Air bag light, what to do?

KingCarGuyZ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So a few days ago the red airbag light came on after I turned in the Jeep (Along with the warning horn). I didint think much of it and figured I would work on it when I get home.

got the Jeep home, scanned for OBD2 codes, and got nothing (I have since learned this is to be expected) tried unplugging and repluging the passenger air bag switch, light still turns on after the Jeep starts. I cleared the computer (cause why not) Light still comes on. Just been driving the Jeep for a couple days since.

from what I’m reading these airbag codes are persistent (won’t go away until cleared) and can only be cleared by a dealer computer. Is this true? Am I really going to have to hand my keys over to the monkeys behind the counter? I’m normally very much a DIY kinda guy. And would like to avoid the shop/dealer if possible.

In my search for a code reader, I seem to remember there are reader/programmers that can deal with air bag system resets.

Can’t help you with a brand or name, but I believe they’re out there. So maybe you can keep it a DIY repair.

In October I had the same issue....
Look at the bulb that illuminates the Passenger Airbag Bypass ON/OFF indicator.
The indicator bulb is probably burned out....
I purchased a replacement bulb on Amazon, disassembled the bypass switch and soldered in the new bulb; the red SRS Airbag indicator (bottom right) went away on the instrument cluster.

Last edited:
In October I had the same issue....
Look at the bulb that illuminates the Passenger Airbag Bypass ON/OFF indicator.
The indicator bulb is probably burned out....
I purchased a replacement bulb on Amazon, disassembled the bypass switch and soldered in the new bulb; the red SRS Airbag indicator (bottom right) went away on the instrument cluster.
Light is indeed out

img_8530-jpg.jpg

The bulb is soldered to the green circuit board.
You can order a bag of #7219 (12V .07 W) wheat bulbs from Amazon.

Reactions: D M and qslim
I ordered the bulbs from Amazon, $10 bucks. Ouch. Damn COVID, normally I woulda gin to Fry’s and paid maybe 99c. As it is I now have a life’s supply.

I ordered the bulbs from Amazon, $10 bucks. Ouch. Damn COVID, normally I woulda gin to Fry’s and paid maybe 99c. As it is I now have a life’s supply.
Same exact thoughts I had....
Fry's was my go to store when I needed electronic components....
I didn't have a choice since they closed during the summer months.

So ... if the light is burnt out, the airbag light in the dash will come on ? This just happened to me today.
So, from what I understand, yes. There is a thread on the forum about fixing that. You just replace the bulb. It's a solder-in, and people listed replacement bulb types as well.

Hopefully, someone will post a link to that thread. I don't know it off hand.

Edit: Duh, this is the thread!

Dumb question because I don’t have owners manual, does the passenger airbag light come on when you turn it off ? I would just go outside and check, just too dang cold.

Dumb question because I don’t have owners manual, does the passenger airbag light come on when you turn it off ? I would just go outside and check, just too dang cold.
If you’re speaking about the on/off switch for the passenger airbag, turning it on or off would not trigger the dashboard airbag light.

The bulb burning out in that passenger airbag switch will. You can only see it lit when you first start your Jeep, it doesn’t stay on once it’s running.

And you can go to the resources section and download a copy of the factory service manual for your year Jeep and have the information to research and repair your rig.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
If you’re speaking about the on/off switch for the passenger airbag, turning it on or off would not trigger the dashboard airbag light.

The bulb burning out in that passenger airbag switch will. You can only see it lit when you first start your Jeep, it doesn’t stay on once it’s running.

And you can go to the resources section and download a copy of the factory service manual for your year Jeep and have the information to research and repair your rig.
Thank you. But no, wasn’t talking about the dashboard light, talking about the light at the switch. I’ve never seen it on when I start the Jeep. Does it stay on when you turn the airbag off ?

Okay. Here’s what I found, when I start the Jeep the light does not come on, even for a second. However, i turned the passenger airbag off, and the light does work.
so, what else would cause the airbag light on the dash to come on ? Seems to be intermittent as it is off now.

452FFB30-E294-46BC-A83B-02AF76A2FA46.jpeg