Aftermarket radiators: What's good and what's trash?

X2 on the OE Mopar radiator. We just haven't found any cheaper aftermarket radiators that cool as well or hold up as well. Not to mention the Mopar has an all aluminum core which is the way to go.

Eventually we may be forced to go aftermarket once Mopar stops producing the factory radiators. I know they've already discontinued a ton of the factory parts for the TJ at this point.

If you end up wanting an OE radiator get it from www.wermopar.com. Hands down the cheapest prices on factory OE parts for sure.

There's a lot of aftermarket radiator companies out there (i.e. Mishimoto) that in my opinion are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist (cooling the 4.0 engine). I see the benefit of some of these radiators if you're running a V8 swap (or something other than the 4.0), but with the factory 4.0 engine the OE Mopar radiator will be more than enough for any off-roader, no doubt about it.

Not to mention that the factory radiators will usually last most of us around a decade or so, whereas these Chinese knockoff radiators usually fail much sooner. It's unfortunate, but true.

While I tend to agree, in desert climates like here in dubai, the Mishimoto rad does help keep the temps slightly below stock levels with a good fan clutch to transfer the heat. That being said, I’ve heard the mopar ones are aluminum core anyway so it might be placebo [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
OE is the way to go 100%. Anything else will give you more trouble than it’s worth. Even the replacement radiators at your local auto part store won’t last as long as an OE replacement.
I find it strange that on tj conversations, oe radiator is the way to go. However, jk forums, they all whine and moan about how junk the oe radiator is and fails after 15k miles. I wish BEHR would make radiators for both jeeps, I use them in every bmw (32 psi cooling systems, most cars are 15 or so) that I've had and never one problem with them.

I find it strange that on tj conversations, oe radiator is the way to go. However, jk forums, they all whine and moan about how junk the oe radiator is and fails after 15k miles. I wish BEHR would make radiators for both jeeps, I use them in every bmw (32 psi cooling systems, most cars are 15 or so) that I've had and never one problem with them.

I think that’s a known issue with the JKs is radiators that fail prematurely. Not sure who made the radiators for the JKs, but my best guess is it’s a design flaw.

Yes the factory radiator on my previous JKU only lasted a year and a half before it leaked at the lower plastic elbow......but the replacement Mishimoto that I put in lasted less than 6 months before that leaked in no less than 3 places.

Yes the factory radiator on my previous JKU only lasted a year and a half before it leaked at the lower plastic elbow......but the replacement Mishimoto that I put in lasted less than 6 months before that leaked in no less than 3 places.

I've heard this as well. JK owners always complain that the Mishimoto radiators end up leaking. But that elbow on the stock JK radiator seems to be a very common failure point from all I've read. I wonder if they fixed it at any point in the JK lifespan.

I've heard this as well. JK owners always complain that the Mishimoto radiators end up leaking. But that elbow on the stock JK radiator seems to be a very common failure point from all I've read. I wonder if they fixed it at any point in the JK lifespan.

IDK know about an update....I got rid of my JKU and 9 months later upgraded to my TJ

It seems the MOPAR OEM replacement$ are few and far between, read: "Discontinued." After consulting with a few mechanics, the prevailing quality choice is the Denso 221-9234 . I went with that one. I had previously replaced the radiator with a BS Chinese knock-off, and it lasted about 4 years.

It seems the MOPAR OEM replacement$ are few and far between, read: "Discontinued." After consulting with a few mechanics, the prevailing quality choice is the Denso 221-9234 . I went with that one. I had previously replaced the radiator with a BS Chinese knock-off, and it lasted about 4 years.

I wonder if @mrblaine has any experience with Denso, pretty sure he’s tried every rad out there for the TJ.

I also picked up a Denso that I'll be installing tomorrow. They're a tier one supplier and I expect their radiators will be OEM quality.