Air Compressor Recommendations?

AceShooter

Does anyone know of a good/decent cigarette powered air compressor for airing back up after airing down? Currently running 35”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won’t be happy with how long it takes to air up a 35” tire with any air compressor that draws less than 10 amps (typical cigarette lighter fused circuit).

Any decent air compressor that is capable of pumping up 35's will run off battery leads - I've heard trying to do so with cigarette lighter ones can blow fuses too.

Reactions: JMT
I use an older model of ARB compressor (The RDCKA model), comes in a portable plastic box. It's reliable, but slow. I've heard really good things about the Viair compressors, almost bought one myself but couldn't find any in Australia.

Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor , work fine for me, will get a bit hot, note only run 32". Hooks to battery and with the length of hose and clip leads easy for your jeep and to help out others on the trail. Also work great for beach toys for the kids.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Slime makes a twin cylinder, Slime 2X HEAVY DUTY INFLATOR - 40026, Amazon carries it.
I bought one for my work truck never used it.

X2 for the viair. The 85p is about half the price now as it was when they first came out. You'll probably need a higher output unit for those 35's. I'll park an 85p under the brake booster when I get time, I'm running 31's.

I'm only giving my experience, which isn't quite what you're looking for, I tend to keep 2 Viair compressors around, the 85P, which I believe is the most CFM for the cigarette lighter types and the Viair 88P for direct battery, but this isn't a fast option for what you're looking for.

I like the 85P for someone that's not someone you want opening up the hood or just drives a regular passenger car. My girlfriend's Prius, is very hard to hook up to the battery directly so the clamp options are not good options for cars like this. The 88P I've done tractor and equipment tires often and I've actually broken the plastic on mine in my Jeep, but it still works fine.

I also have an ARB air compressor for a locker for my truck, but haven't installed it yet, but I will keep either an 88 or 85 for a spare, same for my Jeep once I can afford a locker.

Note: I never air down when I go off-road. I use this stuff just on equipment and stuff like that. Most of the mud I'm in, a wide contact pattern doesn't seem helpful and I go around rocks. I have noticed high speed and wide tires, just means getting stuck deeper (and gets me to my axle sooner) and making it worse next time. I'd rather my front axle sink and put it in R and try to find a path around. I'm not saying I'm correct as my experiences are too few in number to come up with a good statistical base, so please school me with why/how I'm incorrect if possible.