Aftermarket subwoofer replacement for factory subwoofer?

JGil

Supporting Member
I have 2005 sport with factory sub in the center console... I've read about the Quadratec replacement sub, but the reviews are just ok.....
Has anyone upgraded to a better sub or retrofitted a larger name brand sub into the center console....

First off, if you're going to go through the effort of replacing the factory subwoofer, don't use the factory amp. It's absolute garbage, and even with an aftermarket sub like a Kicker, the factory amp simply can't power an aftermarket sub to sound anywhere near as good as it should.

I recently upgraded the audio (including the factory subwoofer and amp) in my 2005 Rubicon, and this is what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UG7AWH8/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BLVEZG6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That amp is TINY, and it's waterproof as well. It has more than enough power to power that subwoofer, which also happens to fit in the factory subwoofer enclosure with very minimal modifications (you just have to Dremel some of the inner pieces of the factory enclosure in order for the new subwoofer to fit, since it's a little deeper than the stock one).

Anyways, it was super easy to install, and I can't tell you how huge of an improvement it is over stock. Seriously, words can't even describe it. The end result is a subwoofer that totally transforms the audio in the vehicle. I don't listen to bass heavy music (i.e. rap), mostly just blues, jazz, rock, and some twangy country. However, this thing just totally brings the music to life, even with the subwoofer only on half volume (any more than that and it was really starting to rattle things).

You honestly can't even compare the factory subwoofer (or that crappy Quadratec one) to this setup. This is mainly to do with the fact that the factory amp (and the wiring used) is just a complete piece of crap.

It doesn't matter what subwoofer you put in there to replace the stock one, no subwoofer you use is going to sound that great, and it's entirely because of the factory amp. It simply will not power a decent aftermarket sub (or even the stock sub) the way you or I want it to.

I will order both of those from Amazon.
Did you install the amp under the dash in the factory local and did you use all of the factory wiring and plugs?
For the sub were you able to use all of the factory wiring and plugs as well?

Well im not sure if what i found under the dash on the drivers side is an amp? It says its a "Delphi Delco Electronics" it has a grey 10 pin plug connecter and a blue and white connecters, both of the plugs run to the back of the non oem radio, the grey plug is not connected to anything at the radio?

I recommend the following, time and time again:

1- gut your center console of the entire garbage sub unit.
2- buy this:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html (Crutchfield sent me a free wiring kit too)
3- wire it up (fits just right) and drop the console over it. You’ll still have the stash / cassette area available after install, as it doesn’t need to be modded to fit the Sound Ordnance.
4- enjoy full sound. Even w the top down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well im not sure if what i found under the dash on the drivers side is an amp? It says its a "Delphi Delco Electronics" it has a grey 10 pin plug connecter and a blue and white connecters, both of the plugs run to the back of the non oem radio, the grey plug is not connected to anything at the radio?

That grey plug goes to the amp, yes. The amp is mounted to the back of the subwoofer enclosure. Once you remove the center console and the factory sub, you’ll see it more clearly.

I mounted my amp right before the shifter console, under the carpet. As soon as I get home I’ll snap some photos for you. It’s small enough that you can very easily mount it just about anywhere. It really is a tiny amp. It’s amazing it puts out as much power as it does.

This is the gray box that is under the dash in the driver's side. The gray plug behind the radio was not connected to anything. Do you have any idea of what the gray box under the dash is?
IMG_0644.jpg IMG_0643.jpg IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

Oh yeah, that grey plug isn’t the amp. The grey plug I am talking about is visible once the center console is removed.

I have 2005 sport with factory sub in the center console... I've read about the Quadratec replacement sub, but the reviews are just ok.....
Has anyone upgraded to a better sub or retrofitted a larger name brand sub into the center console....
Are you changing your head unit out? Because I think you should if you’re going to run an aftermarket amp and sub.

Also, consider the compact powered subwoofers, like the Rockford Fosgate PS-8 or Kicker or Sound Ordnance. These are run in many of our TJ’s with nothing but kudos. Here’s a simple and proven setup

1. New head unit with features like Bluetooth, 22w rms or more, white background with black letters, water resistant
2. REplace dash speakers with Polk 4.25 or 5.25 (with modified bracket)
3. REplace sound bar speakers Polk 5.25 or 6.5 (with some minor modification)
4. RF PS-8 or Kicker or Sound Ordnance (the order is my ranking)

This simple setup will transform your TJ’s sound

Reactions: KCsTJ and Thdoors
Thank you all for the great feedback....
I will look into Amazon and Crutchfield for the entire system....
Hopefully by mid May I will have the sound system installed.!!!

I recommend the following, time and time again:

1- gut your center console of the entire garbage sub unit.
2- buy this:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html (Crutchfield sent me a free wiring kit too)
3- wire it up (fits just right) and drop the console over it. You’ll still have the stash / cassette area available after install, as it doesn’t need to be modded to fit the Sound Ordnance.
4- enjoy full sound. Even w the top down.

Do you have any pictures of this install? Blew the sub in my 05 LJ today and trying to figure out the best solution. I was thinking about an amp and sub, but I'd rather just get a better head unit with higher rms and have the sub powered by itself. Also, how did you mount the sub to the console?

Reactions: Zaythedad
I will order both of those from Amazon.
Did you install the amp under the dash in the factory local and did you use all of the factory wiring and plugs?
For the sub were you able to use all of the factory wiring and plugs as well?

I installed the amp near the front of the center console, right in front of the shifter.

I didn't use factory wiring or plugs. I used the RCA cables to plug it in to the back of my aftermarket head unit (into the subwoofer port), and then I ran a power wire from the amp to the battery through the firewall. The amp then obviously connects to the sub directly. You can't reuse any of the factory wiring as far as the subwoofer is concerned.

The way the factory has it wired is absolutely horrible.

Reactions: Darsmith
I installed the same Kicker amp and sub in my LJ last week along with a new double din head unit and Polk speakers front and rear. The sound is fantastic and the sub delivers that little bit of low end that was missing. I ended up mounting the compact Kicker amp inside of the glove box via 3m heavy duty adhesive tape. There is a metal bracket above the inside of the glove box that offers a perfect mounting base.

IMG_5069.jpg

Reactions: Capt'n
I installed the same Kicker amp and sub in my LJ last week along with a new double din head unit and Polk speakers front and rear. The sound is fantastic and the sub delivers that little bit of low end that was missing. I ended up mounting the compact Kicker amp inside of the glove box via 3m heavy duty adhesive tape. There is a metal bracket above the inside of the glove box that offers a perfect mounting base.

View attachment 43817

Thank you. I think I'm leaning towards doing a self powered subwoofer without a separate amp. And then head unit, and down the road different speakers. Do you know how people mount the self powered sub in the center console? Let me know if you have any other ideas.

......Do you know how people mount the self powered sub in the center console? Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Me, personally, I didn’t mount or attach the sub to anything. It simply sat tightly inside the cavity of the console. In other words, the console basically sat overtop of the sub and the console was simply bolted down to the tub in its factory holes.

Reactions: cjaama

Did you tap the fuse box for power or run a lead to the battery? Did you find a decent ground location inside the glovebox or was that ran elsewhere?

Did you tap the fuse box for power or run a lead to the battery? Did you find a decent ground location inside the glovebox or was that ran elsewhere?

I ran powder directly from the battery and through the firewall grommet near the steering wheel. For a ground I was able to use one of the screw holes around the glove box. That allowed me to keep the ground wire short and easy to access.

Chris
Can you direct message me? I’ve just picked up this exact setup and need a little insight on how you wired the amp in. I know virtually nothing about radio equipment and wiring.

First off, if you're going to go through the effort of replacing the factory subwoofer, don't use the factory amp. It's absolute garbage, and even with an aftermarket sub like a Kicker, the factory amp simply can't power an aftermarket sub to sound anywhere near as good as it should.

I recently upgraded the audio (including the factory subwoofer and amp) in my 2005 Rubicon, and this is what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UG7AWH8/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BLVEZG6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That amp is TINY, and it's waterproof as well. It has more than enough power to power that subwoofer, which also happens to fit in the factory subwoofer enclosure with very minimal modifications (you just have to Dremel some of the inner pieces of the factory enclosure in order for the new subwoofer to fit, since it's a little deeper than the stock one).

Anyways, it was super easy to install, and I can't tell you how huge of an improvement it is over stock. Seriously, words can't even describe it. The end result is a subwoofer that totally transforms the audio in the vehicle. I don't listen to bass heavy music (i.e. rap), mostly just blues, jazz, rock, and some twangy country. However, this thing just totally brings the music to life, even with the subwoofer only on half volume (any more than that and it was really starting to rattle things).

You honestly can't even compare the factory subwoofer (or that crappy Quadratec one) to this setup. This is mainly to do with the fact that the factory amp (and the wiring used) is just a complete piece of crap.

It doesn't matter what subwoofer you put in there to replace the stock one, no subwoofer you use is going to sound that great, and it's entirely because of the factory amp. It simply will not power a decent aftermarket sub (or even the stock sub) the way you or I want it to.