Air Compressor Advice

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hello,

I would like to ask some questions about air compressors. My main goal is to fill up my tires after my off road rides.

How can I calculate how long do my tires need to be inflated?

Some examples that I found:

ARB High Output 12V - 3.08 CFM @ 0 PSI - 2.34 CFM @ 29 PSI
T-MAX AIR COMPRESSOR - 5.6 CFM
VIAIR 88P - 1.47 CFM @ 0 PSI - 1.25 CFM @ 30 PSI
VIAIR 400P - 2.30 CFM @ 0 PSI - 1.86 CFM @ 30 PSI

Does that mean that the TMAX is faster than the ARB air compressor? or is there anything else that I have to be aware of?

The T-Max doesn't include the pressure rating its 5.6 CFM was measured at so there's no way to know if its CFM rating is meaningful or BS. 5.6 CFM is high enough that my guess is it's BS.

This wont answer your question but...a friend of mine has been using the Smittybilt 2781for just over a year now to air up his 4runner and my LJ. No issues at all. Works great. Just thought I would mention this brand/model for another option.

What size tires are you running?

The T-Max doesn't include the pressure rating its 5.6 CFM was measured at so there's no way to know if its CFM rating is meaningful or BS. 5.6 CFM is high enough that my guess is it's BS.

I just found that the TMAX has 2.47 CFM @ 30 PSI.

Does anyone have any experience by the TMAX one?? because the numbers are saying that it is the faster one, but is a lot cheaper that the other ones.

I am only running ATs 29 inches, and planning on buying MUDs 31 inches, but I would like to be fast when filling up.

The Twin ARB is the fastest electric compressor I have found so far, at about 6 CFM and 100% duty cycle.

The only other kit I’m aware of that can do more are the York compressor kits, which aren’t officially rated, but people have estimated to be 10-15 CFM. These are very popular for people constantly filling large tires or running air suspension.

Beyond that I’m sure you could get a 200+ CFM compressor for a PTO, but I don’t know of any kits to install a PTO on a TJ.

I just found that the TMAX has 2.47 CFM @ 30 PSI.

Does anyone have any experience by the TMAX one?? because the numbers are saying that it is the faster one, but is a lot cheaper that the other ones.

I am only running ATs 29 inches, and planning on buying MUDs 31 inches, but I would like to be fast when filling up.
I have one that looks identical to that only it’s red, I bought it at Costco for under $50. I use it in my toy hauler for the atv tires, it’s slow and gets hot fast. I found this video. He claims this is the bigger of the T-Max’s.

I've used several different methods for airing up - these are their speeds:
  • The $79 one from Auto Zone: Super slow (7-8 minutes per tire?)
  • Viair 440: Faster, not too bad (5-7 minutes per tire)
  • ARB Dual Cannister: Fairly Fast (3-4 minutes per tire)
  • York Onboard air compressor with 2-Gal tank: Pretty fast 1-2 minutes per tire
  • CO2 Tank: Holly Sh!T fast!: 30-45 seconds per tire

Your times will vary based on tire size, exact model of compressors (I dont remember on all of mine), temperature, time of day, phase of the moon, ect - but you get the idea...

Here is a video I made comparing my ARB dual-cannister to my CO2 tank not long ago:

My current favorite is the York OBA with air-tank - it's almost as fast as the CO2 tank, but i dont have to pay to refill it every few weeks.

Last edited:
If you're going to use it fairly often and/or help others to air up, don't buy a cheap one. I would stick with Viair or ARB.
I have the Viair 450p. I picked that one because of the 100% duty cycle. However, that's not really an issue with the pressure we air up to. So the 400, with higher cfm and only 33% dc, would be a better choice.

I run the ARB TWIN AIR and I’m very happy with it, I’m never in a race to air up, I run air lockers and an air disconnect on my Sway-Loc so I just need a good dependable %100 duty cycle compressor

Reactions: JMT
I have a viair 400p and a friend has a 88. They're close enough in speed that it's hard to justify over 2x the price.
Easily 2x as fast as the hobofreight/cheap ones that a few people use.

My CO2 and Sanden OBA are very close. My Sanden fills my 35s from 8psi to 25 in 70 seconds/tire.

From full setup to take down, the Viair 88p takes about 18 minutes to fill four 33s 8-26psi. My York can do that in less than a quarter of the time.

My York fills each of my tires from 8psi to 26psi in about 65 to 70 seconds with the engine at idle. With the engine at 2,500RPMs, each tire takes 45 to 47 seconds and I can run power tools. I don't have an air tank, just the York compressor.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
My York fills each of my tires from 8psi to 26psi in about 65 to 70 seconds with the engine at idle. With the engine at 2,500RPMs, each tire takes 45 to 47 seconds and I can run power tools. I don't have an air tank, just the York compressor.
That sounds about right for my previous York too.

Reactions: Byhumba
Here is my current set up which uses a Viair 400 series compressor:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-simple-onboard-air-for-your-tj-lj-viair-400h.10235/
compressor-installation-jpg.jpg

That sounds about right for my previous York too.
TBH I don't know if I should lower the RPMs under 2,500. At one point the air flow is limited by the tire valves, or the air hoses, and not the compressor. The York will continue to increase its air output (don't know this limit for sure but I've read 9 to 10 CFM) as I increase the RPMs. I need to play a little more with the RPMs and inflation rates. I will report back.