Aftermarket subwoofer replacement for factory subwoofer?

Thanks to all!

I guess my confusion started by the fact that the Kicker 6.75" sub is available in 1 or 2 ohm, so does the Kicker 42pxa amplifier and the fact that I read that running it at .5ohm wasn't the prefered method...but then, I read so much that I misunderstood and mixed informations!

I was trying to order through Crutchfield but they don't ship outside the US...but wait a minute , there is a Canadian website, wouhou!!!
What?
They want twice the amount and somemore!?!
Not going to happen!
Money exchange is at ~2x% not 50%

Trying to find anotherway since amé-zon is not cheap either.

Sweet thanks @ardweebno and @skrelnik, I didn’t do my research on the stock amp. I figured I would save money for college and just use the stock amp, I guess I’ll have to make a sacrifice and get the amp.

You have other options. If you want to save money, check out Pyle's 6" DVC subwoofer. For that price, you could buy the speaker and a 100watt amp for less than the price of the kicker speaker. I actually own that sub and used it in the factory sub enclosure with a stand-alone amp. It will thump much harder than the factory sub for less than the cost of a family trip to Starbucks.

Reactions: skrelnik
I installed the Sound Ordinance suggested by fourpointzero. Sounds great, fits in console. Upgraded deck, bolted in Polk audio marine grade speakers in factory locations. 4 speakers, deck, sub - GREAT UPGRADE $392!!!

Spend the $18 on the amp wiring kit from Crutchfield. Speakers and deck come with factory harnesses, and deck mounting plate.

Thank you for all the valuable info.

Here are a few pics.
Is the powered sub fastened down in some manner or just wedged between the floor and the console tray?

Sweet thanks @ardweebno and @skrelnik, I didn’t do my research on the stock amp. I figured I would save money for college and just use the stock amp, I guess I’ll have to make a sacrifice and get the amp.

There are other options for less money. I would actually recommend passing on that Kicker amp for that Soundstream 5-channel amplifier, so later-on you can upgrade the other four speakers and power them with this amplifier.

Or, if you only care about that subwoofer, you can grab a cheaper amplifier like this Sound Storm for $34 search google for best price. It will power the Kicker woofer that you currently have installed.

https://www.soundstormlab.com/produ...auto-monoblock-amplifier-sound-storm-smcm200/
You can also search Ebay for a used amplifier, or the DIYMA classifieds forum.

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/mono-amplifiers/

Last edited:
You have other options. If you want to save money, check out Pyle's 6" DVC subwoofer. For that price, you could buy the speaker and a 100watt amp for less than the price of the kicker speaker. I actually own that sub and used it in the factory sub enclosure with a stand-alone amp. It will thump much harder than the factory sub for less than the cost of a family trip to Starbucks.
I’ve already got the kicker sub, just not the amp, I don’t think I could return the sub by now :/ but thank you for the recommendations.

There are other options for less money. I would actually recommend passing on that Kicker amp for that Soundstream 5-channel amplifier, so later-on you can upgrade the other four speakers and power them with this amplifier.

Or, if you only care about that subwoofer, you can grab a cheaper amplifier like this Sound Storm for $34 search google for best price. It will power the Kicker woofer that you currently have installed.

https://www.soundstormlab.com/produ...auto-monoblock-amplifier-sound-storm-smcm200/
You can also search Ebay for a used amplifier, or the DIYMA classifieds forum.

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/mono-amplifiers/
Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll have to weigh my options and pick one

I highly recommend the Sound Ordinance self powered unit. It sounds great and is super easy to install. In an application like a Jeep powering the other small speakers in sub par factory locations with a separate amp really doesn't make that big of a difference in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

Is the powered sub fastened down in some manner or just wedged between the floor and the console tray?
It is wedged in very tightly with foam and cannot move while still leaving the majority of the amp open to the air for cooling purposes. The holes in the side of the console are uncovered as well.

I just skimmed through this thread, but there is some really good info in here. I really like that Soundstream 5 channel amp. That is a nice small package for 60x4 + 200x. Is anyone using this amp? Where did you install it?

Just received my 1 ohm Kicker sub and amplifier \m/
Since the wiring could support the 200w, I might give it a try but can that Kicker amplifier fit inside that stock console?:unsure:

All,

I swapped out the stock Jeep sub and the lowest height (i.e. height when you mount it on it's side, or what they spec as width) powered sub I could find was this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA627HA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The Blaupunkt is a narrower sub than those others have recommended (or alluded to) on the forum as drop-in replacements. I still had to cut the console tray to clear the top of this sub. Not sure how others got ever taller subs to fit in the stock console? PM me if you want photos.

BTW the Blaupunkt sub only set me back $100 and sounds great.

Tim

I recommend the following, time and time again:

1- gut your center console of the entire garbage sub unit.
2- buy this:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html (Crutchfield sent me a free wiring kit too)
3- wire it up (fits just right) and drop the console over it. You’ll still have the stash / cassette area available after install, as it doesn’t need to be modded to fit the Sound Ordnance.
4- enjoy full sound. Even w the top down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did you wire this unit - to the factory harness in the console? And, hello everyone; long-time jeep owner, first-time Wrangler (TJ) owner.

How did you wire this unit - to the factory harness in the console? And, hello everyone; long-time jeep owner, first-time Wrangler (TJ) owner.

For the Blaupunkt sub I installed, I wired it to an aftermarket stereo and left the factory sub harness disconnected. (I think the question wasn't directed at me but thought I would chime in anyway.)

I have a pair of Kicker compact subs under the back seat of my Chevy Avalanche. The installation can be done a couple different ways. Either by running RCA cables to the deck, or splicing in to the speaker wires. They sound great in my case.
Although I chose to install a 6.75" sub & separate 200 watt amp in the Jeep. I still think going with a compact sub would be fine.

Last edited:
This is one of the projects I plan on doing. I have an aftermarket head unit so I ran rca cables already along with a dedicated 12ga power cable with inline fuse from the battery to the console. I ran a chassis ground from the attachment point in front of the transfer shifter. I also ran a remote power on from the power antenna wire off the head unit. Now all I need is the powered sub. As for the existing subwoofer wiring harness, it is zip tied up under the dash.

Just wanted to sat I recently installed the Sound Ordnance sub and am happy with it. I did have to drill out the rivets for my console tray, but didn't cut it. Just put some foam between it and the sub. Then dropped the tray back in. It stands a little proud but the lid closes just fine. Didn't buy the $30 Crutchfield wiring kit. Went to the big box store and bought what I needed for $10 and had connectors left over for other projects.

I installed the Sound Ordinance suggested by fourpointzero. Sounds great, fits in console. Upgraded deck, bolted in Polk audio marine grade speakers in factory locations. 4 speakers, deck, sub - GREAT UPGRADE $392!!!

Spend the $18 on the amp wiring kit from Crutchfield. Speakers and deck come with factory harnesses, and deck mounting plate.

Thank you for all the valuable info.

Here are a few pics.

View attachment 86858

View attachment 86859

View attachment 86860

View attachment 86861

View attachment 86862
Finally some pics of sub in console. Thank you. I'm debating the sound ordnance sub or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0082YUR7M/?tag=wranglerorg-20. Look to be the same size but this one is cheaper and is more power and recommended. Wanted to see if you think it would fit?

This is one of the projects I plan on doing. I have an aftermarket head unit so I ran rca cables already along with a dedicated 12ga power cable with inline fuse from the battery to the console. I ran a chassis ground from the attachment point in front of the transfer shifter. I also ran a remote power on from the power antenna wire off the head unit. Now all I need is the powered sub. As for the existing subwoofer wiring harness, it is zip tied up under the dash.
Finally completed this project.
0823191300.jpg
1115191112.jpg
1116191053.jpg
1116191053a.jpg
1116191119.jpg

30a circuit breaker. Tray relocated from bottom mount to top mount. Velcro to hold in place on tranny hump. Remote gain mounted in the tray.

Looks great. What do you mean relocated tray from bottom to top mount I'm about to do the same install.
The tray or liner as some call it is mounted from underneath the console shell. I drilled out the 4 rivets and dropped it out the bottom then set it back in from the top so the flange of the tray rests on top of the console. Compare my pics with how your console looks and you'll see what I mean.