727151a3.jpg

Now normally doing a radiator swap is no biggie right? Couple bolts here, couple bolts there, in and out new fluid and presto! Problem solved. Well the trouble come when this is your third radiator in 3/4 of a years time it becomes frustrating dealing with. I'm using advance auto parts radiators and my issue with them seems to really love around their tank sealing skills. They way they are stamped they don't last maybe 3 months at the most (unfortunetly, oem radiator crapped out in town. They had the only one in stock so I was stuck with advance) but since they've recently merged with car quest I've received a car quest radiator this time so hopefully I have better luck. Normally I would go and buy one from somewhere else and flip advance the middle finger for all the trouble their "quality parts" are giving me but these radiators seem to know when I'm advanced my weakest and throw the tank seals when I'm broke and have to rely on their warranty replacements -_- So my questions to everyone is what aftermarket radiators are you running? What works? What doesnt? And what would you recommend should I keep having these problems?

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

My question to you (and I say this with no disrespect of course) is why are you running an aftermarket radiator? A factory Mopar radiator will last at least a decade, not have any of the issues you mentioned and be more than adequate for cooling your TJ (unless you're doing something crazy I don't know about).

Honest to goodness, the BEST radiator for these things is the factory radiator. Ask an expert like @mrblaine, I'm sure he will back that up.

The factory radiator is more than up to the task and it won't fail prematurely like many of these aftermarket radiators.

My question to you (and I say this with no disrespect of course) is why are you running an aftermarket radiator? A factory Mopar radiator will last at least a decade, not have any of the issues you mentioned and be more than adequate for cooling your TJ (unless you're doing something crazy I don't know about).
Good point you bring up. Going to the Dodge place would be a good idea but my jeep is all I have and I had to swap the radiator out in my free time at work otherwise I was using lefty and right to hoof it home. Advance was my only choice since they were the only ones in town that had one in stock. Like I said I didn't have much of a choice at the time. That's usually how my luck is haha.

Reactions: Chris
Good point you bring up. Going to the Dodge place would be a good idea but my jeep is all I have and I had to swap the radiator out in my free time at work otherwise I was using lefty and right to hoof it home. Advance was my only choice since they were the only ones in town that had one in stock. Like I said I didn't have much of a choice at the time. That's usually how my luck is haha.

If you end up wanting an OE radiator get it from www.wermopar.com. Hands down the cheapest prices on factory OE parts for sure.

There's a lot of aftermarket radiator companies out there (i.e. Mishimoto) that in my opinion are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist (cooling the 4.0 engine). I see the benefit of some of these radiators if you're running a V8 swap (or something other than the 4.0), but with the factory 4.0 engine the OE Mopar radiator will be more than enough for any off-roader, no doubt about it.

Not to mention that the factory radiators will usually last most of us around a decade or so, whereas these Chinese knockoff radiators usually fail much sooner. It's unfortunate, but true.

If you end up wanting an OE radiator get it from www.wermopar.com. Hands down the cheapest prices on factory OE parts for sure.

There's a lot of aftermarket radiator companies out there (i.e. Mishimoto) that in my opinion are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist (cooling the 4.0 engine). I see the benefit of some of these radiators if you're running a V8 swap (or something other than the 4.0), but with the factory 4.0 engine the OE Mopar radiator will be more than enough for any off-roader, no doubt about it.

Not to mention that the factory radiators will usually last most of us around a decade or so, whereas these Chinese knockoff radiators usually fail much sooner. It's unfortunate, but true.
Wow your right. 200 ain't bad at all for a Mopar radiator. Dealerships would laugh you out of the building if you tired getting one for that much. If this one give me trouble that'll be my next step. Warranty replacements are nice but it's not worth the hassle of replacing every 3 months or so.

Wow your right. 200 ain't bad at all for a Mopar radiator. Dealerships would laugh you out of the building if you tired getting one for that much. If this one give me trouble that'll be my next step. Warranty replacements are nice but it's not worth the hassle of replacing every 3 months or so.

Yep, this is the trouble with all these places like AutoZone. Sure, they have lifetime warranties on parts, but how many times do you really want to use that warranty and replace something?

$200 isn't bad at all if you can get around 10 years out of it. I would say that's a damn good deal!

Crap, my factory radiator has 11 years on it and it's still doing great!

Yep, this is the trouble with all these places like AutoZone. Sure, they have lifetime warranties on parts, but how many times do you really want to use that warranty and replace something?

$200 isn't bad at all if you can get around 10 years out of it. I would say that's a damn good deal!

Crap, my factory radiator has 11 years on it and it's still doing great!
Agreed that's a good investment for sure. Eventually they'll look at you and tell you that there's something wrong with your vehicle and that they can't keep warranting them. They done that to my dad on a set of hubs for his 98 ram. But I'll have no trouble kicking this radiator to the curb and ditching advance for good is this new one causes me any trouble at all. I'm sure the axe in my backyard would "clear out" any obstructions in the flumes. And I'm sure the sledgehammer would provide a good "impact resistance test" as well. That's about how done I am with parts stores lol.

Agreed that's a good investment for sure. Eventually they'll look at you and tell you that there's something wrong with your vehicle and that they can't keep warranting them. They done that to my dad on a set of hubs for his 98 ram. But I'll have no trouble kicking this radiator to the curb and ditching advance for good is this new one causes me any trouble at all. I'm sure the axe in my backyard would "clear out" any obstructions in the flumes. And I'm sure the sledgehammer would provide a good "impact resistance test" as well. That's about how done I am with parts stores lol.

Yep, I hear you. I stay away from part stores unless I need something that very moment and have no other option. I can't imagine having to keep replacing hubs over and over just because they keep failing. That's why those lifetime warranties are kind of a scam... I mean sure, you get a new part, but if it's something hard to replace, that sure sucks!

Yep, I hear you. I stay away from part stores unless I need something that very moment and have no other option. I can't imagine having to keep replacing hubs over and over just because they keep failing. That's why those lifetime warranties are kind of a scam... I mean sure, you get a new part, but if it's something hard to replace, that sure sucks!
Oh yeah I know he is. I was too when. I owned it for sure. I'll keep that place in mind. Especially when my ball joints finally go bad. As far as I know they got 131k on them and still tight as brand new joints.

Oh yeah I know he is. I was too when. I owned it for sure. I'll keep that place in mind. Especially when my ball joints finally go bad. As far as I know they got 131k on them and still tight as brand new joints.

When you need ball joints, get them here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007N6OHI0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Best price I've found on OEM Spicer ball joints! Free shipping too!

I bought a spare set of those, but much like you my ball joints have a ton of miles on them with no signs of wear. This is why I always try to stay with OE parts as much as possible, because I know they built them to last, unlike most of this junk that comes from China.

When you need ball joints, get them here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007N6OHI0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Best price I've found on OEM Spicer ball joints! Free shipping too!

I bought a spare set of those, but much like you my ball joints have a ton of miles on them with no signs of wear. This is why I always try to stay with OE parts as much as possible, because I know they built them to last, unlike most of this junk that comes from China.
Not a bad idea in case something does happen so your not stuck waiting on parts! and yeah those are pretty cheap I'll definetly get that page bookmarked! Thanks Chris your a big help man!

Not a bad idea in case something does happen so your not stuck waiting on parts! and yeah those are pretty cheap I'll definetly get that page bookmarked! Thanks Chris your a big help man!

No problem at all! I like Amazon because they have such good prices and since I have Prime it's free 2 day shipping on most stuff!

Reactions: HunterSmith2003TJ
I have been pleased with the OSC radiator I installed in my '99 wrangler Sahara http://oscautomotive.com/catalog/. It's a great quality product with excellent customer service...simple install. I was finding it very difficult to find a Mopar radiator as I have an automatic and they are becoming more difficult and more expensive to find. I ended up purchasing my OSC via rock auto and had it in 2 days for around 80 bucks plus around 8 bucks shipping. Even though it was specified as not included, mine did come with a new radiator cap which was a bonus. Watch OSC's video about they're build quality on rock's site http://ww.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3757905&cc=1431777&jnid=421&jpid=4. No problems, no leaks...been over a year!

I am the original owner of my un-lifted and un-molested Sahara with 120,000 miles on the clock. I am a new member recently joining as I am starting to replace and upgrade worn parts and accessories. My next project will be shocks and steering stabilizer with Rancho's latest RS5000X's (unless someone has a better suggestion).

Because of all of the wrangler owner reviews I've studied around the web, I just ordered a set of 30/9.5/15 cooper discoverer at3's from discount tire direct
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...do&fl=&pc=27028&counter=0&ar=9.50&rd=15&cs=30 (I got 80,000 miles out my goodyear wrangler silent armors that I purchased from tire rack but they've gone up in price way too much everywhere...the only goodyear tire I've ever liked on any vehicle I've ever owned.

I will be putting a full kenwwood excelon system in soon including a 5 channel amp and a very cool sub box from fox acoustics as well http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TJ-112-V. I'm just starting to acquire my shopping list one piece at a time. Wish I would have won the lottery.

Hmmm...what next?

I am really enjoying this great forum and the wonderful resources and ideas it lends an old fart like me! Thank-you all.
-Bono

my sahara.JPG

my sahara.JPG

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
I have been pleased with the OSC radiator I installed in my '99 wrangler Sahara http://oscautomotive.com/catalog/. It's a great quality product with excellent customer service...simple install. I was finding it very difficult to find a Mopar radiator as I have an automatic and they are becoming more difficult and more expensive to find. I ended up purchasing my OSC via rock auto and had it in 2 days for around 80 bucks plus around 8 bucks shipping. Even though it was specified as not included, mine did come with a new radiator cap which was a bonus. Watch OSC's video about they're build quality on rock's site http://ww.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3757905&cc=1431777&jnid=421&jpid=4. No problems, no leaks...been over a year!

I am the original owner of my un-lifted and un-molested Sahara with 120,000 miles on the clock. I am a new member recently joining as I am starting to replace and upgrade worn parts and accessories. My next project will be shocks and steering stabilizer with Rancho's latest RS5000X's (unless someone has a better suggestion).

Because of all of the wrangler owner reviews I've studied around the web, I just ordered a set of 30/9.5/15 cooper discoverer at3's from discount tire direct
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...do&fl=&pc=27028&counter=0&ar=9.50&rd=15&cs=30 (I got 80,000 miles out my goodyear wrangler silent armors that I purchased from tire rack but they've gone up in price way too much everywhere...the only goodyear tire I've ever liked on any vehicle I've ever owned.

I will be putting a full kenwwood excelon system in soon including a 5 channel amp and a very cool sub box from fox acoustics as well http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TJ-112-V. I'm just starting to acquire my shopping list one piece at a time. Wish I would have won the lottery.

Hmmm...what next?

I am really enjoying this great forum and the wonderful resources and ideas it lends an old fart like me! Thank-you all.
-Bono

my sahara.JPG

Welcome to the forum man, nice Sahara!

What's next on the mod list?

Hmmm...what next?

-Bono

my sahara.JPG
Appreciate the info! Always a nice idea to keep your options open! Good looking Sahara by the way. Jeep sure does use a pretty green and that tan hard top compliments it nicely!

Newbie here : Thank the heavens above I jus happened to run across this forum and this post in particular ... kept smelling antifreeze coming from underneath the hood on the 08 Sahara even after a short drive into town. Found the tanks on both sides of the radiator leaking fluid. Considered an aftermarket replacement until I found this post !!! Seems OEM is the way to go !!!

Newbie here : Thank the heavens above I jus happened to run across this forum and this post in particular ... kept smelling antifreeze coming from underneath the hood on the 08 Sahara even after a short drive into town. Found the tanks on both sides of the radiator leaking fluid. Considered an aftermarket replacement until I found this post !!! Seems OEM is the way to go !!!

OE is the way to go 100%. Anything else will give you more trouble than it’s worth. Even the replacement radiators at your local auto part store won’t last as long as an OE replacement.

X2 on the OE Mopar radiator. We just haven't found any cheaper aftermarket radiators that cool or hold up as well. Not to mention the Mopar has an all aluminum core which is the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited