Ahhhhhhhh... I'm back!

Forty

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey all, it’s been a bit since I’ve been on here. I just had to walk away from my TJ for several months. Bought a house that needed some remodeling and found that my 06 TJ with 54k miles needs a rebuild.... after I’ve spent a ton of money on other Jeep stuff that could have waited for this to get done first I just had to pump the brakes.
I contemplated selling it and just walking away but couldn’t after all the time and $$$ invested. So now that tax season is upon us :BangHead::bash: I’m going to get the motor done. I had a buddy from Chrysler check the PCM etc. and he thinks the miles are accurate. I will pull it, dismember it as much as I can, and there’s a local shop several people have recommended that will do all the cleaning, machining, and pressing needed for around $1300 which includes the rebuild kit.
In the meantime my ram 1500 lease is up so I bought my cousins 2011 JGC Laredo. She hit a deer so I got a deal . It’s nice, leather heated seats, Hemi, AWD with the snow, sand, rock, sport settings, and upgraded audio. Now to make this one fast and loud! I’m such a glutton for punishment lol. :roto2lol:

97ADFCE4-658C-4492-8DE6-A53331DCCA34.jpeg

8B118B13-FEAB-42AD-AACE-F60CD40FFCFA.jpeg

87F23F1F-F92F-4BEF-9BF4-8E3C6CC09E0E.jpeg

D6FA4236-3840-4682-BA16-3237B5616618.jpeg

Why does your TJ need a rebuild with only 54k miles on it? What is wrong with the engine?

But hey, glad to see you back!

'70 Chevelle SS in the background...my absolute favorite Chevrolet! Sorry...TJ forum...must remember that! :D So, yeah...why a rebuild at 54,000 miles? That ain't even broke in yet, by most standards.

Reactions: Forty
Why does your TJ need a rebuild with only 54k miles on it? What is wrong with the engine?

But hey, glad to see you back!
Well when I changed the rear main seal... with your “how too” which was spot on! I noticed some gouging in the crank bearing and crank shaft. Had a friend from Chrysler look at the pics and he said it was bad news. Did a compression test and got 130 psi on 3 cylinders, 100 psi on 2 cylinders, and 110 psi on another.
He checked the PCM and the mileage lines up so all I can think of is the previous owner beat the dog snot out of redline while mudding it.

Well when I changed the rear main seal... with your “how too” which was spot on! I noticed some gouging in the crank bearing and crank shaft. Had a friend from Chrysler look at the pics and he said it was bad news. Did a compression test and got 130 psi on 3 cylinders, 100 psi on 2 cylinders, and 110 psi on another.
He checked the PCM and the mileage lines up so all I can think of is the previous owner beat the dog snot out of redline while mudding it.

Wow, that sucks! Definitely not common to see a 4.0 go bad with such low miles.

Could have been something the previous owner did, or it could just be a fluke, as they do happen from time-to-time.

And I know he missed the crap out of it from what he told me, how much mud I had to clean out of the frame, and that 3rd and 4th gears were grinding bad when I got it. Wayne’s Transmission in Waterford, MI fixed that for me.

Reactions: Chris
Wow, that sucks! Definitely not common to see a 4.0 go bad with such low miles.

Could have been something the previous owner did, or it could just be a fluke, as they do happen from time-to-time.
I agree that flukes do happen but my gut tells me otherwise

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
I agree that flukes do happen but my gut tells me otherwise

Well, lesson learned I suppose. The good thing is that a refurbished 4.0 isn't crazy expensive like the engines for some vehicles (my old M3 comes to mind). I know because I had to put a refurbished 4.0 in my old XJ.

I bought a MINT 1990 Eagle Talon Tsi with 32k on it just 4 years ago, service records, garage kept.
I replaced every imaginable part and censor on that car, even the PCM and it finally blew with 72K.

I agree.....low milage vehicles that sit can be a nightmare.

Reactions: Forty and BlakeDevs