Aftermarket subwoofer replacement for factory subwoofer?

Chris
Can you direct message me? I’ve just picked up this exact setup and need a little insight on how you wired the amp in. I know virtually nothing about radio equipment and wiring.

Wiring the amp is simple. You run a cable coming from the positive terminal on the battery (with an inline fuse) going to the amp. Then you should have a set of RCA cables that go from the back of your aftermarket headunit to the RCA cable inputs on the amp.

You then of course have a ground wire going from the amp to the body of the vehicle, and then you have wires going from the amp to the subwoofer itself as well.

Very easy to do, but it does of course require at least some basic knowledge of wiring.

Did you bypass the original 4 wires originally connecting the factory amp to the sub?
I’m trying to figure out where the 12 pin connector comes in to play. I was wanting to use the existing 12 pin as I have the wires labeled. In other words is it best to do away with all the factory wiring inside the center console and run it as you said or should i trace down and tap in to the existing harness/wires like the power wire, ground wire etc.
may be a stupid question... but, the other 4 speakers will still work running the set up like you mention, correct? I’ve seen to have read that the sound bar is fed from the console. Maybe I read it wrong?

Wiring the amp is simple. You run a cable coming from the positive terminal on the battery (with an inline fuse) going to the amp. Then you should have a set of RCA cables that go from the back of your aftermarket headunit to the RCA cable inputs on the amp.

You then of course have a ground wire going from the amp to the body of the vehicle, and then you have wires going from the amp to the subwoofer itself as well.

Very easy to do, but it does of course require at least some basic knowledge of wiring.

Did you bypass the original 4 wires originally connecting the factory amp to the sub?
I’m trying to figure out where the 12 pin connector comes in to play. I was wanting to use the existing 12 pin as I have the wires labeled. In other words is it best to do away with all the factory wiring inside the center console and run it as you said or should i trace down and tap in to the existing harness/wires like the power wire, ground wire etc.
may be a stupid question... but, the other 4 speakers will still work running the set up like you mention, correct? I’ve seen to have read that the sound bar is fed from the console. Maybe I read it wrong?

Yes, those original wires (the harness that goes to the factory sub) doesn't get used at all. You just unplug it and never touch it again.

Keep in mind that this won't work unless you have an aftermarket head unit of course.

Do away with all of the wiring in the center console, none of that will get used at all. This new amp is hooked up directly to your aftermarket head unit, bypassing all of the factory wiring for the subwoofer.

The speakers will all still work, because you're still using the plug that goes into the back of the stock head unit to plug into your aftermarket head unit (though you need an adapter for it of course).

After reading this, I'm glad my 98 didnt have a factory sub. I built a box and put a 12 inch Fosgate behind my back seat, and I'm running 800 watts through it. Only problem is that it makes the back of the seat flap against the grille, which sounds horrible. It is adequate with the top off and overwhelming with the top on.

I may be getting confused in thinking I can power all the speakers with that amp? But in reality it’s just to power the sub woofer? If that’s the case, I can see where the factory console wiring isn’t needed.
Also I have the factory head unit. New one is on the way. And again I have all the 12 wires labeled coming from the headunit so it would be easy to tap in to those. Also would the amp not stay on constantly if I run it directly from the battery? Or is that where running it with RCA cables from the new head unit comes in (amp turns on when radio does?)

I may be getting confused in thinking I can power all the speakers with that amp? But in reality it’s just to power the sub woofer? If that’s the case, I can see where the factory console wiring isn’t needed.
Also I have the factory head unit. New one is on the way. And again I have all the 12 wires labeled coming from the headunit so it would be easy to tap in to those. Also would the amp not stay on constantly if I run it directly from the battery? Or is that where running it with RCA cables from the new head unit comes in (amp turns on when radio does?)

Correct. This amp is just to power the subwoofer. If you want to power the subwoofer and all 4 speakers, you need a 5-channel amp as oppose to a single channel amp like the Kicker.

The thing is, you don't really need to power all the speakers with an amp, as any aftermarket head unit should power all 4-speakers just fine. My setup sounds absolutely amazing, and all I am powering the speakers with is the headunit itself.

The difference over stock is night and day... you can't even compare the two.

The amp won't stay on constantly even being wired to the battery. This is because in order for the amp to turn on, it needs the signal from the aftermarket head unit, which is provided via the blue "remote" wire coming from the head unit (sorry, forgot about that one, it's one more wire that will be on your aftermarket head unit that goes into the amp). That wire only gives the subwoofer the power to turn on when your head unit is on.

So in other words, your amp won't be on unless your head unit is turned on. Sort of like how your TV is always plugged into the wall, but it's not actually using power until you turn the TV on.

Crystal clear! Thank you very much!!
Will give you a shout if I run in to issues.
Thanks man

Correct. This amp is just to power the subwoofer. If you want to power the subwoofer and all 4 speakers, you need a 5-channel amp as oppose to a single channel amp like the Kicker.

The thing is, you don't really need to power all the speakers with an amp, as any aftermarket head unit should power all 4-speakers just fine. My setup sounds absolutely amazing, and all I am powering the speakers with is the headunit itself.

The amp won't stay on constantly even being wired to the battery. This is because in order for the amp to turn on, it needs the signal from the aftermarket head unit, which is provided via the blue "remote" wire coming from the head unit (sorry, forgot about that one, it's one more wire that will be on your aftermarket head unit that goes into the amp). That wire only gives the subwoofer the power to turn on when your head unit is on.

So in other words, your amp won't be on unless your head unit is turned on. Sort of like how your TV is always plugged into the wall, but it's not actually using power until you turn the TV on.

Reactions: Chris
One last question.. for a while lol
Is it possible to connect to the power wires that are coming in to the console from the headunit? Just trying to keep from running more wires from the battery and in to the Jeep. The wires running to the male 12pin that connects to the console are all upgraded wires as well. Previous owner had some kind of after market deal and put it all back to stock before selling.

One last question.. for a while lol
Is it possible to connect to the power wires that are coming in to the console from the headunit? Just trying to keep from running more wires from the battery and in to the Jeep. The wires running to the male 12pin that connects to the console are all upgraded wires as well. Previous owner had some kind of after market deal and put it all back to stock before selling.

No, it's not possible. The amp needs that power from the battery directly, and it needs to use a very thick wire gauge. I can't recall which gauged I used, but I followed the instruction manual which I believe specified 12 gauge (I'd double check to make sure).

Kind of off topic, but I didn’t want to create a new thread.

@Chris I think I remember you saying you replaced your dash speakers with Kicker. A local guy is selling a used pair of 4x6" and says it includes “brackets”. Are they not a direct replacement?

Also, can I expect improved sound quality even with a factory head unit?

Kind of off topic, but I didn’t want to create a new thread.

@Chris I think I remember you saying you replaced your dash speakers with Kicker. A local guy is selling a used pair of 4x6" and says it includes “brackets”. Are they not a direct replacement?

Also, can I expect improved sound quality even with a factory head unit?

I didn't use Kicker speakers (except the sub), I used Polk Audio. You can see my exact setup here:
Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

New speakers will give you improved sound with the factory head unit (though they need to be the right type of speakers, hence the reason everyone uses those Polk Audios I used in that thread).

However, for the best sound, you really need to ditch the horrible factory head unit.

Awesome.
I have a new head unit and the same amp and sub you mentioned on page 1. Picked up an amp wire/install kit, the adapter for he headunit and the install kit for the head unit.
I’ll upgrade the 4 speaker in a few days.
I have a standard. Any ideas on where to hide the amp?

I didn't use Kicker speakers (except the sub), I used Polk Audio. You can see my exact setup here:
Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

New speakers will give you improved sound with the factory head unit (though they need to be the right type of speakers, hence the reason everyone uses those Polk Audios I used in that thread).

However, for the best sound, you really need to ditch the horrible factory head unit.

Awesome.
I have a new head unit and the same amp and sub you mentioned on page 1. Picked up an amp wire/install kit, the adapter for he headunit and the install kit for the head unit.
I’ll upgrade the 4 speaker in a few days.
I have a standard. Any ideas on where to hide the amp?

I tucked mine right underneath the carpet at the front of the center console. There was just enough room to lift the carpet up and mount it under there. You can't see it at all, and the wiring was easy to get from the head unit down to that area.

I'm jeep ignorant when it comes to sound, when you refer to the head unit, are you referring to headphones?

Headunit is

Screenshot_20180831-161715_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ
Mine fit perfectly inside the subwoofer enclosure. My other 4 speakers will be in soon. I’m hoping it gives the whole system some clarity. I believe my headunit is exactly the same as your as well. Wished they had a simple “bass” and “treble” control lol. Still trying to figure the thing out.

I tucked mine right underneath the carpet at the front of the center console. There was just enough room to lift the carpet up and mount it under there. You can't see it at all, and the wiring was easy to get from the head unit down to that area.

Reactions: Chris
Mine fit perfectly inside the subwoofer enclosure. My other 4 speakers will be in soon. I’m hoping it gives the whole system some clarity. I believe my headunit is exactly the same as your as well. Wished they had a simple “bass” and “treble” control lol. Still trying to figure the thing out.

The bass and treble is very easy to adjust on the head unit... at least it is on mine. You may want to go through the manual if you're having a hard time finding it.

Reactions: skrelnik
Chris
Can you direct message me? I’ve just picked up this exact setup and need a little insight on how you wired the amp in. I know virtually nothing about radio equipment and wiring.
Hola I live in Mexico and I have a 05 TJ Rubicon, I’m installing the same set of speaker and amp in my jeep, do you have pictures of how to wire the amp thanks [email protected]

I installed the Sound Ordinance suggested by fourpointzero. Sounds great, fits in console. Upgraded deck, bolted in Polk audio marine grade speakers in factory locations. 4 speakers, deck, sub - GREAT UPGRADE $392!!!

Spend the $18 on the amp wiring kit from Crutchfield. Speakers and deck come with factory harnesses, and deck mounting plate.

Thank you for all the valuable info.

Here are a few pics.

20190407_104524.jpg

20190407_112211.jpg

20190407_122142.jpg

20190407_122209.jpg

15546652062136968797435763415693.jpg

I installed the Sound Ordinance suggested by fourpointzero. Sounds great, fits in console. Upgraded deck, bolted in Polk audio marine grade speakers in factory locations. 4 speakers, deck, sub - GREAT UPGRADE $392!!!

Spend the $18 on the amp wiring kit from Crutchfield. Speakers and deck come with factory harnesses, and deck mounting plate.

Thank you for all the valuable info.

Here are a few pics.
Thanks