Air Bag leveling Kits

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
IMG-0122.JPG
Getting trailer sag when towing with my TJ. Air bags were suggested. Is anybody here using these?
https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60811/

Last edited:
I think air bags would be a great option for you.
I've used Firestone air bags for this exact purpose and was very pleased, plus it's a relatively inexpensive way to keep level.

You can mount your shrader valve anywhere you want to add or release air.

But more specifically, I've not used that brand before.

I think air bags would be a great option for you.
I've used Firestone air bags for this exact purpose and was very pleased, plus it's a relatively inexpensive way to keep level.

You can mount your shrader valve anywhere you want to add or release air.

But more specifically, I've not used that brand before.
Just to clarify, on your TJ?

Actually it was not on my TJ as i only pull a small utility trailer with minimal sag.

I was just referring the use of air bags for your intended application.

My first experience with air bags was when I pulled a 2000lb P'up with a Chevy Colorado.
While the towing capacity was there, it sagged significantly.....air bags were the perfect solution.

Actually it was not on my TJ as i only pull a small utility trailer with minimal sag.

I was just referring the use of air bags for your intended application.

My first experience with air bags was when I pulled a 2000lb P'up with a Chevy Colorado.
While the towing capacity was there, it sagged significantly.....air bags were the perfect solution.
It is less than 100 bucks it may be worth a go. Once you buy the kit, the bags can be replaced individually if necessary and in the TJ they install inside of the coil spring so lifting the tire off of the ground shouldn't affect the bag like on a leaf spring application. Now I just need to know what I need to know about adding it to a two inch lifted spring. Maybe the added bump stop will be enough.

Airbags work great for leveling your Jeep when it's towing a trailer. I installed a set from Airlift into the rear of my old XJ Cherokee for when I towed a boat and they were great.... problem free too.

Another option is a WDH " weight distribution hitch.....that's all i use now with the heavier loads i pull.

I use them for anti-sway also.

Reactions: ac_
Another option is a WDH " weight distribution hitch.....that's all i use now with the heavier loads i pull.

I use them for anti-sway also.

That may be a little overkill for my 4x8 trailer. I am running the OME light springs in the rear, and when I pop my quad on the trailer it squats whats worse is it lightens up the front also. It is well below the 2K lb limit, but the light springs are just too light for it. I have some HD springs, but no weight other than the trailer. If I put the HD springs in it gives me well over 2" rake in the rear. With the light duty springs I get about 3/4 inch rake in the rear. So I was testing the waters to see what would happen if I put air bags in my light duty springs in the rear. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

I was hoping to see if anybody else had had the same problem or fix.

@Jerry Bransford did you happen to have lifted springs when you did it? Did you have to do anything to provision them for the extra space?

@Jerry Bransford did you happen to have lifted springs when you did it? Did you have to do anything to provision them for the extra space?[/QUOTE]No, I was running the stock leaf springs. Contact Airlift, they probably know just what you need.

Those look simple, easy, and not a maintenance issue.
On the other hand do not get tempted by automatic air leveling systems that inflate air shocks. My first Avalanche work truck's factory installed system was a continual problem, my second one was fine, and the Ducks Unlimited Avalanche I am driving now has an aftermarket one that is constantly having the bleeder valve freeze and then I have to switch it off so the pump does not keep running.
The simplicity of the basic air bag as posted is perfect.

That Air Lift system looks like the exact thing I need. When loaded up for camping, the rear sags quite a bit on mine. This looks like a cheap and easy fix. :)

Here's an install video I found: